Triskelion Station Mk. II

Saltpeter

With my experience testing this lander, I am convinced I need extra fuel. 360 units of liquid fuel is not enough to account for rough terrain landings, adjusting trajectory to meet up with other landed vessels, righting the lander if it falls over, etc. I've added 2 45-unit tanks. I don't think any other testing is necessary. I'm ready to ship the lander to the Triskelion.

fqUYCNS.jpg

The lander is docked with the Triskelion. Joining the crew via the lander are Jerwin and Guskin Kerman!

I have decided that the rovers I plan on adding to the Triskelion's complement will be unmanned and intended for permanent landing on bodies too difficult for the lander to escape, such as Eve, Duna, and Laythe. They will have attached parachutes, just to show how serious they are about permanent landing. Tylo and Vall remain unviable.

cGqQlPl.jpg

One rover module is docked with the Triskelion. With its small size, three drogues and three radial parachutes, there should be no trouble landing on any atmospheric body. Each rover contains the full set of reusable instruments, one antenna, and two unidirectional RCS ports intended for righting itself should it invert itself.

So I realized that, with objective 6 struck from the mission, I have 12 free radial ports on the Triskelion and no particular ideas for useful modules. I'm open to suggestions. I doubt I'll need 12 more probes. They can be independent modules like probes or permanent installments like the Xenon module. I will definitely be putting two more Hitchhikers on.

I4Wamoo.jpg

The Triskelion is now fully equipped for its mission. Manning the second lander is Merkin Kerman, the final member of the Triskelion crew. KSP engineers are taking the day off to poll the community for any good ideas for modules to put on the 12 remaining radial ports, and to get themselves to stop accidentally calling him "Kerkin Merman".

Edited by Saltpeter

The Mission:

Four brave members of the KSP, Bill, Kelbald, Kirk, and Lobal, have been stranded in space for several years, and have fought hunger, isolation, and depleted oxygen waiting for rescue. The time has come to bring our kerbs home, and in one fell swoop!

1. Travel to the Mun and recover the Lander test crew.

2. Travel to the Duna system and retrieve Bill Kerman from Ike.

3. Drop a rover on the surface of Duna.

4. Travel to Dres and retrieve Kirk, Kelbald, and Lobal.

a) Kirk and Kelbald are on the surface.

B) Lobal is in a lander with a highly inclined orbit over Dres.

5. Travel to the Joolian system:

a) Drop a rover on the surface of Laythe.

B) Use probes to collect science from Tylo, Vall, and Jool.

c) Plant flags on Pol and Bop.

6. Return to Hexaflexagon Station and bring the stranded kerbs home.

I made this ship to be able to do a single grand tour of the entire Kerbolar system, but bringing back our stranded kerbs takes priority this time. We'll have plenty of time for a lengthier, more glorious mission.

Edited by Saltpeter

In the interest of saving my computer for any more of the rack, I'm starting the mission early and establishing a Munar orbit to begin the mission. It's moment of truth time!

mq6taQ7.jpg

With a gentle RCS push, the Triskelion says goodbye to Hexaflexagon Station. It's time for adventure! Jerwin and Guskin are doing their famous "We're going to the moon!" dance in their seats.

Mission status:

a8un0Ek.png

The Triskelion has achieved a reasonable Munar orbit. The question is whether or not to attempt a landing with this orbit to save on fuel, or to circularize at 60km like a proper kerbonaut should. The rovers have large amounts of fuel and only go one way, so they can be dropped from high orbit. Landers are round trip, so I have to make absolutely sure I can get back before I depart.

My vote is for the landers to make the trip if it's within their ability. Think how much fuel Triskelion would destroy circularizing, compared to a lander. Not to mention how much fuel it would burn breaking back out of said orbit, too. Worst case - So long as your lander can make it back to any orbit, Trisky can always go get it after that anyway.

The lander says goodbye to the Triskelion.

7FynfiZ.png

Eh, close enough.

CrfxIYR.png

It's important to note that this trip will have to be done twice. There are no robotic modules on the lander and there's only room for two in the can, so the two-kerb test crew will have to be lifted one at a time.

Inexplicably, despite a more fuel efficient landing, the lander ran out of fuel trying to meet up with the Triskelion this time. With the last bit of fuel the lander got a kind-of concentric orbit. Some RCS wizardry made the rendezvous possible. Never underestimate the power of RCS.

3OpwhHV.png

The KSP crew is getting a lot of experience with the maneuver tool. Mechjeb hasn't been used for anything except docking alignment since the Triskelion left Kerbin. In a single maneuver, the Triskelion will transfer to Duna from the Mun.

zxBNX6D.png

Unfortunately I misjudged the encounter a bit. The orbit burn is going to be very expensive, at 1510 delta-v. HOWEVER, while adjusting the burn to remedy some of that inclination, I got an Ike encounter! This is good, it'll allow me to pick up Bill Kerman easily enough and allow me to plan for the next phase of the mission in a relatively controlled environment.

9eOPnix.png

Bang-up job, Jerwin! Reuniting with the Triskelion should be a piece of cake with this amount of fuel remaining. I can get some science in along the way. I'll correct the Triskelion's inclination before the rendezvous, so I can tave on fuel for the Dres transfer.

UtKy0Yp.jpg

Bill Kerman has been watching the libration of Duna, contemplating his existence, and holding his breath for the past seven and a half years. Somehow he's figured out how to breathe carbon dioxide and exhale EVA fuel. With a full tank, it'll be easy for him to reach the lander.

Rbupyjx.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.