[stock] Pad Launch to Runway Recovery

Tmkx_3.jpg

Brief Background

I figured my first spacecraft in KSP should be something I felt was ambitious so I decided might as well try to make a re-usable spacecraft in homage to the recently-deceased Space Shuttle (RIP). I didn't do any research on whether this was even possible (with only the stock components) because I always feel that just limits you. 10 design iterations and many, many hilarious catastrophic failures later I wound up with the MkX Reusable Orbiter (Sorry, the whole MkI, MkII, etc were the coolest things about the name I could come up with). Steam tells me I've spent 35 hours this past week perfecting this design and its function - to lift off from the launch pad and return intact via the runway - ready to be recovered for refueling and re-attachment to orbiter stages in the VAB.

The Challenge

Your mission, Commander, is to pilot the MkX into a stable orbit and return it to the KSC completely intact. A photo of you in one piece on the runway will suffice as proof of your incredibly envious piloting skills.

Tmkx_6.jpg

There are two ways to do this challenge. First, you can go off just the information I provide about the ship below and spend time learning how it flies and performs in orbit and during the landing glide. This will obviously take more time but I know some people like to just figure things out on their own. The second option is for me to tell you exactly how to perform this challenge (I did it three times in a row to create this guide) and you simply have to learn to get good enough at it to pull it off. Sorry for the external link, was hoping to just use

tags.

The Spacecraft

A three-stage booster combination will propel the single-seat MkX into a high 1,000km+ sub-orbital trajectory from which you can create any stable orbit you desire using the orbital engine attached to the craft, capable of nearly 5 minutes of burn. The MkX comes fully-equipped with SAS and RCS systems to assist in launch, orbital and re-entry handling. Gizmos and doodads include extendable radio antennas, a science lab for sciency stuff, floodlight for night-side EVAs and ladders to assist with EVA recovery. Solar panels and two rechargeable batteries ensure constant electrical supply throughout your mission.

Tmkx_1.jpg

When it's time to return to Kerbin, the MkX is aerodynamically designed to be hands-off during re-entry burn and provide extremely efficient glide performance, capable even of gaining altitude, if not speed, in thicker air near sea level. Handling is very responsive, and while rudder-assisted shallow turns are preferred for the sake of glide performance, sharp turns are possible if not recommended. Coming in for landing, 4 main gear and a nose gear are extendable and capable of handling impact pressures of up to 50m/s, well within the MkX's glide capability. Lights in the gears will assist with night landings. Retro-thrusters are available to help slow the MkX if an overshot approach seems likely, and can also be used to brake the craft on the ground in addition to the wheel brakes (this assumes you have propellant remaining). The nose wheel steering comes unlocked so you can make it look like you landed in the center of the runway before you snap your screenshot. (Yes, just like me)

Tmkx_5.jpg

In the case of dire emergency, the MkX's command capsule is able to be detached from the rest of the spacecraft and carries two parachutes to ensure a comfortable and (initially) upright landing - or at least redundancy in the case of equipment damage/failure.

Click Here to download the vehicle file ZIP, hosted via MediaFire. Stick it in the Ships/VAB folder under your save folder.

The Rules and Good To Know Stuff

This challenge is to be carried out in a completely stock environment. Furthermore, nothing but the game's orbital burn tool and the calculator app on my iPhone were used to carry out this challenge - but that's just so you know. Referencing the Internet for information on orbital burns, re-entry, gliding, blah blah - that's all cool and encouraged. Might as well learn something along the way right?

Additionally, no editing of the ship is allowed. Nor is it needed. It has been flown in this configuration three times in a row from launch to landing with reproducible results.

Also, I feel it is important to note my use of a Saitek X52 HOTAS system in controlling this craft throughout the entire mission. I have absolutely no idea how this thing handles without a joystick and throttle. My apologies if this turns out to be a barrier for some participants.

The Reward

Bragging rights. Duh. And assurance that you do indeed have The Right Stuff. Maybe the kerbs will build a monument in your honor. Or you can pat yourself on the back.

Additional Challenges

Too easy for you? Well certainly most of you are probably a lot smarter than me so if you've made it down to the runway all nice and pretty here are a few simple ideas to spice things up a bit:

Control Assists are for Wussies

You'll probably want SAS enabled for launch, and RCS enabled before you separate the second stage. The combined launch vehicle does have some torque issues that can escalate late in the burn enough to tear the entire craft apart if not managed properly, which can be hard to do when you're also trying to maneuver to a proper heading and bank for a gravity turn. On the other hand, it is possible to fly it to orbit entirely without the help of SAS or RCS. I'm just saying.

Mountain Pass

Tmkx_4.jpg

If you re-enter directly from the west you must pass over mountains to get to the KSC. That can be a challenge in itself. But why pass over them? Get your re-entry right and there's a gap between two peaks that is just begging to be flown through! Believe it or not, you can still make the runway from here. Just believe it, ok?

Alternate Destination

Tmkx_2.jpg

There is an island due east of the KSC sporting a rugged dirt landing strip - trust me it's not some LOD thing you're waiting to transform into a good surface as you approach! As you can see, the MkX command capsule is ruggedly constructed to survive even the most daring of crash landings. But I don't suggest you try that out for yourself. Just take it easy coming down here okay? As a bonus, if you under/overshoot your approach to KSC from the east/west you can just tell everyone this is where you meant to land from the beginning.

Night Ops

Tmkx_7.jpg

The trouble with landing at night isn't so much landing as it is finding the blasted space port from orbit on the night-side of the light-forsaken Kerbin. Thankfully the KSC itself is wonderfully lit for that final approach - if you make it that far. Don't forget like me that you have landing lights.

What's that? How do you know I didn't just land in the daytime and wait for nightfall before taking this picture? Well, you don't. Guess you'll just have to do it yourself to know it can be done!

:D:D !!ABOVE ALL, HAVE FUN!! :D:D

Many kerbs died in the making of this spacecraft. I wish now I remembered their names...

Edited by Gaiiden

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.