The Collaborative Adventure

Tex

Hey all! Here's my first attempt at a game.

The rules are simple: We are all taking a wonderful journey together! You must keep adding on to the story, and it will be like a step-by-step adventure game. Like Zork.

You must include your reaction to the environment posted above, and a description of what you see afterwards. Please try to use only 1st-person perspective, so we can all share the same consciousness! Example:

Post 1: I wake up in a mysterious room. [This is the Action]

There is a table against one wall, a door opposite it. On the table is a folded note. The door is unlocked. [and this is the Description]

Post 2: I take the folded note and read it. It states that there is a monster coming to get me, and I have until nightfall to escape the house in which this room lies. (it is morning at this time)

Seems simple? Good! I'll pick up from where the example started on.

- - - Updated - - -

I pocket the note and head out the door.

The hallway has an old wardrobe near the door, and leads off to two more rooms and a staircase.

I examine the old wardrobe; it seems to be made of polished ebony with ivory handles, slightly taller than myself. Inside, I find a heavy trenchcoat, which I put on. The material is a little abrasive and smells faintly of ash.

The staircase is old and rickety, spiralling up at least three floors. The wood is old, but very sturdy, though the carpet coverings are moth-eaten and moldy. An ominous presence seems to emanate from somewhere higher up, but I sense that it is preoccupied with keeping out of the sunlight and will not be moving much until evening at the earliest. One of the two other rooms on this floor is locked, though I cannot see a key-hole, but the other door stands ajar. The room is old and worn, but seems safe enough. A large window occupies one of the walls.

• 2 weeks later...

I peer out of the window. The window is covered in grime, making it difficult to see out of, but it seems that I am currently on the third or fourth floor of this house, with no known safe route down.

There is an old desk in the corner of the room, on the desk is an open, yellowing book and a quill sitting in a dried up ink well. The book seems to be some sort of diary, or journal, but it is difficult to read, as the writing is little more than a hurried scrawl, and ink blots cover most of the page. The date is barely readable, but reads: '15 June, 1736'. A number of discarded pieces of paper litter the floor near the desk.

I have the awful feeling that something is in the room with me...

I turn around to see the monster.

I see a tall, grey, skinny, faceless, shivering monster with a bulbous head. There is a gun and 12 bullets further down a corridor, and a longer corridor leading to a door.

Which Way?

Panicked, I run for the gun. The gun is an old American Civil War pistol, with considerable damage around the muzzle. I hurriedly pick it up and as it is already loaded, I turn and fire at the approaching monster.

The bullet passes straight through the monster, being nothing more than a hallucination, a projected image coming from the evil presence upstairs. Seeing clearly the hallucination for what it is, it fades out, having no more power over me. I start to worry that the next threat will be more physical.

I re-load the pistol.

I hear chimes of an old grandfather clock coming from elsewhere in the house. I am running out of time.

I head for the door in the other corridor, and i am now free! Outside, at last!

I am in a old mountain pathway. I estimate there to be 2 miles of unstable wooden trail, possibly leading to civilization, or the much more safe path to the bottom of the mountain.

Which way?

I suddenly stop, and realise that I can not possibly be outside, because I am still on the third or fourth floor of the old house. How can I have opened a door on the third or fourth floor, and suddenly end up outside at ground level? Realising this, reality re-asserts itself and the illusion disappears. I am standing at the top of a flight of missing stairs, with a long drop down into a basement. Another step and I would have fallen to my death.

The evil presence seems to be using a much more dangerous form of attack, that of false hope. Perhaps I should capitalise the E and the P. Yes, Evil Presence seems much more appropriate.

Now how to get down safely? Hmmm...

Realizing that i am EXTREMELY brave, I jumped with knowledge of surviving falls, and i bend my legs, don't lock them up, and try to grab things on my way down.

I survive with no injuries.

There is an ominous looking door over there. And a strange noise is heard right behind me. Non-holographic spiny hands massage my shoulders and a cold emotionless voice says "You look tasty...." "Don't turn around! HeheHEHEHAHA"

Edited by Souper

I bust through a second door in a head on sprint, breaking the door jam that it was locked to.

I then quickly turn around and attempt to bar the door with a near by chair.

After I calm my self I look around only to realize I'm in the same room as the one I had encounter the monster in.

As I reach for the key, however, the beast begins to stir. I yank my hand back in shock, and quickly turn around, unbar the door, and make my quick escape into the previous room. I slam the door behind me and press my ear to the keyhole, listening for movement.

I can hear loud scrapes and thumps as the monster attempts to right itself. I also realize that this key could be important in the future, but how do I get it?

I shoot the monster through the door.

He dies, and i take the rusty key, and see a trapdoor going through the basement. There is a blue and orange glow underneath, and i can see a black and white gun-like device making the glow.......

A closer look through the opening reveals that the gun-like device sits on some sort of pedestal in the middle of a large, clean, white chamber. Every few seconds, the device rotates through 90 degrees (0.5 pi radians, if you prefer), and fires a some sort of projectile at the wall. Where the projectile hits the wall, a strange thing happens. A large oval hole appears in the wall, some sort of wormhole, or portal, to another part of the chamber.

Before I can move however, a woman in an orange jumpsuit runs up to the device and takes it from the pedestal, then runs off again.

I think it is still possible to get down into the chamber, but part of me questions the sanity of doing so.

The drop appears to be about ten meters straight down onto an unforgiving-looking tile floor. A central part of me really, really wants to investigate the chamber further, so with a deep breath, I lower myself as much as possible and drop.

The result was a lot more pain than I had bargained for, and causes me to pass out. When I reawaken, I notice that I cannot move one of my feet- my ankle must be broken. I appears that I have not been out for very long, because I can see the woman in the orange jumpsuit speed through a door and a glowing-blue, transparent field. Then, before I move another inch, the circular door slams shut, locks, and the light goes out. I cannot see anything at all for the darkness, and I can hear the bubble of an evil-sounding liquid gently sloshing around the chamber pillar I came to land on.

Another one of the portal devices lies right next to me. I pick it up, and back away from the liquid, with adrenaline making me ignore the pain of a broken ankle. I then learn to use the device, and shoot a portal to the far side of the chamber.

A grey ball with a single, blue eye and a British accent opens up one of the wall panels and we escape the chamber, with me holding the gun. It is called the ASHPD.

Edited by Souper

Another one of the portal devices lies right next to me. I pick it up, and back away from the liquid, with adrenaline making me ignore the pain of a broken ankle. I then learn to use the device, and shoot a portal to the far side of the chamber.

A grey ball with a single, blue eye and a British accent opens up one of the wall panels and we escape the chamber, with me holding the gun. It is called the ASHPD.

(OOC) Hey, I'm really sorry to do this, but I notice that a lot of your posts on the thread lack the detail required to drive, and involve actions that are just a tad OP. Try to stick to a little bit more realism, please.

The lights are still inactive, and my only source of guidance is this mysterious ball. He tells me that I don' belong here, and my presence could be very, very bad. He quickly assists me in hobbling over to something that feels like a curved glass panel, but just as I feel the glass it slides open and I am thrusted in. The force of the eyeballed-ball pushing me causes me do drop the portal device, but before I can reach for it the door slams shut. Suddenly, I am shot upwards at tremendous speed, the pain in my ankle nearly unbearable. I am ejected into a room, and before I know what's happened, I hit the wooden floor and again slip into unconsciousness.

I awake minutes later to find I am, again, back in the room with the trapdoor. I lay on my back, ankle throbbing and swollen, and try to wonder how to get out of this crazy place without killing myself.

Edited by Maximus97

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.