Rear landing Gear to complete stock part, need useful information recent information

stephm

hello !

first thank you for these usefull informations !

This morning I have find (I think) the correct way with XNormal, but I need you opinion, try

the new part to look the bumpmap in game !!

seem to be better ! for me .

@-blackheart612:

In PNG format with 2048 size all file are smaller than MBM format in 1024 size.

In unity I use convert to grayscale for MBM for PNG it's Xnormal.

size for all png texture -> 4.05 mo

size for all mbm texture -> 9.5 mo

@-Justin-Kerbice:

yes I have noticed that for normal map, I use the _NRM tag too !, and yes the material is on KSP/bumped

For you're second advice that exactly what I do this morning, small tweak on gray scale map

to accentuate the effect .

thank you :wink:

Edit :

(for Justin-Kerbice) I'm not a GIMP user, I have CS3 license for photoshop, yes it's old

but it's enough powerful to do thing, but the bumpMap pluggin for Gimp is really cool !!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding of commentary on my release addon post for this part

about feature for controlling the picth on ground by the gear setup:

For a tweakable landing gear height, I'm thinking and why not make this option

on standard small gear bay, I mean a revised smallgearbay to correct the plane angle !!

because on the way how Wheelcollider work it's much easy to work on a center gear !!

I think the rear landing gear need a front landing gear with modifiable height !

Here a picture to show you the concept :

kFxTWXV.jpg

@+

Edited by stephm
think tank about height control

• 2 weeks later...

hello !

I'm re- start here, purpose only one part working with symmetry.

@nli2Work :

-in UNITY I have turned the complete gameobject on Y axis

0ppeKqy.jpg

and the result :

7Hv8e2W.jpg

For mirror thing, I think the part need to be setup on an axis mirror in this geometry ok ?

So for my Part, the center of part need to be moved somewhere to catch an axis Mirror

need to be on this axis, if y understand the problem !

I try this big modification !

back later.

hello !

I'm re- start here, purpose only one part working with symmetry.

@nli2Work :

-in UNITY I have turned the complete gameobject on Y axis

http://i.imgur.com/0ppeKqy.jpg

and the result :

http://i.imgur.com/7Hv8e2W.jpg

For mirror thing, I think the part need to be setup on an axis mirror in this geometry ok ?

So for my Part, the center of part need to be moved somewhere to catch an axis Mirror

need to be on this axis, if y understand the problem !

Yes that's the major draw back of relying on the Z axis mirroring. The part has to be designed so there's no obvious forward/backward directions, that also restricts use of spot lights as they would show one side is facing backwards.

back again it's fast yep, I thinking about a Major rule about mirroring !!!

The way how mirror work need to be a part with a mesh symmetrical in all axis !

And if you look my strange part lol, there are no axis symmetry in mesh everything is shifted and not centered, may be

for this type of configuration it's not possible to have only one part !!

Difficult to say that in English for me , in the part they no real symmetry working based on the center of part.

if I 'm back to my original rotation (0,0,0) and if I look the Zaxis , the part mesh is not symmetrical .

May be if y change the Center to the Y position ....................

I'm back lol

in this try : model is rotated 90 on Y axis and wheel axis is centered (Z)with center of the part :

f9GRLtU.jpg

And in SPH:

qD4kSYY.jpg

Wheel are no in mirror , but .... the shape of the case not mirrored because it's a non symmetrical mesh !

I'm right ? ( in fact is not a good part lol at all, a bizarre part :D ! yep ...)

Edit : 23h59 (French time ) I have discovers a another little bug on part placement, in cfg

to help people I have tweaked the node_Attach parameter but forget to correct the position, building a craft

at this moment and the part are a little shifted, I think people begin to Hate me lo !

and again an other update and modification fortunately not so many download !..

I'm back tomorrow , try to change this little glitch.

steph

Edited by stephm

I'm afraid 'mirroring' in KSP is not mirror symmetry, it is rotational symmetry as you seem to be finding out. The only way to make handed parts like you've created that will place correctly with the symmetry mode will be with some clever Unity rigging and a custom plugin. I don't mean to be discouraging, but not a lot of sense in you beating your head against this one when you could be making more cool stuff :)

I'm going to play around with some code to enable this at some point (someone told me procedural parts have something workable), but the stock game simply won't do what you want :( It's a shame, I know!

