Easter Egg Discovery

Probably a suggestion since I assume the answer to the question is no/unknown:

Does anyone know if there are plans to add some sort of orbital scan to locate approximate easter egg locations?

I would like to find them, but also avoid using a guide or spending literal years driving around each planet. (And it would give satellites a use, hooray!)

Additionally, it could help with progression, maybe make them high-science resources, or require discovering certain easter eggs for certain parts (ex: Liquid lead geyser on Eve gives Kerbin scientists the idea of heating metal prior to shaping, allowing smaller metal parts).

If there's some way to get a hint on their location that I'm missing, please mention it.

No, i don't think it would be fun, they're easter eggs anyway.

But, adding geysers, crashed asteroids and such that can be finded with sats and have scientific value can be a great idea to give rovers an use

Well how many have you found?

In easily 100 hours of KSP (probably more, I haven't been timing it), I have found 0, only the freebie near the space center (and then only when I saw it pointed out in a video).

Even the KSP wiki says there are ones which remain undiscovered. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of hours of play have not uncovered all the easter eggs. It's not realistically possible to find them organically.

They are far less satisfying if the only way to find them is a 1:100000 accident, or a guide.

Ok... I found the one in KSC, i found the broken parts at the island airstrip (Not sure if that counts) and i (accidentally) found a mun arch some days ago.

But i wasn't talking about that, i was saying that, they're easter eggs, they're supposed to be hidden and only be found purely by luck (And after they're found, purely with information :P), not by sending a sat and doing the job for you.

Edit: Oh! and let's not forget about the rock behind the mountains behind KSC!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by SlimeCrusher

Ok... I found the one in KSC, i found the broken parts at the island airstrip (Not sure if that counts) and i (accidentally) found a mun arch some days ago.

But i wasn't talking about that, i was saying that, they're easter eggs, they're supposed to be hidden and only be found purely by luck (And after they're found, purely with information :P), not by sending a sat and doing the job for you.

Oh yeah, I've seen that too, but I just considered that part of the strip (technically, I guess one could consider the whole thing an easter egg, but it's so easy to find, I wouldn't count it).

Building an interplanetary satellite cluster, getting the right orbits for each planet, sending a lander vehicle, and exploring a rough area (~200km²) isn't exactly "doing the job for you."

And the job it's doing is literal years of picking through every pebble on Duna.

I get that they're supposed to be easter eggs, but how are easter eggs in other games? I know its vastly more exciting to find one myself without knowing what it is before hand than to see a picture of it before I find it. Since they're impossible to find myself, I've had all the good ones ruined by inconsiderate Youtubers, so even if I ever do find one, it will just be "oh, that boring old thing," not "WOW, what an easter egg!"

For any of you who are open to mods, SCANSat does exactly what you're asking for, and more. The multispectral analysis part maps biomes and marks "Anomalies," a.k.a. Easter Eggs. That part doesn't tell you what they are, though. For that, you need a Been There Done That piece, which tells you how close you are to the nearest anomaly. Perfect for locating anomalies by rover or plane.

This means you are don't care about looking for easter eggs and this whole thread is pointless.

One easter egg is viaible from your launch pad. And you still couldn't be bothered to even spot it with your own eyes.

Even the KSP wiki says there are ones which remain undiscovered

And I say you have pink pants.

No, i don't think it would be fun, they're easter eggs anyway.

But, adding geysers, crashed asteroids and such that can be finded with sats and have scientific value can be a great idea to give rovers an use

Yes, please. That idea is actually a very good one. :)

Easter eggs are there to be hard to discover. There are some games which had Easter eggs that weren't discovered over 10 or more years. If there was an official feature that adds a way to find them easily then they aren't Easter eggs anymore, the are features.

In easily 100 hours of KSP (probably more, I haven't been timing it), I have found 0, only the freebie near the space center (and then only when I saw it pointed out in a video).

Even the KSP wiki says there are ones which remain undiscovered. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of hours of play have not uncovered all the easter eggs. It's not realistically possible to find them organically.

They are far less satisfying if the only way to find them is a 1:100000 accident, or a guide.

For me it was quite different, my first mun landing was near one of the mun arcs. Either it was luck or it is placed intentionally there for new players i don't know....

This means you are don't care about looking for easter eggs and this whole thread is pointless.

One easter egg is viaible from your launch pad. And you still couldn't be bothered to even spot it with your own eyes.

That one is the only one I've found, and it's not visible from the launch pad. If the Mun arcs count, I've found those too, but they are so common, I just considered them environmental features.

I want to find them, I just don't want to waste thousands of hours monotonously combing over every planet in the game.

You're all so aggressively against this. If you never want to find any and just have them all spoiled, don't use it.

You can't compare KSP to other games, even Gilly has greater surface area than the average sandbox game. Currently, easter eggs are useless from a discovery perspective since only 1 in 100000 people will actually organically discover the better, less common, ones.

Everyone else has to use a guide.

And if a built-in, multi-hour system to give an approximate location to spend another hour or more exploring counts as "ruining" easter eggs, a guide does that 50 times worse, so the entire KSP wiki needs to be shut down or it "ruins" the game.

Currently the easter eggs are the only point to exploring a planet after you get there.

For any of you who are open to mods, SCANSat does exactly what you're asking for, and more. The multispectral analysis part maps biomes and marks "Anomalies," a.k.a. Easter Eggs. That part doesn't tell you what they are, though. For that, you need a Been There Done That piece, which tells you how close you are to the nearest anomaly. Perfect for locating anomalies by rover or plane.

Thank you, I prefer vanilla, but I'll check that out.

Edited by Liudeius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.