[1.9-1.10] Hangar

allista

[b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]  

326 members have voted

1. 1. [b]Do you use the [u]Desaturated Texture Pack?[/u][/b]

• Yes, the grey textures are more stock-like
    • No, the green-orange textures are fine

I'm still having the problem where, if you remove the Hangar folder from GameData, it will corrupt your career save and produce the can't-click-on-the-VAB, can't exit the admin building etc. bug as described here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/626329187149000855/. Replacing the Hangar folder fixes it. Sorry, no log, because the most recent was from the one that worked. It may be interaction with another mod, who knows, but it's still there.

I've figured out what is happening. It's a KSP bug that should occur whenever a mod that provides custom Agents for Contracts System is removed. After that if you try to do anything that triggers the game to be saved (enter VAB/SHP, exit Contracts building and so on), a NullReferenceException occurs in Contracts.Contract.Save because the agent does not exist anymore. The only way to fix this is to manually remove all the contracts (including finished ones) with such agents from the corrupted savegame.

I've explained what to do in a simple HOWTO.

UPD: I've filed a bug report to KSP-support.

Edited by allista

Hi all,

I´ve got a bug similar to the one with ScienceAlert... maybe it´s even the same, though I already deleted the ScienceAlert folder from my Gamedata.

I can load an vessel into an Hangar (only tested with the Inline Hangar) in the VAB but once my Ship is on the Launchpad I cant launch any vessel, the controls for doing so are missing from the Hangar window.

I does show however that I´ve got loaded vessels in my hangar.

After trying around a bit I´ve noticed that my small Sattelite is outside my Ship:

http://imgur.com/PUSe3mT

I´ve got quite some mods.... here´s an Versionchecker list:

KSP: 0.90 (Win32) - Unity: 4.5.5f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

USI Tools - 0.3.1

Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.6

B9 Aerospace - 5.2.6

BioMass - 0.2.2.1

SCANsat Mission Pack - 1.0.1

Community Resource Pack - 0.3.2

Contract Configurator - 0.4.3

Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.3

Custom Asteroids - 1.1

DMagic Orbital Science - 0.9.1

Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.14.6

Firespitter - 6.3.5

Hangar - 2.0.2

In-Flight Waypoints - 1.2.7

RasterPropMonitor - 0.18.3

Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.0 - 1.0.14.1

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.0.1

HyperEdit - 1.3

KineTechAnimation - 1.1.1

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

Final Frontier - 0.6.4.689

S.A.V.E - 0.9.13.333

Pilot Assistant - 0.9.6.2

PlanetShine - 0.2.2.1

QuickScroll - 1.0.1

RCS Build Aid - 0.5.4

RealChute - 1.2.6.3

Regolith - 0.1.2

RemoteTech - 1.5.2

ResGen - 0.28.2

SCANsat - 1.0.9.41

SpaceY Lifters - 0.7

StageRecovery - 1.5.3

TAC Life Support - 0.10.1.1320

Alternate Resource Panel - 2.6.3

Transfer Window Planner - 1.2.2

Asteroid Mining Technologies - 0.1.1

USI Exploration Pack - 0.3.1

Freight Transport Tech - 0.3

Karbonite - 0.5.1

Karbonite Plus - 0.3

MKS - 0.22.3

USI Survivability Pack - 0.2.2

Universal Storage (KAS) - 1.0

Universal Storage - 1.0.90

I´ve got more mods which are not included, have to search them manually... but maybe someone has a similar issue?

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I´m doing a Career play.

Just tried the Hangar in an new Sandbox play and it worked...

Starting a new Career play with custom science points as a test, worked too, even with the new ScienceAlert version...

Dunno, seems to be something in my Savegame got somehow messed up :(

Hi all,

I´ve got a bug similar to the one with ScienceAlert... maybe it´s even the same, though I already deleted the ScienceAlert folder from my Gamedata.

I can load an vessel into an Hangar (only tested with the Inline Hangar) in the VAB but once my Ship is on the Launchpad I cant launch any vessel, the controls for doing so are missing from the Hangar window.

I does show however that I´ve got loaded vessels in my hangar.

