1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

Those would work! I was thinking wheels, not tracks, but yeah, that'd work for a lot of my ideas.

As for those tracks, glad to see a good set of steerable tracks! Would like to see them be maybe one wheel longer, but yeah, those look wicked and fun.

Think of them as a POC (though I'll try and finish to get them in for 1.8), as I had to do some topology trickery and write a new module to drive the alternate steering method. Wheels with the same mounting arrangement are no problem, it's just that I've had an idea in my head for a little set of tracks like that, and thought they'd look pretty cool and a bit different. Glad I did, they are quite fun drive :) In the latest dev commit, btw.

Been cramming the texturing tutorials in, so I might even have a go at doing the latest parts myself. It'll keep me from making more!

Think of them as a POC (though I'll try and finish to get them in for 1.8), as I had to do some topology trickery and write a new module to drive the alternate steering method. Wheels with the same mounting arrangement are no problem, it's just that I've had an idea in my head for a little set of tracks like that, and thought they'd look pretty cool and a bit different. Glad I did, they are quite fun drive :) In the latest dev commit, btw.

Been cramming the texturing tutorials in, so I might even have a go at doing the latest parts myself. It'll keep me from making more!

Any idea when we get to play with 1.8?

Plugin stuff is all sitting pretty as far as I'm aware, minus removal of a few debugging lines. Textures for a few of the new parts are in progress, so once they're done I might bundle it all up as-is and do a parts only update later when the very latest models are finished and textured. So I guess genuinely soonTM

You mean like this? http://youtu.be/MtV0BGpLG0c

I'm not sure the omni wheels are updated any more, I'll have to have a look.

Funky... just... funky.

So, lo-fi... buddy....

I've been digging at your code a bit and I've done a little fiddling, recompiling, testing, and so forth. A while back I was asking for more of the context options to be available in action groups. I think I have managed to do this myself.

Note: My line numbers will be slightly off due to SharpDevelop removing some redundant 'use' items and of course due to any edits you may have made in the meantime.

In KFModuleWheels.cs line ~435:

[COLOR=#008000]
//Addons by Gaalidas[/COLOR]
[[COLOR=#004085]KSPAction[/COLOR]([COLOR=#0000ff]"Lower Suspension"[/COLOR])]
[COLOR=#0000ff][B]public[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000]void[/COLOR] [COLOR=#191970][B]LowerRideHeight[/B][/COLOR]([COLOR=#004085]KSPActionParam[/COLOR] param)
{
[COLOR=#0000ff][B]if[/B][/COLOR] ([I]rideHeight[/I] > [COLOR=#00008b]0[/COLOR])
{
[I]rideHeight[/I] -= [COLOR=#00008b]5[/COLOR];
}
[COLOR=#191970][B]ApplySettings[/B][/COLOR]();
}[COLOR=#008000]//end decrease[/COLOR]
[[COLOR=#004085]KSPAction[/COLOR]([COLOR=#0000ff]"Raise Suspension"[/COLOR])]
[COLOR=#0000ff][B]public[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000]void[/COLOR] [COLOR=#191970][B]RaiseRideHeight[/B][/COLOR]([COLOR=#004085]KSPActionParam[/COLOR] param)
{
[COLOR=#0000ff][B]if[/B][/COLOR] ([I]rideHeight[/I] < [COLOR=#00008b]100[/COLOR])
{
[I]rideHeight[/I] += [COLOR=#00008b]5[/COLOR];
}
}[COLOR=#008000]//end increase[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#008000]//End Addons by Gaalidas[/COLOR]

I have yet to rigorously test it, but it compiles fine anyway. Update: I have now tested it. Good to go.

