Summer Camp

spaceman1999

I've never been to one, but from descriptions of them they would definitely be a part of my room 101. Group activities and being forced to board with a gaggle of excited, extremely-outgoing people is my idea of a horrible time. I could possibly deal with it for a day or two, but 1-3 weeks? I'd be exhausted and depressed by the end. The fact that I'd most likely have all kinds of authorities/overseers/leaders endlessly encouraging me to be outgoing and essentially participate in some sort of groupthink when both those things aren't a part of me would probably give me some sort of disorder. I'm the kind of person that would rather read nonfiction books and build things out of wood by myself rather than go through such an ordeal as a "summer camp". It's also made infinitely worse by the fact that I'd probably have literally no form of support or understanding, just a truckload of screaming banshees wanting me to be just like them.

Edited by Flymetothemun

I went to a few when I was younger. Actually, quite a few. Many of them were only day camps, but a good number where week long, stay in a cabin or whatever type camps.

Honestly, it's some of the best fun I've ever had in my life, speaking as a reserved introvert. I think a week is all I would typically be good for, since I do eventually need a break from people, and there are certainly times when I would like to have some more down time, but by and large the experiences were always worth some inconveniences. A couple of the best camps I've ever been two were two scout Jamborees, just because of the massive variety of things you get to do.

I've had opportunities to meet professionals I never could have met otherwise, and become friends with people from cultures I would never normally be exposed to. I can't say I loved absolutely every camp I ever attended, but I would absolutely do it all over again in a heart beat.

Most of the camps I've been to had a focus. A fair few are scouting camps (by far the best is fantasy camp, where you spend an entire day playing real life D&D). I've also done stuff like computer camps, or rock climbing, or band camp. It's not like a whole bunch of random kids get thrown together and do random stuff. Almost every time there was some common factor. We were there because we shared common interests, or were training for the same sport. For bonus points, I was always in fantastic shape by the end of summer.

Edited by Randox

I've been to 2 Civil Air Patrol NCSA's this summer (I got to solo! yay!) and I've been to 6 total over 3 years and all of mine have been a week long. They are fun to go to and you make a lot of friends, but when the cadet commander gets mad, or when we have to march everywhere i kinda wish i'd stayed home. And when its all over and I get to go home i have a week of KSP to catch up on.

I was to a camp for gifted teens last summer for 10 years. We didn't have to camp, we stayed in small rooms in a little complex joined up with a school where everything was happening. It was my first time going to a camp away from home.

Despite being a little shy, it was one of the best places ever. I got to know my mates better than before, I got to know their hidden sides, and they were very surprising for me to discover. We had out fav teachers from school and we had a few scientists come over. At day, we worked our brains to the max, at night, we did whatever we wanted:watch movies, play games, talk, listen to music, go into an abandoned house nearby and so on. Heck, we didn't always sleep in our own cabins. Out of the 10 days I spent 4 in my own room-the rest I spent in other people's rooms :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.