The Kult of the Kraken - Proj 5 "Kwiznos" 05/03/14 (Modlist added to first post!)

KeithStone

Hello Everyone! I present to you my newest Kerbal-brained project. As I built and designed a couple of vessels in sandbox, a story started to brew. So here you go, the heavily modded story of....

The Kult of the Kraken

Ever since the first rockets were launched from Kerbin, strange reports of awkward physics and mysterious events have been documented. The governments of Kerbin do their best to deny these claims, and entire reports have had vital details “accidentally highlighted in solid blackâ€Â. For years few took notice, or were quickly distracted by government issued “happy snacks†and “forgittabatit cupcakes†(with gel coated “sprinkles†for easy swallowing) followed by all-day broadcasts of trees dancing to repetitive music, occasionally flashing the words “EVERYTHING IS NORMAL†on the screen.

There were, however, a few curious kerbals that dug deeper, trying to expose the truth. Talented hackers found references to a being known as “The Krakenâ€Â, that was thought to be the cause of so many issues. As the word spread, KSC made a horror movie about the beast dubbed “Kthulu the Fake and the Rubber Monster Fight†in an attempt to fictionalize the idea and label the conspiracy theorists as fanboys of the film.

The plan backfired, and soon there were hundreds, then thousands, then millions that began to worship the idea, believing that the Kraken could save them from their boring lives. Leaders started to appear, recruiting members in to the “Kult of the Krakenâ€Â, a group guaranteeing salvation for all. The idea spread like wildfire, and Kerbin was on the cusp of a global disaster as whole cities took to the streets, abandoning their jobs and families “In the Kraken's nameâ€Â.

In a last ditch effort, KSC agreed to send the core leaders of the group off-world to do as they desire, so long as the leaders agreed to help steer the minds of the weak to return to work and other more mundane activities that didn't question KSC's motives. The leaders agreed, and 80 members were selected to head to space. They demanded that a momentous space station be built worthy of housing such devoted worshipers. Supplies would have to be sent regularly to ensure the leaders continued cooperation in keeping order on Kerbin by broadcasting updates and messages of hope and peace.

By request, the mods that I am using are below. Please note that I have made minor changes to a few parts (Using the smaller magnetometer as an ore scanner, for example) and removed parts that I dont use from each mod in a desperate attempt to keep my part count load, so hat's off to you if you install everything in the below and load the game without errors :)

Parts Mods

Extraplanetary Launchpads

Baha EPL parts pack

BobCat HOME 2

Bohan Quantum Struts

Davon Supply Mod

Deadly Reentry

DMagic Orbital Science

Firespitter Plane parts

Goodspeed Aerospace parts

Hooligan Labs Airships

Hooligan Labs SQUID landing gear

Kerbal Attachment System

Procedural Fairings

Procedural Wings

Kethane

Kotysoft's NRAP test weight

KW Rocketry

LackLusterLabs stock extension

LackLusterLabs Standard

Infernal Robotics

Spherical/Toroidal fuel tanks

Near Future Propulsion Pack

6S Compartment Tubes

PorkWorks Habitation Pack

R&S Capsuledyne Taurus HCV

RBI Tracks reborn

Rollkage MK2

ScanSAT

TT Multiwheels

AIES Aerospace

Informational/Other plugins

Toolbar Plugin

Aggressive Texture Compression

Editor Extensions

Kerbal Engineer

MechJeb

Burn Together

Modular Fuel Tanks

NavyFish's Docking Port Alignment indicator

Protractor

SelectRoot

Ship Manifest

TAC Fuel Balancer

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Tweakable Everything

Project 1 “Octopedesâ€Â

The giant station was designed by the core leaders, much to the chagrin of the engineers at KSC. It was to be an orbital construction facility with the capacity to build enormous ships. Even completely empty of resources, the beast would weigh over five-hundred and fifty tons, more than double KSC's prior maximum payload launches. Hundreds of designs and simulations were tested, and all of them failed. The Kult of the Kraken joined in seance and the next day the first successful design was simulated. The Kult claimed it was due to their diligence, when in all reality it was found that the server was running on power saving mode due to the power cable being loose, causing many a destructive frame-skip. The final design was taped and glued together, then hastily sent to space. Eager to get the Kult leaders off-world, KSC enlisted the help of the Devon Supply Group to bring supplies to the massive vessel, and once satisfied the leaders hopped in to a shell made from 5 re-purposed aircraft coach cabins and docked with the station. Victorious, the leaders began their broadcasts to Kerbin, and peace was restored.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

But this was only the beginning for the Kult of the Kraken.....

