From Particle collisions to rocket collisions

Ok so

cern (and other particle acceleration projects) got bored of smashing particles into each other at light speed

kerbals (being smarter) thought why not smash something bigger into each other so you can see something

so your mission is to launch two rockets into similar orbits but in opposite directions and make them smash into each other in space

i would upload some proof of concept images but they fly by way to fast (something with 4000m/s on my try with a distance of 2km from each other)

so to proof you have done it you need to create a video

lower orbits (or higher speeds) means more points

get smashing some rockets (into rockets)!!!

edit: got some images in my new try but not as close ( 8km)

I did it, but the challenge really is nearly impossible. I quicksaved right before the collision, but when I reloaded to record it from another angle it seemed to pass right through. I\'m guessing at a 4km/s closing speed the ships are jumping a hundred meters each time step, if their collision meshes don\'t overlap they don\'t hit, so they usually pass right through each other. So do it with bigger ships than I did.

http://youtu.be/GgDoWlYCbPs

edit: got another angle!

I did it, but the challenge really is nearly impossible. I quicksaved right before the collision, but when I reloaded to record it from another angle it seemed to pass right through. I\'m guessing at a 4km/s closing speed the ships are jumping a hundred meters each time step, if their collision meshes don\'t overlap they don\'t hit, so they usually pass right through each other. So do it with bigger ships than I did.

edit: got another angle!

yep you did it.... (speechless)

guess youre the winner

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.