In-Game Joystick Calibration

Given that Unity appears to have issues with joysticks (like this and this) it would be good if this could be sidestepped by having the calibration take place in-game.

I remember this working well in DOS games 20 years ago, so surely it's possible?

edit: in case anyone is searching for solutions to joystick problems, I managed to get mine (Thrustmaster T Flight Stick X on Linux) working merely by ensuring every axis was centred before starting KSP - fortunately, the throttle has a detent at its 50% setting, which makes this easier than it would otherwise be

Edited by S4qFBxkFFg

I would suggest you to direct your pressure to fix this issue at Unity. Getting them to fix their joystick handling would benefit a lot more games than just KSP. It would also be much more convenient for the KSP players when they would have properly configured joysticks out-of-the-box and wouldn't have to use an ingame calibration tool.

Unfortunately good joystick support has fallen out of the focus of most PC game engines, because the joystick as an input device for PC games moved more and more into a niche area over the past 20 years.

Edited by Crush

Unfortunately good joystick support has fallen out of the focus of most PC game engines, because the joystick as an input device for PC games moved more and more into a niche area over the past 20 years.

That's so true. There used to be dozens of choices in the joystick market, now it's just a handful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.