Edited by KeithStone
"octopedes" is the most formally correct plural of octopus, since the root is greek. Octopi is a latin plural, and octopuses an english one. However all plural forms are ok for use.

Project 2: Codename 046

With the Kult of the Kraken leaders now off world, life on Kerbin returned to its (relatively) normal state.

High in orbit, in the Squidstructor space station, things were a little different. With access to a complete, top-notch research, development, and construction facility, the Kult leaders knew that it was only a matter of time before they would be unable to leach off of the vast resources of Kerbin. Their only choice was to slowly begin working on the undermining of the Kerbal leadership, slowly but surely bringing the entire race to their cause.

The first order of business was to establish a more permanent base in the Kerin system. With few aerospace experts on board, the Kult leaders decided a mission to Duna to claim an outpost was in order, and they devised a monstrous machine capable of making the trip as well as roving over the landscape. It was fitted with drilling and mining equipment, kethane and ore scanners, mapping devices, and a small construction pod. Inflatable habitation space would allow some breathing room for the crew of 10. Fueled up with barely enough rocketfuel to make the trip, the “Konstructing Religious Artifacts Before Kerbal Ascention Kollection Event†or “KRABKAKE†was born.

The Krabkake's construction went smoothly, and once completed at the construction pad, the vessel was remotely brought around to dock with the station, and ten brave souls were selected to embark to Duna. The trip was long, but uneventful, and as they arrived in Duna's SOI their orbital inclination was adjusted to provide an optimal scanning polar orbit.

Much to their surprise, Duna was nearly void of kethane resources. Luckily, ore was incredibly abundant, and a landing site was found that contained both decent ore and kethane deposits. This would keep them from having to build kethane transporting infrastructure right away and allowed them to focus on their bigger plans.

The first construction to breach the maw of the Krabkake was the Seadragon construction rover. What it lacked in the cool acronym name category it made up for in utility. Able to right itself from any position, the Seadragon was a heavy rover-crane. With the added metal storage bay “tail†the Seadragon would be able to counterbalance the heaviest crane loads, and with its four extendable pylons, the rover would be able to lock itself against the ground to aid in manuvering large loads.

So far, the future looked bright for the Kult of the Kraken. Another day's worship for their invisible monster deity complete.

Edited by KeithStone
The krabkake originally didnt have living pods on top. Codename 046 referneces the pokemon Paras, which has a striking resemblence

Wow, I'm honored! I've always loved some of your incredible planes! Thanks!

My stuff is a pale shadow compared to the Glorious Kraken! :) I'm grooving on your overall aesthetic and ships that spawn ships.

OMNES FLENTES PROIECTERUNT SESE AD PEDES KRAKENI!

Edited by Geschosskopf

Project 3: Flying Larva

On Duna, the rolling hills of the Kult's chosen landing spot would be rather trecherous for the Krabkake to traverse. Though it could roll on its four massive tracks, these would mostly be for repositioning, especially due to the added weight of the ore, metal, and rocketparts that were currently being stored, rendering it tediously slow.

Altimeter data was available for analysis, but due to the lower orbit used to gain data on ore and kethane desposits, the data was neither accurate nor comprehensive. A visual feed was deemed useful to help better understand their current location and surroundings.

A probe was designed to scout the mountain in the distance and relay information about the Kult's surroundings. This probe, the Polyp, was a quadropter with a near unlimited distance due to it's fusion core. In the event of a core shutdown, the solar panels could charge it's batteries and allow it to get back home, where it could be serviced.

The probe was built, and the seadragon helped right it to launch position. After deploying its rotors and thermal fins, the polyp was launched, and it's hovering capabilities tested. After the initial tests were complete, the Kult piloted the probe to a higher altitude and headed to the mountain.

Nearing their destination, an attempt was made to kill the polyp's now rather high horizontal velocity. Not realizing that the mountain was in fact rather high, and the Kult's reliance on computers to do most of their flying meant they lacked any real piloting skills, the Kult was unable to reduce their velocity enough in the thin atmosphere to keep the probe from clipping the top of the mountain. Explosions ensued, and the probe was rendered useless 20 km away from their landing site after rolling some ways down the side of said mountain.

Knowing that their deity was a master of destruction and chaos, they heralded this as a sign. Their first monument would have to be built there, where the first tremors of the Kraken's influence were witnessed.

Edited by KeithStone
I've been trying to work a nuclear quadcopter of some sort in to a dozen missions. This one is by far my favorite build, being light on parts and looking like a very angry medusae

That's really impressive, how you managed the compact design of the lil' bugger.

