Post Your Cinematics Here! (Cinematic Enthusiasts)

Halban

13 minutes ago, V8jester said:

HatBat, I forgot to ask you. How did you handle the Kerbal voices in your cinematics? It sounds like they are run backwards, maybe with a few other tweaks? What software did you use?

Kerbal voices! (It's actually RL radio chatter played in reverse and messed around)

1 minute ago, Pronoes said:

Kerbal voices! (It's actually RL radio chatter played in reverse and messed around)

Oh that's it? Guess I was overthinking it.

Also in response to Hatbat's previous response. I tried some new camera angles (kinda) I Took your advice with how the H-4 looked from that specific angle. I tried to reproduce it and was happy with the angles filmed of the BE-200. I also tried not to let the video stagnate so long on any one specific scene. I think My timeing could be improved and, I still feel like I'm missing something. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to be brutal. I want to try and improve what I'm tossing out there.

Hello,

Kerbal science team decided to finally find out whether red sand castles are really possible on Duna. They set out bravely, equipped with state-of-the-art Kerbal SSTO technology, so what could possible go wrong...

This is actually the first story-driven cinematic I made so please enjoy and comment to your heart's content.

Edited by Thrimm

Nice video again V8Jester, but it's certainly about time you mixed it up a bit. You should design a craft with a particular function, say some sort of airdrop craft for example, then plan out a cinematic for it and see where you go from there. I think that by doing so you will naturally improve your camera work and start to figure how to use it to tell a story. Do you watch many films? Your shots are great but as you know a little repetitive which makes the video stagnate rather quickly regardless of length. Getting some cinematography inspiration should really help you out. It's easier to mess up but please try to use Kerbcam for some shots, you'll really be allowing yourself a lot more creativity. 

That's a nice video Thrimm but it's not really what this thread is for. I can't help you with videos that aren't fully cinematic. 

Edited by HatBat

Thanks HatBat. I've really been wanting to do a military deployment of some kind. Maybe multiple aircraft types flying a mission. Switching between recon attack and troop movements. My issue is most of my planes are built to look scale. But they look huge next to a kerbals. I think If I could film the Kerbals seperate from most of the planes I could pull it off. I just need to find an idea that sticks and really spend some time on it. Honestly not to sound like a putz or anything. Most of my videos where made in less than an hour. So if I really spent some significant time on something I know I could pull off something great. Just need to figure out what that "something great" should be.

Well to expand on Thrimm's video. I kinda think he is on a better track when it comes to telling a story telling than I am. At least he took the plunge in building a story with dialogue. Now something I can point out right away is that it doesn't look like you pushed "F2" to hide the HUD as often as you needed to. Just this one improvement would really add to the experience of the video. Another suggestion I can make is use "Stock Bug Fix Modules" there is a setting to disable the green highlights on parts when you mouse over them. The last thing I want to point out is always hide the mouse along the right side of the screen. I made the mistake of leaving it in one of my videos. Just these couple of things will vastly improve your videos. The rest I would just chalk up to experience. We will all improve with time. Just go for it and really dig for the opinions of others..... Even when you don't necicarily agree with those opinions they will still help shape your videos into something great.

Edited by V8jester

Thanks for your comments HatBat and V8jester.

I'm trying my best to be as cinematic as possible but clearly I lack experience and tools, so every bit of advice/comment would help and will be appreciated.

Now I wish my videos were the quality that you guys present, but I took my chances nevertheless and improving on what you said, made a story about Bill sending a submarine to Eve and exploring the ocean floor. I hope it will fit into the thread more - please enjoy!

This is actually a great start Thrimm, my biggest piece of advice would be to greatly slow done the pace with your next film. As well as never using a fade transition unless it's a new scene. It was quite hard to tell whether or not you did towards the end or not, but enable the developer mode in Kerbcam and switch to the component rotation type. It will smooth the camera work between keys. You might also want to zoom in a little (alt + scroll wheel) and use black bars over your footage to get a more cinematic look. 

Great use of Kerbcam, though a must-do when using the mod is to enable the developer mode in the settings and use it to switch to 'compound mode'. This will smooth out the transitions between keys. 

I loved Force Awakens, though in terms of the technical I don't think the camera work or special effects were actually very good. The effects weren't what you'd expect for such a big film as Star Wars, and they blended quite badly with the practical stuff (of which a lot was, so it looked rather strange). 

JJ Abram's style meant that half the film was just close ups, even in the wide shots (of which the film lacked) there was a sickening zoom. It was also very fast paced, both the story and editing. Shots that would've had a much needed atmospheric effect were, instead of perhaps 15 seconds, simply 5 seconds. It gives the impression that the film was originally written to either be far longer or mistakenly written with too much content for it's run time. I think the latter. Anyway, it still got a ton of stuff right, so it's an amazing film; just not a classic. 

Edited by HatBat

1 hour ago, HatBat said:

Great use of Kerbcam, though a must-do when using the mod is to enable the developer mode in the settings and use it to switch to 'compound mode'. This will smooth out the transitions between keys. 

Oh! I was wondering about that. I really didn't like the choppy turning at each transition. I'll check that out when I get back home tonight. I also felt like everything was too drawn out. But I was afraid of doing too much maneuvering as the shuttle can turn on a dime (kinda unrealistic) but necessary for vertical flight. I really need to get one of my Xbox controllers hooked up to my computer :P I really want to see The Force Awakens just have a feeling I wont catch it till January :(.

Working on a new film, this is the opening sequence. It's obviously not KSP, at least not this scene, but pay attention to the sound design. Creating an immersive film is all about sound, as well as using it along with your shots to build an atmosphere. I'd recommend looking at Achroma's work for some good examples. 

Edited by HatBat

On December 21, 2015 at 5:35 AM, MrMeeb said:

Merry Christmas! I saw the John Lewis advert, and loved it, so I had to recreate the message in KSP. Hope you like it 

Hey your camera work is getting better. Not personally a fan of the music. But I like the point you where getting accross. Nice work.

Not sure if narrative style cinematics are the type of thing you folks are into, but figured id share some of my stuff here, as the community on these forums has been super supportive. I appreciate any feedback or sharing of course!

I have done a ton of stuff for this game, and just now discovered the camera mods.........SHAME

[noparse]

[/noparse]

(edit:cannot seem to get video links to display in the forums)

Edited by baconfortress
video link not appearing correctly

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 6:39 AM, HatBat said:

Great use of Kerbcam, though a must-do when using the mod is to enable the developer mode in the settings and use it to switch to 'compound mode'. This will smooth out the transitions between keys.......

That made such a huge difference! Thanks Hatbat! So I still have yet to actually tell a story.... :P

But I decided to ring in the new year with something really cool. I started building an F-14 and then decided there's enough video's of them out there. So I went a little bigger

1 hour ago, HatBat said:

Please don't post videos like these here and remove your posts if possible. 

Just to clarify, the reason for the first one was because I saw you post EP: 24 "The Shield Breaks" of The Kethane Station and i figured what I tried to do is not all that different. As for the second one... I just really wanted to know why this happened but its not the right thread for that kind of thing

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 11:11 AM, Sharkman Briton said:

Can someone help me with this kinda stuff? I'm very new to video making :P

So, I want to cut out some parts of my vid (damnit OBS you hath failed me!) and add music. (and mute out the games sound) I've tried using the Youtube Video Editor, and dragged in the vid and some (CC) music, but all it does it play the video once I drag it in... I really wanna make some cool cinematics but this is pulling me back... Anyone know what to do?

I recommend a free video editing software called "Lightworks" It is by far the best free video editor I've found and is capable of doing what you want. I hope this helps.