[WIP] CoffeeIndustries Plane Parts - Jetliner and cargo planes

CoffeeSE

Heat tile belly or sky blue camo?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Heat tile belly or sky blue camo?

• Heat tile
    • Sky blue camo

Question - will the 5-meter aircraft have the tolerances to land on water?

Your model looks airboat-y and I *think* seaplanes have been done before, though using stand-off floats.

Well you can land anything on the water if it's going slow enough. The non-swept wings I'm making for the 5.0 metre fuselages will have a lot of lift, so you should be able to fly it at low speeds safely. I'm not sure if it'll float on the water, maybe I'll add some wing mountable pontoons and such, I'll get back to you on that one :P

• 2 weeks later...
Alpha download for 2.5 metre parts and wings via dropbox:

CLICK ME

Subject to change. More info in first post.

Work on larger cargo fuselages and cockpits is continuing.

great, glad to see you back ;). Thanks for the update.

(you're first post become full of edits :D)

By the way, why plane parts mod need so much memory :cool: ?

Edited by Justin Kerbice

By the way, why plane parts mod need so much memory :cool: ?

It's because I'm using .MBM files for textures right now, they're bigger than .TGA files. The final release will have .TGA for textures, which should reduce the size by about 80%. A 16MB .MBM file in .TGA is about 2.5 MB. I'm just trying to figure out why my .TGAs have a red hue that the .MBMs don't have. :P

It's because I'm using .MBM files for textures right now, they're bigger than .TGA files. The final release will have .TGA for textures, which should reduce the size by about 80%. A 16MB .MBM file in .TGA is about 2.5 MB. I'm just trying to figure out why my .TGAs have a red hue that the .MBMs don't have. :P

Don't know why they made this uselessannoying format ! :huh: Perhaps one of their 1st sponsor was a memory manufacturer !

What is your workflow with those textures ? Most importantly, how do you detect this "red hue" ?

Don't know why they made this uselessannoying format ! :huh: Perhaps one of their 1st sponsor was a memory manufacturer !

What is your workflow with those textures ? Most importantly, how do you detect this "red hue" ?

I just eyeball it, the red hue is very noticeable when compared with a .MBM texture when the .TGA is exported from Unity. Haven't tried exporting from Photoshop directly though. Might be better if I just export directly from Photoshop. I usually export as .PNG from Photoshop for and convert it to .MBM or .TGA.

Do some testing today: the cargo bay is great but not in the size meaning :), it's quite too small, I can't even put a small rover inside (rovermate body + 4 of the smallest wheels), and kerbals slept when trying to move on the ramp. With a kerbal around, I just see the ramp is barely two kerbals wide.

Don't mean to be harsh but such "tiny" size for C-130 named parts is kind of a joke :). Where Jeb and his friends could put all their luggages ? (Ok, they don't have any :P).

Maybe it's a big RC plane.

EDIT: it looks like space on disks doesn't means space in memory, at least with 1/2 tex size setting + ATM plug-in, memory usage of KSP with even KSOS barely go over 2 GB, knowing I don't have thousands of active flights running using those mods.

Edited by Justin Kerbice
add memory usage info

Do some testing today: the cargo bay is great but not in the size meaning :), it's quite too small, I can't even put a small rover inside (rovermate body + 4 of the smallest wheels), and kerbals slept when trying to move on the ramp. With a kerbal around, I just see the ramp is barely two kerbals wide.

Don't mean to be harsh but such "tiny" size for C-130 named parts is kind of a joke :). Where Jeb and his friends could put all their luggages ? (Ok, they don't have any :P).

Maybe it's a big RC plane.

EDIT: it looks like space on disks doesn't means space in memory, at least with 1/2 tex size setting + ATM plug-in, memory usage of KSP with even KSOS barely go over 2 GB, knowing I don't have thousands of active flights running using those mods.

Oh ya, the so called "C-130" fuselages aren't actually gonna be in the final release, as they're too small too be useful. They're just left over names from before. :P

I'll probably name the 3.75 metre fuselages to C-130 and stuff.

Oh ya, the so called "C-130" fuselages aren't actually gonna be in the final release, as they're too small too be useful. They're just left over names from before. :P

I'll probably name the 3.75 metre fuselages to C-130 and stuff.

Why not keeping them ? A bonus maybe :)

Mini-Cargo for small/tiny rovers, probes, small parts. Maybe not useful but funny.

3.75 is more close to the old C-47 or the C-27, C-130 might be at least 5m, and as you're on this way, why not something bigger ? (up to 10m or more, rounded to a KSP "standard" size or not), damned :huh: it will mean bigger wings, bigger engines, bigger everything :D !

Here it is. The cockpit uses .MBM, while the fuselage has .TGA. There's a pinkish tint all over the fuselage. Don't know why...

http://i.imgur.com/2qkGADU.png

Maybe it's me, maybe it's my monitor settings or maybe it's the picture itself and/or compression but it's definitely not so obvious !

One lead is the colormap used, I remember the mess made with IE (in 2009) with CYMK pictures, firefox was ok, but IE display blue-ish pics, seriouly a lot more messed up than your tex. Unity could also do some change to the colormap while converting tex.

I know that you weren't planning on releasing the 2.5 meter cargo fuselage and ramp but could you please release them. I like using the stock parts to build planes but it would be useful to have a cargo ramp. Thanks

tbh the 2.5M cargo bay and ramp actually work , they provide a decent base when hauling small contianers (resupply palettes) out to the island airbase what we need is a small strong small Cargo Docking item we can use to put cargo on and off the craft :o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.