Brilliant work, though!

hello again !

Yes it's not easy to manage, for now I stay with two part, but regarding my bug placement I have discover

an another thing the scale is not the same between the two part and the difference is noticeable, what an error I have mad pfff...

same parameter in the same cfg but not the same scale, I'm looking each part to see if it's not a blender scale problem somewhere...

cfg placement is ok it's the scale of one part is not the same, it's to late for me time to bed

thank again

(may tomorrow with clear spirit the problem will be resolved I hope !!!)

steph

If it makes you feel any better, I've just spent and evening battling stuff that's been exported from Blender with the transforms completely wrecked. Looks fine in 3ds, exports like a whole weird bunch of madness. Would be quicker to re-model, I think!

A temporary workaround is possible:

Create your two parts with stack nodes. Create a part that surface attaches and 'mirrors' correctly with a stack node that your handed parts will latch onto. Doesn't get you much further forward, but it's an easy way to get things reliably in the right place :)

I must get around to making my 'mirror' plugin...

hi ! it's very late for me but I have resolved my scale bug !!!

thank a lot lo-fi for you're advice an support appreciate that !!

In unity not pay attention to Bounds size for both gear, and position not sure if it's affect the global scale, but

now they are in same size and position (mirroring is respected)

I have noticed too, about game object scale on some object scale like 0.99999999, not sure if it important in this precision

but for the two part I have matched the scale to 1. for the main objects.

With no scale and rescale line in CFG part are now same size and now problem for alignment !!! .

I don't use scale (because it's seem do weird thing on size), but rescale work well now

Based on aeris stock plane I'm tweak a little the size to have a horizontal pitch on ground !

It's cool now, because if have time to finish front gear, or for other front gear (perhaps B9 never tested b9 yet on 0.24.2)

It's possible to modify the size without this problem I have before .

I upgrade the file in few hours :blush:, it's really time to bed now

I prefer take some sleep, to avoid some error on upload.

And take time to check everything twice.

steph

@+

You're very welcome, it's a pleasure :D As I was saying in another thread, we've got some really good momentum going with people sharing ideas and information about wheel related stuff, so I try to encourage and contribute myself as much as possible.

rescaleFactor is definitely the way to go, though don't forget that the defaullt is 1.25! Scale doesn't change things like stack nodes and a whole bunch of other stuff. Both can be useful, though rescaleFactor is normally more so.

I've just got some code running to detect which side a part is on and enable or disable certain objects within it accordingly. It's a long way from finished, but will enable you to put both the left and right handed model into one part and have the plugin activate the correct set of mesh depending on which side of the vessel the part has been placed on. I have to figure out how to hook into the editor attach functions, but this will just take some time. I'll get you to test out when it's ready if you're happy to do so?

Night!

hi ! (I slept only five hours !!!!!! :cool:, but everything is ok for now on my gear, looking some other thing now)

And ok for the test if it's not too complicated to manage ! thank.

-I'm reading a lot, all the information you give on other post and I try to understand !

-I test myself some basic code on my gear to see how thing work, but I have a barrier language against me

and it's not easy for me to follow all the information at this moment, especially for pluggin info.

@+

steph

It's crazy how the whole world of computing runs in English. Not that I'm complaining being an Englishman, but must make it so much harder for you.

Feel free to shout if you want anything clarified. It's all quite simple really, just complicated to put into words :)

thk :wink:

in fact I have more of ten years school English learning :blush:, I was young stupid, and not attentive during these English lesson !

and of course I'm bad too in my native language..........

now many year after that I pay the price !.

I'm watch everything I can for movie in English with French subtitle (since my first Pc DVD player) , that help a lot, the French traduction are often very bad ......

And yes for other people it's hard everything is in English now ..............

@+

I hope you've seen lo-fi's new plugin, .

hi !

thank you very much :wink:, and yes for the lo-fi's plugin, I have already tested some gear !

they are problem with multiple animation .

but it's work already very well for mesh !

And if you have a part not so much complex the pluggin work !

test it !

@+

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.