So I figured out how to get America back into the space game.

Runescope

They seem quite serious.

They always do, right up until some politician pulls the budgetary rug out from under them.

That's the best thing China has going for them and the biggest thing America is lacking: The political will to spend the money to make the space program work.

They always do, right up until some politician pulls the budgetary rug out from under them.

That's the best thing China has going for them and the biggest thing America is lacking: The political will to spend the money to make the space program work.

Your forgetting our nuclear powered robot on Mars. They were willing spent money on that.

Edited by Rockcoole
I like cake!

True, and I don't mean to minimize NASA's accomplishments. It's just that I find them lacking in direction, without a clearly defined goal. If you had told me in the 80s that no NASA astronaut would set foot on another celestial body for at least 40 years, I'd have thought you were very pessimistic.

True, and I don't mean to minimize NASA's accomplishments. It's just that I find them lacking in direction, without a clearly defined goal. If you had told me in the 80s that no NASA astronaut would set foot on another celestial body for at least 40 years, I'd have thought you were very pessimistic.

I agree.

NASA is plagued with the same issues as the Soviet space program was when they were trying to reach the moon.

If I headed NASA, I would inform the government (And give the President/Vice President/Speaker of the House/Congress members a hearty package of "bonds, funds, and whatnot") we found an interstellar terriost organization hideout on the Moon who is secretly providing al-Queda with technology and that we have tons of petroleum under Shackleton, oh, yeah, and that Iran has a invisible robotic base on the lunar far side that's making WMD's. I would then propose a project to put a base on the Moon in less than ten years, and even let DARPA work on it because "We need to make sure the terriosts know we mean busniess". So we'll return to the moon, and I would then use bureaucratic paperwork to bog down any attempt to search the surronding the area or do an EVA until the base is already very well established, and then use my political influence to shutdown any attempt to search for the terriosts, saying that it would be risky and we would need to "affirm" our hold on the Moon and make it self-sufficent so the crew could fight if the alien terriosts blew up a cargo ship, because, just in case, right?

Once this is accomplished, I say it was an massive propaganda scandal by the White House, then manuveur out of the way and place the blame on the Vice President, Secretary of Defense, and President, resulting in both of them getting impeached by the general public and then overstepping my authority and pulling strings to get me nominated as the replacement President, then send bribes to the Pro Tempore of the Senate to get the Senate to vote for me. I would then ride on my "successes" in NASA and move my way to the White House Oval Office while nominating the Senator from Florida as my Vice President (Remember, Florida is a "Space State". Thus, better tides for NASA).

I then use my Presidental Powers to give Squad a government contract with the Department of Education, and require a catergory named "Offworld Studies" as a High School Science Course, which would ensure that every graduate, no matter if they work in McDonalds or something, will have a healthy understanding of Hohmann Transfers and how Black Holes form. I would also make an announcement on TV and Radio that would paint NASA in an sympathetic light and then nominate Neil DeGrasse as my Secretary of Defense and have Bill Nye become my NASA director. Following this, I would immediately withdraw from Afghanistan (And break treaties with that nation), cajole China into signing the Outer Space Treaty, change the Outer Space Treaty to allow nations to claim land for civilian use only on celestial bodies as long as said nation has proven that they can reach the land, and create a new executive department, the Department of Outer Space Affairs, and encourage/threaten the UN Secretary General to form a new office, the UN Offworld Authority, that would manage land claims and mediate conflicts.

Followed by this, I would form ties with the largest corporations in the USA, drive the US into a slight recession, then use the taxes of the Space Industry to bring the US back out of it, which results in increased public support for NASA and private companies like SpaceX. Then I would announce a plan to reach Mars in five years, and give a huge speech on the steps of the Capitol Building that would support this plan along with my Vice President and Speaker of the House, which would drive up support, and then use inside political fighting to disable/remove opponents to this plan out of office. The astronauts will land on Mars at the site of the first Mars base, and lift off after a year. When the people criticize me for all the junk left behind on the surface, I'll make a President Address talking about a Mars base.

Then I secretly manipulate Congress into removing the term limit, and run for a third term. Anyways...

Now, how far am I from this goal?

Here's a hint. I'm studying AP US Government with a 3.9 GPA and intend to run for Congress in the near future.

#NASAFanboy4POTUS

#YtheHashtag

So, almost impossibly far, then?

Bravo, bravo!

Your calculations are extremely correct!

Very much so!

(Not sarcastic)

(Though I'm applying to be an intern in Congress)

EDIT: I think I watched a little too much House of Cards.

EDIT: This does not in anyway conflict with my primary dream of becoming an astronaut.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.