When does the escape system decouple?

I'm sure this is a noob question but how do I decouple the escape system that I attach to my capsule? Will it come off at a certain altitude? I've just been adding a decoupler but I know that can't be correct. Sorry if this has been asked in the past but doing a search did me no good.

It does not decouple automatically. Basically, it's an unusually shaped SRB that you typically put on top of your capsule. It is probably easiest to make an action group to decouple it and let it fall back to Kerbin when you're out of the atmosphere but haven't started your orbit insertion burn yet, although you might as well do that manually.

Adding a decoupler is indeed the correct approach. Make sure the arrow points to the capsule so you don't get left lugging the decoupler around.

Note that if you're tipping your capsule with a docking port you don't need a separate decoupler. You can just right-click the docking point and choose to decouple whatever is attached to it. Or use an action group to simultaneously decouple node and fire the LES so it blasts itself clear.

If you want to combine the LES with a nose-mounted parachute, have a look in the craft construction techniques thread in the Spacecraft Exchange Forum, there are some techniques there you can probably adapt.

I usually tie the decoupling to an action group. Especially since I often have my escape tower attached on top of a docking port instead of rigged to a proper decoupler. So what I do is set up AG0 or AG9 to activate the escape tower and undock it from the port at the same time once I'm far enough along in my orbital insertion that I figure I don't need it any more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.