After trying around a bit I´ve noticed that my small Sattelite is outside my Ship:

http://imgur.com/PUSe3mT

...maybe someone has a similar issue?

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I´m doing a Career play.

Just tried the Hangar in an new Sandbox play and it worked...

Starting a new Career play with custom science points as a test, worked too, even with the new ScienceAlert version...

Dunno, seems to be something in my Savegame got somehow messed up :(

Sorry for the delay. What you've described does look like Hangar's bug, but to understand anything I, as always, need logs of the gamerun during which the bug happened. Please, publish your logs, so I could examine them. If you don't know how to do this or where the logs are, look through several of the last pages of this thread: the routine was explained in detail here several times.

Sorry for the delay. What you've described does look like Hangar's bug, but to understand anything I, as always, need logs of the gamerun during which the bug happened. Please, publish your logs, so I could examine them. If you don't know how to do this or where the logs are, look through several of the last pages of this thread: the routine was explained in detail here several times.

I´m not the fastest for replying either, so it doesnt matter :)

Should have thought on the log files... my bad.

Thats weird... just wanted to recreate the bug for the logfiles, kept the savefile for that case, and it didnt appear. Tried it a few times now and the hangar works just fine, no missing buttons or out-of-ship-vessels.

Definitly wasnt your mod then, I´ve added and updated a few mods since then...maybe that fixed it.

Sorry for wasting your time :/

Well I started already a new game, wasnt far anyway.

Keep up the good work, it definately is one of the most overlooked things in the unmodded KSP!

There might be a bug with the 2.0.2 CKAN package - unlike 2.0.1, on install it claims to be incompatible with the CKAN package for KSPApiExtensions? Which is something of a problem, inasmuch as about half of all the rest of the mods I use have dependencies on KSPApiExtensions...

-c

There might be a bug with the 2.0.2 CKAN package - unlike 2.0.1, on install it claims to be incompatible with the CKAN package for KSPApiExtensions? Which is something of a problem, inasmuch as about half of all the rest of the mods I use have dependencies on KSPApiExtensions...

Be damned the CKAN and their ideas of mod dependencies! :huh:

Hangar does use KSPAPIExtensions itself, but as many other mods, it provides its own copy of it. Which is a normal and intended usage pattern for KAE. But in the CKAN they decided that if you have one copy of a dll, you cannot install another one. So, apparently, if one mod pulls in KAE as a dependence, the other cannot bundle KAE dll.

I will try to sort it out somehow, but really, it's CKAN's problem :mad:

UPD: Even more! The "wise" NetKAN maintainers ADDED the conflicts statement:

"conflicts": [ { "name": "KSPAPIExtensions" } ],

to my Hangar.netkan!

No wonder you get the message.

Bastards! :mad:

Edited by allista

I've released a compatiility update with no requirement for the KAE .dll to be in the Hangar/Plugins. I also updated the Hangar.netkan file, but until they pull in my request and the NetKAN bot indexes it you won't see the change. So I suggest you to just grab the update from KerbalStaff (in fact, v2.0.2 should also work if you install it manually).

But to be honest: this is the last time I'm dealing with CKAN. They add redundant restrictions and mess up with the metadata files you provide without telling you. I have my hands full with the development to spend effort on support for yet another buggy third party addon manager :confused:

In CKAN's defense, though, is it really such a good idea to have many different versions of the same DLL lying around in your KSP install? I'm guessing since you can explicitly specify the path of the DLL, it is a fairly safe practice for the programmer, but it is pretty confusing for the end-user, and CKAN isn't the only version control system that gets confused by the inconsistent redundancies of KSPAPIExtensions, KSP-AVC keeps complaining about it also, as long as any located copy of KSPAPIExt isn't up to date.

Wouldn't the simplest solution simply be to update Hangar for the most recent version of KSPAPIExt? Has the API been thoroughly modified in some way so that this involves a lot of extra work? Keeping your own copy of the DLL in the Hangar folder, as long as it's the most recent version, shouldn't be a problem. I have several mods installed via CKAN (Infernal Robotics, Near Future Propulsion, TweakScale, ProceduralFairings, Extraplanetary Launchpads) that rely on KSPAPIExtensions.dll and bundle it with their own installation package without any problem whatsoever. If they've all been able to make their mods compatible with CKAN without issue then it seems like it should be possible for Hangar as well.

