New mothership [Stock][22.X]

Guest Space Cowboy

Guest Space Cowboy

DOWNLOAD CRAFT

This doesn't warrant a full Spaceport entry in my opinion but wanted to share. It is one mother of a high speed large scale airplane. I'll be picking this up later for new and improved two stage to orbit vehicle system. I put RCS on it and am not sure why. The other one worked fine without it. I tried to get something working to keep the COM unchanged from wet to dry weight, but that's didn't work out. I also plan to try to remove the canards because I consider them a cheat. I will also be removing some of the spine and many of the struts also.

screenshot712_zps4cadcd57.png

Flight around the patch (may still be processing) :

http://youtu.be/LOQZhBgEgQQ

DOWNLOAD CRAFT

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Space Cowboy

No weld it. I am flight testing a final version right now. It is good enough for a release of it's own. I am trying to get a good video right now.

It does have some minimal rocket capability. I will demo that.

screenshot730_zpsd34956ee.png

Guest Space Cowboy

>>Download Mothership II-B<<

Jets - 1

Rockets - 2

Jettison rocket tank - spacebar

Re-did the under spine straps, and the framerate kicked up, and I can't get it to break up inflight either. That was a rare occurrence, but one reason for no full Spaceport release. I added a few straps to the upper fuselage too.This thing flies very well and without SAS at all, very maneuverable. The fuel burn balance is perfect now, burning from outside tanks inward. If you look underneath it, you will see my fuel rail layout. It taps the center fuselage so burn priority is now outside (front and back) in. If you leave the rockets on even after the small rocket tank is empty you will dump unburnt fuel thru the rocket engines. When the plane is light it is even more like a fighter.

I have not named the engines yet but was thinking Rocket Dynamics Hybridyne F-101

screenshot743_zps164c9f45.png

screenshot744_zpsbcc13cfd.png

screenshot746_zpsd17f4ff0.png

screenshot745_zpsd9799f46.png

screenshot748_zps63a7db04.png

screenshot749_zpsedfb96b5.png

screenshot750_zpsd011e358.png

screenshot751_zps8ce12174.png

screenshot752_zps060122ab.png

screenshot753_zps8453b7e4.png

I have vastly reduced then engine count from 20 to 8. I am trying to lighten it and increase intake performance obviously. Since I end up throttling wayy down at the edge of the atmosphere, it stands to reason I cant use that much engine, per intake. It needs air at high altitude not a large number of engines. It needs the "right" number of engines. When the adapted the J-75 for use with the U-2 spyplane, they added a coarser blade fan to the front of the engine, sort of a turbocharger for a jet.

Edited by Space Cowboy

Guest Space Cowboy

Mated to previous shuttle. I found a trick. Although subassemblies usually only have one node, if they consist of a "top" part such as a fuselage piece - 2 nodes will be on it. This allows for reconstruction. I had to take the mothership apart by grabbing each fuselage, and the parts connected, and making subassemblies of each "slice" of the Mothership. I was then able to reconstruct with a different tree order, since each slice had 2 nodes!

screenshot755_zpsd67fb64d.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.