Hardcore/Ironman Playthrough-- Mod suggestions?

So I wanna do a challenging, hardcore, playthrough in career mode. Was looking for suggestions on what mods to include in the installations.

Obviously, no reloads, or reverts would be used. (quick saving only to be used in the event of a game crash)

What I have so far:

-TAC life support -For life support (obviously)

-RemoteTech2

-Deadly Reentry.

-Better than starting manned (Anyone know if there is anyway to make this work with KSP Interstellar? Id like to have Both, but id go with BTSM for the challenge if i cant make it work)

- MKS (For end game colonization, if i make it that far lol)

- Ferram Aerospace.

These are on the Maybe List:

Dang it! (part failure mode) -Havent tried this, so not sure yet how well it works.

kOS - Id like to include this one, but unsure how high the learning curve on it is. (Not an experienced coder myself.)

Any recommendations? Or any mods i missed?

EDIT: Just realized i shoulda put this in the Add-on affairs forums... sorry :( (mods can feel free to move it if them want)

Edited by rabidninjawombat

I have never used FAR, but I would maybe possibly suggest it?

Probably some visual enhancements like better atmospheres and distant object enhancement.

Kerbal Engineer and enhanced navball probably violate the "hardcore" thing.

I can't think of any difficulty increasing mods other than real solar system but... you know.

Cant believe i forgot to mention FAR lol.. that is a must. Will include that,

Engineer to would be a good addition, as its adds to the realism. Any self respecting astronaut is gonna have those figures available.

Ive gone back and forth on RSS, but id probably pass, as it may just go a bit too far for my taste lol.

My only recommendation would be not to start until 0.24 is released, since career mode is getting a complete overhaul.

A complete overhaul implies we have no idea which or how mods will be affected.

Yes, if you don't want to wait there's no real point in doing it in career-mode at the moment, unless it's just to point at the completed tech-tree and call it 'win'. Even if 0.24's still a few weeks away you can go for it or practice and plan in sandbox now.

I would say BTSM by itself is probably enough. It doesn't work too well with other mods (besides Deadly Reentry). It has its own life support system so you don't need TAC, and it also has some of the features of RemoteTech. FAR might work, I'm not sure.

BTSM is a very enjoyable mod with lots of challenges. Really, it's the way career mode should be in the stock game.

That's what I thought. Way too far for me.

I have two installs for that very reason, one that is full Realism Overhaul. And another that is stock sized Kerbin.

I have a few suggestions for the OP.

Don't do KSP Insterstellar, nothing against KI but it is a bit overpowered when you consider most of the tech in it is theoretical at best.

But KIDS, FAR, DREC, RT2, KSPX, RF, AJE, B9 (Just for the additional engines for AJE) same for Firespitter, procedural tanks, procedural fairings, procedural wings. Those mods and parts will give you a far better deeper KSP experience. Especially when mated with the custom tech tree, that gives a real progression.

I would say BTSM by itself is probably enough. It doesn't work too well with other mods (besides Deadly Reentry). It has its own life support system so you don't need TAC, and it also has some of the features of RemoteTech. FAR might work, I'm not sure.

Engine Ignitor.

Realism Overhaul is also nice in that it takes away the magic reaction wheels and unlimited throttle you have in the stock game, but I'm not sure if you can get those changes without installing RSS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.