In CKAN's defense, though, is it really such a good idea to have many different versions of the same DLL lying around in your KSP install? I'm guessing since you can explicitly specify the path of the DLL, it is a fairly safe practice for the programmer, but it is pretty confusing for the end-user, and CKAN isn't the only version control system that gets confused by the inconsistent redundancies of KSPAPIExtensions, KSP-AVC keeps complaining about it also, as long as any located copy of KSPAPIExt isn't up to date.

Wouldn't the simplest solution simply be to update Hangar for the most recent version of KSPAPIExt? Has the API been thoroughly modified in some way so that this involves a lot of extra work? Keeping your own copy of the DLL in the Hangar folder, as long as it's the most recent version, shouldn't be a problem. I have several mods installed via CKAN (Infernal Robotics, Near Future Propulsion, TweakScale, ProceduralFairings, Extraplanetary Launchpads) that rely on KSPAPIExtensions.dll and bundle it with their own installation package without any problem whatsoever. If they've all been able to make their mods compatible with CKAN without issue then it seems like it should be possible for Hangar as well.

Hangar uses the latest KAE, and local copy is just the way to NOT have a dependency on a particular path and user's environment. It's a normal practice for c# assemblies to be redistributables (e.g. TweakScale provides its own redistributable for the same purpose -- to be included in mod's distribution). Even more: KAE has an election system that always chooses the latest of the local versions and disables the rest. I don't know about KSP-AVC -- it does not check for dlls, only for the .version file, and native KAE distribution does not provide one. CKAN may be trying to do a good thing, but they create virtual mod conflicts and contradict the plugin developers in the way they want to provide their content. It's not their place to decide how a plugin should be linked and packaged.

I have several mods installed via CKAN (Infernal Robotics, Near Future Propulsion, TweakScale, ProceduralFairings, Extraplanetary Launchpads) that rely on KSPAPIExtensions.dll and bundle it with their own installation package without any problem whatsoever.

I would not have problems either if the NetKAN maintainers had not messed with my .netkan file. It was their decision to incorrectly state that the Hangar "conflicts" with KAE. It does not.

Edited by allista

I'm trying to use Hangar 2.0.2.2 mod, but there is an issue with resizing hangars.

I'm using inline hangar without extensions to store one 2.5M vessel in it and another small 1.25 tech vessel. Hangar is resized up to 4x1.2 aspect ratio and shows properly when just flying "mothership". But when I select any vessel from it and making launch the Hangar size appears to be original 2x1 despite all other parts of mothership. And it is ok with smaller vessels, but not with 2.5M one which don't fit at all and blows up immediately (see screenshot with hangar inside the launched vessel). Is it happening to anyone else? What can I do to fix it?screenshot40.png

First, thanks muchly for the quick fix - works great for me now!

Hangar uses the latest KAE, and local copy is just the way to NOT have a dependency on a particular path and user's environment. It's a normal practice for c# assemblies to be redistributables (e.g. TweakScale provides its own redistributable for the same purpose -- to be included in mod's distribution). Even more: KAE has an election system that always chooses the latest of the local versions and disables the rest.

Eh, that's true, although I don't think the .NET team ever envisioned lots of different (or, indeed, identical) copies of the same redistributable being loaded into the same app.

The reason I like the way CKAN does it, though...

[Well, did it. Before they broke it, and I suppose now again that you've fixed it. It looked to me like the old .netkan file was happy to filter out the KSPAPIExtensions.dll during the install process, which means everyone gets what they wants, so I've no idea what they were thinking when they changed it.]

...is because while it does work, and the type-election system is ingenious, all those copies of KSPAPIExtensions and other assemblies/part-assemblies that do the same thing (you know who you are) are still loaded, belike, and the type-elector can't unload them. Which in turn plays badly with Unity's whatever-the-hell-it-does that doesn't play nice with virtual memory and crashes as soon as it runs out of address space. If I'm running seventy mods, and a dozen of them use KSPApiExtensions, that's over a meg of perfectly good address space wasted on throwaway code that won't even be executed once. And sure, that's not a lot, but when you're running the raggedy edge of high mod load, it can still mean a quicker road to crashin'. That's why I was trimming redundant copies where I could long before I started using CKAN.

