What type of Kraken is this?

Scootaloo

Not posting this in the support section because I'm sure it's been seen before, but I'm curious of this particular kraken has been named yet.

It's the one where upon reentry into Kerbin, the ground never generates underneath the ship. In the distance it is still blurry as if seen from high up, but looking directly below you yields the square directly below you to be the black of space, with the blue glowing ball that represents Kerbin in map mode visible. No matter how gently you touch down, you explode, similar to entering Jool.

Any name for this kraken?:sealed:

I'm not aware of any name for this, but you can avoid it by quicksaving and reloading(if you already have parachutes deployed, they might be invisible but they're still working).

Some say that switching to map mode and back fixes this. The cause is textures didn't reload. You should be able to notice this by the lack of any 3-D effect of the terrain when approaching low orbit.

While your ship will explode if it hits where the land should be, it will survive if it lands where the water should be.

sGThAvl.jpg

Dk0yw9B.jpg

hZVcXdh.jpg

Hopefully, this bug will get stomped in 0.24

This is known as the texture bug. It's caught me twice so far, map mode didn't help and quicksave/load lost me my parachutes.

It happens when KSP's getting really low on memory so if you have a save from not too much earlier the best you can do is exit and restart the game.

This is known as the texture bug. It's caught me twice so far, map mode didn't help and quicksave/load lost me my parachutes.

It happens when KSP's getting really low on memory so if you have a save from not too much earlier the best you can do is exit and restart the game.

As a test, I switched Load Saves without totally exiting the game and brought another ship back from Minmus. The texture bug did not appear.

I'm surprised if this is an out-of-memory bug, because I can't remember experiencing it in my modded game...only in my unmodded one.

(Though I only ever played 23.5 unmodded. Did the addition of ARM cause vastly more memory-eating than before? Or maybe the problem is that the claw bugged my career save? ARM was fun, but buggy as all get out...)

It's not an out of memory issue. IIRC, the cause is that Kerbin's ground textures/mesh isn't properly loaded into memory when you return from a long trip. It only happens if you go out on a fairly long trip to another planet or moon and return in the same session. It's something to do with the memory allocation messing up because it expects the textures to be there already. Or something. I'm not really sure, I'm just going off what I remember of when it was last looked into.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.