reversed controls

O.K. so for my Mun shot I get the bright idea of putting a booster rocket in orbit first. I use a modified stock heavy lander, and put the docking port on the bottom, so when mated to my booster, and the whole thing is in line. Seemed a clever idea. However, everything on the nav ball reversed, retrograde became pro etc. So in essence I had to fly backward. What happened?

I had a similar problem launching space station parts. It sounds like your navball is centered on the docking port (which, if I understood your description, is facing backwards). This is very useful for docking, and not at all useful for other flight modes. Just right click on your command pod (or whatever is supposed to be flying your rocket) and choose "control from here", and that should fix things.

If you were able to fly backward, then awesome job!

For background info: KSP allows you to control craft from many different locations including capsules, probe cores, and docking ports. The "control from here" option (as pointed out above) sets your nav ball orientation based on the orientation of the part. So for example, if you have a probe core on sideways, the nav ball will be sideways.

It's helpful if you have rovers, landers, space planes, etc that dock in odd directions other than off the front or back.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.