Setting up a comm satellite network for Remotetech2

Hi all

I am currently attempting to set up a commsat network around Kerbin for Remotetech, consisting of 3 satellites in geosynchronous orbit. From what I've seen on a few tutorials and Youtube videos, I should be able to do this with 3 satellites, and the satellites should be able to communicate with each other with the Communotron32 antenna.

However, it absolutely refuses to work for me. By the time I get the second satellite to about 120 degrees from the first one (position roughly over KSC), the second satellite has no communication with anything. I've tried satellites using the Communotron32 antenna. I've tried satellites using the dish with the 90Mm range (which should be overwhelmingly excessively long range for what I need). I've tried everything I have. The probe/CPU I'm using does work, because I know the first satellite works just fine. If it matters, though, it is using the "RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit)" for its probe module.

What could I be doing wrong? Do I have to give up on limiting this to 3 satellites and make it 4? Do I need to redesign the satellite with a different probe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Edited by StoneC0ld

If you are using a dish to communicate with your satellites you need to make sure a dish on either end is pointed to it's respective satellite and activated, if you are using an omni-antenna you need to make sure the distance between the two satellites is less than the range of the shortest omni on the opposing satellite. It can be done with 3 if you put them up in KSO. You will need to ensure that your orbital period is exactly 6 hours, your actual altitude is less important (but you should be close)

Another note on using Dishes: You can point the dish at a celestial body (Such as Kerbin or the Mun) and it will communicate with everything within the cone of coverage. If the cone is too small you won't be able to get a signal, so the larger the cone the better.

3 satellites at 2860Km @ 120' spacing would be 5Mm apart, or at the range of the C32's, so if you're a super robot you might (might!) be able to manage this (but any slight fluctuation would break it)

If you want to run with the C-32 Omni antenna's then I recommend 4 satellites (6 hour orbital period @ 90' spacing). Getting a 6:00:00.0 orbital period is a lot easier to set than using exact altitudes (especially with thrust limiting), and your satellites will keep formation over a very long time.

I can't really recommend dishes at this point in the network (for Kerbin local comms), you'd need multiple dishes per satellite just to link them to each other, then more to link with KSC, then even more dishes for communicating to other vessels around Kerbin. And all the handshaking/links would have to be set.

I can't really recommend dishes at this point in the network (for Kerbin local comms), you'd need multiple dishes per satellite just to link them to each other, then more to link with KSC, then even more dishes for communicating to other vessels around Kerbin. And all the handshaking/links would have to be set.
I use 3 sats at KSO 120° apart. Each one has 3 "network" DTS-M1 dishes. 2 point at the other two sats and the third points at mission control. Very quick and easy to set up.

I use 3 sats at KSO 120° apart. Each one has 3 "network" DTS-M1 dishes. 2 point at the other two sats and the third points at mission control. Very quick and easy to set up.

Four satellites with just one omni antenna each gives you total local cover with no setup beyond getting them into the correct orbits.

Change that for dish based interconnects and (beyond the orbital setup) you additionally need to set up three handshakes per satellite (pro-retro-ground), while needing to include an omni antenna for coverage anyway. The three dish + an omni setup will also need a lot more power.

I didn't say it wasn't possible, just that I can't recommend it.

If there are still minisats, get 12 of them in LKO and set half of them prograde at different speeds and half the other way also at unique speeds (orbit speed +1,3,5,7,9,13 and the same negative). They spread out after an orbit or two and you never lose signal...

A couple of polar uplink sats and the system is your oyster

3 satellites at 2860Km @ 120' spacing would be 5Mm apart, or at the range of the C32's, so if you're a super robot you might (might!) be able to manage this (but any slight fluctuation would break it)

Actually, three KSO satellites will be 6 Mm apart, so no super robotics will help you. Either place four satellites, or lower the orbit (in RemoteTech, there's no benefit to a stationary orbit other than roleplaying), or use the DTS-M1 dishes as Nathair describes. The Communotron 32 is still useful in your configuration, though, since it nicely covers low orbit and Kerbin's surface.

I've got a 4 satellite network in a 750km orbit. 90 degree separation, all with the same orbital period. Communotron 32's linking them all together with no trouble reaching down to Mission Control. All of them with a far-reaching dish pointed at the active vessel. Easy day. =)

If its a distance problem i recommend making adjustments to the "GameData\Remotech2\RemoTech_Settings.cfg" file.

The second line should say something like: RangeMultiplier = 1

If you change this to 2 you'll effectively double the comm range of your antennas.

I changed this number to get Remotech2 to work with for my real solar system modded save, and it works great.

I chose to use a six satellite network in geosynchronous orbit. They easily stay in contact with each other using the communtron 32 and have two dishes mounted on them for keeping connections with deep space probes.

Trying to keep your satellite count down so low is just going to make things harder on you now and later. It's harder to get setup and you'll have less dishes to make direct connections with probes.

The communication networks with RT2 is something that you need to fiddle around in order to get.

I would say use Communotron 32's and set up altitude of 1500km. If you plan to use just 3 this should get you plenty of wiggle room, even if 120 degrees separation.

Also, note that matching exact altitude is not as important as matching orbital period. I typically do it like this:

1. Launch 1st satellite, and try to get as circular orbit as possible 1500x1500 ideally, then note the Orbital Period

2. For second and 3rd satellite i try to get it approx to 1500x1500, but i make sure i DO MATCH the Orbital Period while satellites are approx 120 deg apart

In my Interplanetary guide - Step 1 i have described the type of the satellite that I am using to communicate throughout Kerbol system, and the reasons for having so many dishes.

Hi all

Pardon the delay in responding, been a little busy...

Thank you all for your input.

I have not decided yet whether I'll add another satellite or two to make it 5/6 satellites in geo, abandon plans to put the satellites in geo and put 3-4 satellites at a lower orbit or simply tweak the files to extend the range to make my currently existing set of 4 sats fully functional as-is. I'll figure that out when I get some more time for KSP...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.