(Note: I'm not asking for anything, here - it's your mod, obviously, develop and distribute it the way you think best. Just throwin' that thought out there.)

-c

I'm trying to use Hangar 2.0.2.2 mod, but there is an issue with resizing hangars.

I'm using inline hangar without extensions to store one 2.5M vessel in it and another small 1.25 tech vessel. Hangar is resized up to 4x1.2 aspect ratio and shows properly when just flying "mothership". But when I select any vessel from it and making launch the Hangar size appears to be original 2x1 despite all other parts of mothership. And it is ok with smaller vessels, but not with 2.5M one which don't fit at all and blows up immediately (see screenshot with hangar inside the launched vessel). Is it happening to anyone else? What can I do to fix it?

Oh, boy! Looks ugly, I'm sorry for the mess. :confused:

The first thing you can do is to publish your KSP_Data/output_log.txt, so that I could see what really happened.

Also, were you using some previous issues without this issue?

Edited by allista

type-elector can't unload them. Which in turn plays badly with Unity's whatever-the-hell-it-does that doesn't play nice with virtual memory and crashes as soon as it runs out of address space.

Plugins don't actually take any noteable memory unless they are instanced (read: active), and KAE will only be instancing the most up to date (and it doesn't store any data either, so the memory footprint of the instanced version is an inconsequential handful of bytes).

...is because while it does work, and the type-election system is ingenious, all those copies of KSPAPIExtensions and other assemblies/part-assemblies that do the same thing (you know who you are) are still loaded, belike, and the type-elector can't unload them. Which in turn plays badly with Unity's whatever-the-hell-it-does that doesn't play nice with virtual memory and crashes as soon as it runs out of address space. If I'm running seventy mods, and a dozen of them use KSPApiExtensions, that's over a meg of perfectly good address space wasted on throwaway code that won't even be executed once. And sure, that's not a lot, but when you're running the raggedy edge of high mod load, it can still mean a quicker road to crashin'. That's why I was trimming redundant copies where I could long before I started using CKAN.

Well, I can't argue with that :) I was just pissed of by NetKANians who've changed the rules with redistributables without explicitly stating it anywhere, and they change the metadata you provide without informing you and break your installation; but it's your reputation that suffers in the end and it's you who end up fixing the mess. I agree that they're trying to do the right thing and trying hard, but I still certain that it's their responsibility to make their installation process work (provided that the manually installed package does) either by tweaking their rules or by contacting the developer before changing anything, so that he/she could figure out the problem. If that was the case, the fix would be there two weeks already and all would be happier.

Plugins don't actually take any noteable memory unless they are instanced (read: active), and KAE will only be instancing the most up to date (and it doesn't store any data either, so the memory footprint of the instanced version is an inconsequential handful of bytes).

The physical/virtual memory footprint is an inconsequential handle of bytes - well, a 4K page - yeah, but the assemblies are still mapped into the 2GB usermode address space by the loader whether there are any pages backing them up or not. And as I understand the underlying Unity issue, it throws a fit when it runs out of address space, not when it runs out of underlying pages to map.

-c

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I can't argue with that :) I was just pissed of by NetKANians who've changed the rules with redistributables without explicitly stating it anywhere, and they change the metadata you provide without informing you and break your installation; but it's your reputation that suffers in the end and it's you who end up fixing the mess. I agree that they're trying to do the right thing and trying hard, but I still certain that it's their responsibility to make their installation process work (provided that the manually installed package does) either by tweaking their rules or by contacting the developer before changing anything, so that he/she could figure out the problem. If that was the case, the fix would be there two weeks already and all would be happier.

And I certainly can't argue with that!

-c

Oh, boy! Looks ugly, I'm sorry for the mess. :confused:

The first thing you can do is to publish your KSP_Data/output_log.txt, so that I could see what really happened.

Also, were you using some previous issues without this issue?