How did you manage to tuck the props in so neatly? Every time I've sent VTOLs to other planets they're either true planes or awkward single engined frankenprobes, begging for death.

I'm suspecting infernal robotics in play, but I've no clue how to use it.

Still, pretty cool. Would love to see what you've come up with next!

Yeah, almost all of my vehicles require infernal robotics. The propellers are mounted on firespitter parts (I think the "paddles" are for mounting the plane floats for landing on water), that are then mounted on folded hinges from IR. The quadropter design works well as long as you have mechjeb translatron or Smart A.S.S on. In my opinion, infernal robotics is just as vital a mod as kethane and KAS. If i could only have 3 mods, those would be it. :) Infernal isnt very difficult to use once you get the hang of it, but it can be a little dodgy at times if you arent used to it. I recommend using it on a new save/install until you're comfortable with the parts.

Ingenious use of the Firespitter pontoon struts for the engine mounts! Firespitter is one of my essential mods, mostly for the pontoons which make for the easiest seaplanes and boats. Wonderful things. Plus, these days, a lot of other mods now use the Firespitter dll.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Infernal Robotics myself. I'd be using it in my current "The Works" game if it actually worked in 23.5. I see it's making progress in that direction but I'll wait for a release version instead of one of the prototype builds. This reminds me to check up on it.

Ingenious use of the Firespitter pontoon struts for the engine mounts! Firespitter is one of my essential mods, mostly for the pontoons which make for the easiest seaplanes and boats. Wonderful things. Plus, these days, a lot of other mods now use the Firespitter dll.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Infernal Robotics myself. I'd be using it in my current "The Works" game if it actually worked in 23.5. I see it's making progress in that direction but I'll wait for a release version instead of one of the prototype builds. This reminds me to check up on it.

The newest build is pretty stable in 23.5, i havent had any issues other than the fact that robotics parts seem to count for about four times the number of regular parts when it comes to draining the physics engine, but that was almost always the case. I need to reduce the number of IR parts I have on a few of my ships....

Project 4: Sacrifice

The Kult members of Duna knew that their future was in constructing a great tribute on the mountain in the distance, but several members we getting cranky at the cramped conditions of the Krabcake. It was decided that first, they would expand upon their landing site by putting up a few homes.

The first Krakenhome was designed by Freebart Kerman as a welcome and cozy place to relax while still keeping one's mind constantly focused on the Kraken. Coming in at just over seven tons, it would be the largest construction to be built using the mobile Krabcake's facilities. This meant it would be a perfect time to test the Seadragon's counterbalance weight system.

Since he took charge of the operation, Freebart was the first Kerbal of the Kult to leave the safety of the Krabcake and finally set foot on Dunan soil. Upon inspecting the Seadragon, he noted that it had an access port for filling the counterweight with metal, but the Krabcake didnt have any sort of transfer system installed. Freebart called for a toolbox to be sent out to assist him, and decided to take a nap while they others gathered what he needed.

The diatom automated rover toolbox was constructed, and several calls went out over the radio in an attempt to wake Freebart. Thinking he was just in a deep sleep, the Kult went ahead and righted the diatom on its wheels before attempting to wake Freebart more forcefully....by dropping the seadragon's electromagnet on his head.

Failing to wake him still, it was decided that the Kult could have a little fun at his expense. Manufacturing a giant claw, Hufred Kerman exited the Krabcake to attach the “violent shaking device†to the seadragon. Several attempts were made to grab Freebart, but the claw passed right through him, as if he were already a ghost. The Kraken was showing itself in full force.

Hufred planted a flag to mark the burial spot of Freebart, and chanted out in the Kraken's name. Freebart's body, suit and all, disappeared in a wisp of smoke. Hufred continued on Freebart's mission, using the parts from the diatom to fill the seadragon's counterweight.

Once properly weighted, it was surprising how well the seadragon was able to lift and manuever the seven-ton home. It was set down gently, and it's solar cells and lights were remotely activated in Freebart's name. For his services, Hufred was offered the home of Freebart while more were constructed. He got inside, to watch the building of their colony from afar.

The second Krakenhome was soon set down as gently as the first, and as the seadragon lifted it high the kult felt as if just for a moment, time moved more quickly. But as soon as it started, time screamed to a halt, and the second krakenhome was nothing but a massive cloud above the seadragon, which now swung wildly at the sudden loss of weight against straining servos.