In the same file, line ~528:

[COLOR=#008000]//Addons by Gaalidas[/COLOR]
[[COLOR=#004085]KSPAction[/COLOR]([COLOR=#0000ff]"Apply Wheel"[/COLOR])]
[COLOR=#0000ff][B]public[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000]void[/COLOR] [COLOR=#191970][B]ApplyWheelAction[/B][/COLOR]([COLOR=#004085]KSPActionParam[/COLOR] param)
{
}
[[COLOR=#004085]KSPAction[/COLOR]([COLOR=#0000ff]"Apply Steering"[/COLOR])]
[COLOR=#0000ff][B]public[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000]void[/COLOR] [COLOR=#191970][B]ApplySteeringAction[/B][/COLOR]([COLOR=#004085]KSPActionParam[/COLOR] param)
{
[COLOR=#191970][B]ApplySteeringSettings[/B][/COLOR]();
}

This copies the functions of the context actions for these options, but this time in the action group options as well.

Then...

In AlphaRepulsor.cs line ~207:

I added this little thing into the "Retract(KSPActionParam param)" function. This simply adds a shortcut in the process of setting up the action groups for repulsors in the same group. This way, you only add one of the repulsors to the action group and when hitting that key, it will apply that action immediately to all of the repulsors in that group. I just added that one a few minutes ago, so I'm also unsure it would be wise. Some people might continue to add all the repulsors to the group (which is extremely easy if you're using the AGX mod) and then each press of the button will change the height by 5*<the number of repulsors in the action group> which is annoying. I added the same to the function below that so that both extend and retract work the same way. while writing this I got a better idea for this little thing though, so I'll keep fiddling. Update: I did another test and did not run into any issues like the one I just described,

Same file, line ~230:

[[COLOR=#004085]KSPAction[/COLOR]([COLOR=#0000ff]"Apply Settings"[/COLOR])]
[COLOR=#0000ff][B]public[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000]void[/COLOR] [COLOR=#191970][B]ApplySettingsAction[/B][/COLOR]([COLOR=#004085]KSPActionParam[/COLOR] param)
{
}[COLOR=#008000]//end apply action[/COLOR]

And this puts the "apply settings" function into an action group. Just in case it's needed in a separate form.

That's all for now. Besides those, as I mentioned above, SharpDevelop showed a number of the "use" lines that were redundant, but as far as I can tell it doesn't hurt anything or even change anything at all. The code is just too short for it to matter.

So, yeah, this is what I've been up to between your various updates and whatnot. I really need to give these more testing to see if they actually work, but considering my experience with C# is worse than yours, I'm happy the DLL compiled at all after I wrote this stuff in.

Edited by Gaalidas

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I made it! Sorry for the dark images, but I got the Far Wanderer onto Eve! Then promptly slid down a hill for nearly 3000 meters, but nothing exploded! No, I have no plans to return them home. First colonists to the evil purple planet.

And yes, I used a parachute sled to carry it down.

Hey! Loving the mod, it's amazing :)

I have to admit I haven't even touched the wheels, but the repulsors... so much fun :P

Here's my take on a pod racer :D with many thanks to m1sz (Gracias :D) for his Youtube video and/or whoever did it first :P:D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It was a pain in the rear to balance it out and make it fly as it flies now, like an absolute charm, but it was fun as hell to work on :)

Edited by MonaBabii

I would have been cursing at the monitor the whole way down that hill.

Nuke powered? -bleep- yeah! The eventual epic crash will be that much more spectacular, and create its own inhabitable zone around it to commemorate the event.

Edited by Gaalidas

I would have been cursing at the monitor the whole way down that hill.

Nuke powered? -bleep- yeah! The eventual epic crash will be that much more spectacular, and create its own inhabitable zone around it to commemorate the event.

No crashes here :D and it even has a tiny winch with a grappling-hook under the pod to anchor itself when at a full stop. It flies like a dream :D... Now that's not to say that in order to reach that Mark (14) I didn't already irradiate the entire continent of Kafrica but <_<... they'll be fine.

I've been to Eve many times before (and to avoid having to spend hours worth of mission time, I will admit to using HyperEdit to send my ship there, but to be fair, it was capable of getting there, and all I did was dump the stages into Eve's atmosphere.) and so I kinda expected the hill. Grin and bear it, use your brakes and keep the ground in your lights. And if you're curious about the yellow off-road lights, I'm partly colorblind, so vivid color contrast helps me pick out bad terrain before I run over it.