It was first attempt to launch in resized hangar. All previous uses were for small 1.25m probes, so, don't know. I also tried new sandbox with same vessel and hangar - worked perfectly. Looks like it is was something wrong with save. Worked around accidently by exiting from KSP just after releasing the vessel - after loading back it was outside :).

It looks like I have no output_log.txt at all :(. But I have KSP.log and it says http://pastebin.com/faVuvTYq (from quicksave loading till kraken issue).

It was first attempt to launch in resized hangar. All previous uses were for small 1.25m probes, so, don't know. I also tried new sandbox with same vessel and hangar - worked perfectly. Looks like it is was something wrong with save. Worked around accidently by exiting from KSP just after releasing the vessel - after loading back it was outside :).

It looks like I have no output_log.txt at all :(. But I have KSP.log and it says http://pastebin.com/faVuvTYq (from quicksave loading till kraken issue).

Sorry, I cannot find anything in KSP.log. Unfortunately, in most cases it's useless.

And you should have output_log.txt under {KSP}\KSP_Data\ if you're on Win.

If on Linux, search for the Player.log in $HOME/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/

Not sure whether to post this in the support section or post here, anyways, I've run into a reproducible crash with the hangar mod.

To reproduce:

1. Launch the rover lander ship (it already has the rover inside it). You'll see the kinetic pop here.

2. Activate hangar and open doors (if you ended upside down, reload launch).

3. Launch the vehicle.

4. Switch to it, notice that it's stuck and can't move, the wheels can still turn.

5. Revert to VAB and just after the VAB loads, BAM, crash.

I've tested out with a quick and ugly rover that doesn't have part cropping to check if that was the issue and the kinetic pop still happens. Also, the reason that I have a landing leg on top of the rover is because that's my attempt at a mechanism to flip the rover back over if it ends up flipped.

Windows 8.1 64bit

KSP 0.90, running 32bit

Mods:

FAR

KAS (no KAS parts on either craft)

MechJeb plus extension for FAR

Nereids S.A.V.E. backup system

Hangar mod 2.0.2.2

B9 Aerospace (one of the structural pieces of the rover and the headlights are from this)

Stock Part Revamp (textures only)

ATM

Stock Bug Fix Modules*

procedural fairings (not used in the two crafts used)

*The specific ones that I have are Anchored Decoupler fix, chute quickload, crew roster freeze, EVA ejection fix, and kerbal debris fix.

Crashlogs with the needed craft files, both of which are in the VAB http://sta.sh/01w2m5ukhxv2

*bump*

id really like to get this crash looked into as its kind of game breaking, I also wonder if you're aware of this odd kinetic pop that happens when the hangar is loaded.

Sorry, I will try to look into the matter ASAP, probably this evening. It's a working week, you know.

- - - Updated - - -

I've failed to reproduce the bug, then looked into your logs and found the culprit:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at [B]BetterBuoyancy[/B].BBCrewEVAWatcher.HandleCrewEVA (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ProtoVessel.Load (.FlightState st) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.StoredVessel.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarMachinery.TryRestoreVessel (AtHangar.StoredVessel stored_vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarWindow.LaunchButton () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.HangarWindow.HangarCotrols (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

It's the same bug that haunted ScienceAlert: BB handles poorly the onVesselCreate event. Again, this should affect ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads as well.

Sorry it took me so long to react: I have busy schedule these days.

I'll write to ferram about it.

- - - Updated - - -

No need to write to ferram it seems. He found the bug and fixed it in the code already. You may try to grab the dev snapshot or wait for the next release.

Oh whoops, I forgot to list better buoyancy, sorry, I'll check the latest dev build.

Any idea what's going on with the kinetic pop or jump?

If you resized the Rover Lander, then the jump is caused by it intersecting with the launchpad before physics kick in. You see, a vessel is placed on the launchpad before modules are activated, so it is placed in it's default size and only then is resized by resizer module. For now the only way to prevent it is to use launch clamps.

Another thing that happens upon launch is storing of constructs that were saved in editor. This process is accompanied by very fast switching between the hangar and launched-and-stored vessels. But this cause the camera to jitter, not the vessel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.