"Landing" on Jool, are things suppose to go black?

I dropped a probe into Jool. As it neared zero altitude (I assume Jool doesn't really have a surface?) a black hole opened up under my probe.

ZFJpzEe.png

Then everything went black before the ship exploded. Now I assume it isn't possible to land on Jool. But this going black was similar to something that happened to a mission parachuting down on Kerbin (black come up from the bottom of the screen and filled the screen and the ship exploded) that I assume to be some sort of bug. So I thought I would ask if on Jool it is suppose to be that way (2001 reference or something).

Edited by davidpsummers

Never been to Jool so not sure, but same happened to me returning to Kerbin, I was about to land in the ocean then all the sudden the horizon line and everything below it turned black, I kept descending for like 20 seconds and then my ship blew up! :confused: I had to F9

Jool has no solid surface to land on. And, as you have found out, your ship will be destroyed when it goes 250 meters below the surface.

vozQ6EP.jpg

dyG6FOd.jpg

Xr1Vmz8.jpg

This is not related to the texture bug when landing on Kerbal does the same thing. Your ship will not blow up if you land in the ocean. It will blow up if it lands on where the land is suppose to be. Switching between map mode and camera view may fix the issue when it does appear.

sGThAvl.jpg

Dk0yw9B.jpg

In this picture, the capsule has successfully landed in where the ocean should be.

hZVcXdh.jpg

Thanks for the info. One clarification...

"Your ship will not blow up if you land in the ocean. It will blow up if it lands on where the land is suppose to be. Switching between map mode and camera view may fix the issue when it does appear."

Here are you referring to Kerbin or Jool? It sounds like you are talking about how to deal with the texture bug?

Thanks for the info. One clarification...

"Your ship will not blow up if you land in the ocean. It will blow up if it lands on where the land is suppose to be. Switching between map mode and camera view may fix the issue when it does appear."

Here are you referring to Kerbin or Jool? It sounds like you are talking about how to deal with the texture bug?

I believe he's talking about fixing the bug on Kerbin, but it should work for both planets (Despite the fact that Jool doesn't have an atmosphere)

I dropped a probe into Jool. As it neared zero altitude (I assume Jool doesn't really have a surface?) a black hole opened up under my probe.

http://i.imgur.com/ZFJpzEe.png

Then everything went black before the ship exploded. Now I assume it isn't possible to land on Jool. But this going black was similar to something that happened to a mission parachuting down on Kerbin (black come up from the bottom of the screen and filled the screen and the ship exploded) that I assume to be some sort of bug. So I thought I would ask if on Jool it is suppose to be that way (2001 reference or something).

Behold! The lair of the KRAKEN! But yeah, Jool has no really surface to land on (see wiki)

It's hypothesized that gas giants have small, solid rocky cores, but they're covered by very deep layers of liquid, so there's no "land" to land on anyway IRL.

(Despite the fact that Jool doesn't have an atmosphere)

Jigga wha'? Jool most certainly has an atmosphere (that's kinda all it has). did you mean Jool has no surface?

What happened to your probe is fairly normal, when I did this with a probe it reached roughly -100 metres then it started to wobble and then BOOM. When I did this with a maned spacecraft, the results were more interesting. The craft was fairly large, so the pod at the bottom got destroyed, sending me back to the space centre. When I looked in the tracking station it showed debris on Jool, showing where the craft had been. I switched to the debris, but as soon as I did this the debris exploded. Things get pretty glitchy down there. :confused:

• 6 years later...