And as for why I picked Eve to dump a ship on... I somewhat love the painful purple planet. Sure, I could've landed on Laythe, or Duna, or built a non-atmospheric lander for the poor thing and dumped it on the Mun, but Eve is a beautiful gravity well that I like landing things in. I just don't like taking off from there.

Maybe I'll land something on the Mun and go crater-diving.

As for hills like that, I've had lots of practice sliding vehicles down them. These wheels and tracks are perfect for it, compared to stock's "Go 3 degrees off of prograde and you flip."

I hear ya there. That's why I still get shivers down the spine when I launch a craft using these wheels/tracks and I go over a little bump. All those wheels with their individual suspensions, and the smooth transition of the rover body as if it was floating on a gentle steam... so beautiful.

Funky... just... funky.

So, lo-fi... buddy....

I've been digging at your code a bit and I've done a little fiddling, recompiling, testing, and so forth. A while back I was asking for more of the context options to be available in action groups. I think I have managed to do this myself.

Cheers dude, I'll bung it in when I get a chance :) Sorry I've been a little quiet lately, work is absolutely nuts at the moment (I'm currently in hour 30 something of my working Wednesday and still going).

http://imgur.com/a/xHWMa

I made it! Sorry for the dark images, but I got the Far Wanderer onto Eve! Then promptly slid down a hill for nearly 3000 meters, but nothing exploded! No, I have no plans to return them home. First colonists to the evil purple planet.

And yes, I used a parachute sled to carry it down.

That's really cool, I like the landing sled! Reminds me I need to play again at some point....

Hey! Loving the mod, it's amazing :)

I have to admit I haven't even touched the wheels, but the repulsors... so much fun :P

Here's my take on a pod racer :D with many thanks to m1sz (Gracias :D) for his Youtube video and/or whoever did it first :P:D

http://imgur.com/a/7Ni92

It was a pain in the rear to balance it out and make it fly as it flies now, like an absolute charm, but it was fun as hell to work on :)

Cheers, and thanks for all the screen grabs :) Really, really need to get the pod race challenge going now there are quiet a few people with workable pod racers! Cool designs, keep 'em coming!

Hey, you're allowed to have your moments of quiet inactivity. Within reason that is... go away for too long and we will find you. We're geeks, we can find anyone and make them get back to work. [insert maniacal laughing sound clip here]

Don't believe me? Ask yourself "why haven't we seen any new releases from Alexustas? (the ASET guy)

That's right, we've got him... and it isn't pretty...

So this mod is great. Building pod racers is tons more fun when they hover!

http://imgur.com/a/if0PL

But, I hit an interesting snag while trying to convert my pod to the silliest SSTO ever. After hitting about 400m/s my ship explodes spontaneously while traveling over open water. Regardless of altitude, just being over the water is what does it. The crash log reports most of it impacting ModuleWaterSlider.Collider. Similar results after replacing the wheels on an otherwise stock plane. It went BOOM over the water.

http://i.imgur.com/xD0wXPx.jpg

Google showed it mentioned somewhere in this thread, but after skimming, I have no idea how many pages, I can't find the particular post that mentions it or if that post even mentions something that might help this problem. It makes me sad I can't fly to space with repulsors, even with them retracted fully. Is there a way to have a fully "off" mode that might avert this? Has anyone else ever encountered this?

Edited by Apepi

So this mod is great. Building Pod Racers is tons more fun when they hover!

http://imgur.com/a/if0PL

But, I hit an interesting snag while trying to convert my pod to the silliest SSTO ever. After hitting about 400m/s my ship explodes spontaneously while traveling over open water. Regardless of altitude, just being over the water is what does it.

http://i.imgur.com/xD0wXPx.jpg

Anyone else ever have this problem? It happens even with the repulsors fully retracted. Similar results after replacing the wheels on a plane. It went BOOM over the water.

Uh oh, It looks like you've discovered a new Kraken! It's… THE WATER KRAKEN!!! :D

Although... uh... I guess that would make it just a regular plain old 'Kraken' Kraken, wouldn't it?

Hmm, never mind...