Rodbrett Kerman, the historian in the group, found a reference to the possibility of the number of space-faring parts having to do with the summoning of the Kraken's rage. Though surely they would try to summon the Kraken itself at some point, now was not the time. It was decided that to better the cause a sturdier launch pad would be built, since it was becoming apparent that seven tons was near the weight limit of the construction pad of the Krabcake. It was decided that their new launch facility would be build upon the sacred ground of Freebart's grave site, location of the first to be sacrificed to the Kraken. The flag was taken down, as the launchpad would serve as a much better tombstone.

The Krabcake crawled back slowly as the new launchpad was deployed, the Kult began the work of disassembling much of the unneeded weight and bulk of the Krabcake, reducing it down and renaming it the SLUG, or “Significantly Lighter Utility Generatorâ€Â. Though the vehicle was much faster than it was with the added weight of its original form, the name stuck. Once the process was complete, it was as if the weight of the recycled Krabcake shell was lifted from the Kult's shoulders as well, as time seemed to move more quickly, and their steps landed much more precisely than ever before.

Though the SLUG lacked the roominess of its former shell, the Kult still felt as if they now had the room they needed to build a worthy construction site, free from the Kraken's physics-warping tentacles, at least for now.

• 2 weeks later...
This is really cool! Also, Can we have a list of mods?

Thank you! Your wish is my command! :) Modlist added to the first page.

And without further jibjab, I present the next installment!

Project 5: Kwiznos

Eager to test their new launchpad (and increase their living space), the Kult members of Duna started about working on construction of an additional krakenhome on the new sacred launchpad. Unfortunately, it was soon found that the area immediately above the launchpad appeared to be rather explosive, and every time a root part was placed on the pad it either exploded violently or dissolved in to a fine mist.

It was decided to take several of the remaining parts from the original krabcake's construction systems and make a new launchpad with more versatile construction systems to lift constructed components out of the “explosive air†around their feet. Maybe this land has been cursed after all, many of the kult think to themselves.

With the help of the new launchpad and the seadragon, a second krakenhome is constructed, and looses but a single solar panel in the moving process. Now that the Kult had a little more room between the two krakenhomes and the SLUG, their gaze was once more affixed to the mountain in the distance.

Ludney came up with a brilliant idea. They could build a blimp that would lift rocketparts and the secondary launchpad over to the mountaintop, for ease of construction! Everyone agreed that this sounded like a swell idea, and with everyone eating sanwiches, a sub themed construction seemed fitting.

After their lunch, many a blueprint lay scribbled on sauce-stained napkins. Ludney went outside to start construction when he witnessed the large, cursed launchpad vault in to the air at incredible speed. The remaining kult members soon joined him outside, and for several minutes everyone was quiet as the massive launchpad disappeared in to the sky. Several more minutes later, the faint sounds of a massive explosion were heard, and everyone returned to going about their day.

Construction of their new work, Blimpy, went rather smoothly. It was loaded to the brim with rocketparts and helium, then Hubert attached it's winch cables to the secondary launchpad. Four of the kult members loaded onboard, and Blimpy's engines were set to full cargo throttle...and they didnt move.

Readouts showed that the weight was still several tons too heavy, so the crew began offloading parts. Unfortunately, this caused the weight distribution to be slightly off, and no one thought to shut down the engines, and Blimpy “bumped†one of the krakenhomes, crashing it to the ground. Blimpy then began to gain height, so rocketparts were thrown overboard to continue to decrease weight instead of landing and offloading like a sane team of experts.

Once airborne and several kilmeters away, the team began to worry that the rolling hills ahead might be too high for their ship to overcome. Attempting to reel in the winches to lift the launchpad had the opposite effect, dragging Blimpy down to impact the hill head-on. Mild damage was suffered, but the team had to push on. They were determined to reach the mountain in the distance. Forgetting that they didnt have the lift to overcome the hill they were on, they met the bottom of the mountain with similar results, lucky enough to release the locks holding the construction pad in place before crushing it under the bulk of Blimpy.

Stranded twenty kilometers from their landing site, and Blimpy now in questionable flying status, it was debated whether they attempt to proceed with their mission, return home, or call for rescue.

I'm more of a builder than a flyer/launcher, and the ideas kinda start driving themselves....maybe IM the one that's possessed!

And no, I have a feeling that the incredible number of mods installed might have something to do with it, but I've had quite a few more problems on this install of KSP than any other, at least with this combination of this save + random bad landing site on Duna. However, without all of the random issues, I wouldnt have nearly as many ideas!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.