Lol, :D

Hey +lo-fi? Do you know how could I go about adding KerbPaint compatibility to the repulsor parts so I can paint them with the rest of the pod? I'm fairly decent playing with 2D art/textures and what not, but little to no clue about modding KSP, and even if I need to save the file in a specific format or with specific layers or something. If I could manage this I would definitely post the required files so you can use them if you like.

Some of my pod racer's parts are ruining the racer's color scheme and stick out like a sore thumb xD:

fBfxmM0.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

The other possibility is I could just probably edit the texture files of the individual parts to paint them the color I want them, but it'd be nice to be able to choose your own color through KerbPaint.

Uh oh, It looks like you've discovered a new Kraken! It's… THE WATER KRAKEN!!! :D

Although... uh... I guess that would make it just a regular plain old 'Kraken' Kraken, wouldn't it?

Hmm, never mind...

Lol, :D

Hahaha! Would that make it Kavey Jones' locker?

Monabii, I'm afraid I have no experience with Kerbpaint, though I think I remember Gaalidas(?) was using it and may chime in with something useful. The existing

repulsor textures are .tga though, so you can just open and edit without any need for conversion. Just re-save over the original and you'll be good to go :)

Ohhhh, I take it he isn't cooperating? Poor guy, I heard rumour it was because he was thinking of defecting to Space Engineers.

What blasphemy is this?

(nah, I mess around with that one every once in a while. KSP lacks some of the immersion factor that many of us are looking for.)

EDIT: Okay, I just heard that KerbPaint has been mentioned in here. That's one that I've been looking into for a while. One snag I found with it is that the APU model has a fair number of surfaces that do not seem to be textured.

Fortunately, the application of KerbPaint is pretty simple when following the directions on the KerbPaint OP. You just need to create a color mask for the part you want to color, put it in the folder with the rest of the KerbPaint masks, remove the file extension from the file (so that KSP doesn't try to load it, allowing the plugin to import the data itself) and either add the module information to the part directly or make a MM patch for it.

I sorta stopped trying to get it all configured when I realized that the part textures could change at any moment. That and, after getting B9 (the new release) completely re-done for KerbPaint, I was pretty burnt out. Guess it's about time I looked into it again. It's crazy too, KerbPaint is the least updated mod in the last year (actually, it hasn't been updated at all relatively recently) and still works as intended. It doesn't even pop up version incompatibility. The only parts I could not make work without issues have been the ones in the IR rework. I got strange texture flashing issues on the part surfaces when using KerbPaint on them, regardless of whether they had been colored.

Edited by Gaalidas

What blasphemy is this?

(nah, I mess around with that one every once in a while. KSP lacks some of the immersion factor that many of us are looking for.)

EDIT: Okay, I just heard that KerbPaint has been mentioned in here. That's one that I've been looking into for a while. One snag I found with it is that the APU model has a fair number of surfaces that do not seem to be textured.

Fortunately, the application of KerbPaint is pretty simple when following the directions on the KerbPaint OP. You just need to create a color mask for the part you want to color, put it in the folder with the rest of the KerbPaint masks, remove the file extension from the file (so that KSP doesn't try to load it, allowing the plugin to import the data itself) and either add the module information to the part directly or make a MM patch for it.

I sorta stopped trying to get it all configured when I realized that the part textures could change at any moment. That and, after getting B9 (the new release) completely re-done for KerbPaint, I was pretty burnt out. Guess it's about time I looked into it again. It's crazy too, KerbPaint is the least updated mod in the last year (actually, it hasn't been updated at all relatively recently) and still works as intended. It doesn't even pop up version incompatibility. The only parts I could not make work without issues have been the ones in the IR rework. I got strange texture flashing issues on the part surfaces when using KerbPaint on them, regardless of whether they had been colored.

Join the dark side. It is your destiny... Ahem.

I have another model for the APU, I just keep forgetting to update it...

Any progress on TweakScale stuff? If you post a list of the variables used by your wheels, maybe I can figure out how to write up a TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS that more or less works...

I'll need to add something into the plugin to be used as a TS exponent - will try and get to that soon. Setting up TS configs would be much appreciated :)