Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

So just by hyperediting the Oberon into orbit and trying to hit it with it's own stuff, I've found out many things.

A: The Tin o' Booms missiles dont have any form of propulsion, must have forgot.

B: Creative strutting required. Or else every part of the ship will go randomly until the whole thing breaks apart.

C: it doesn't seem to have it's own reaction wheels, SAS is useless.

D: I'm the worst shot in the world.

E: Did I mention I'm the worst shot in the world?

Yes, must've been a brainfart, the Tin o' Boom itself has Linear RCS Propulsion. A Tin o' Boom is basically a controllable-missile-pod-fighter-thing, where it detatches from the main ship, gets into position and can use it's 4 missiles to wreck havoc, before attatching back to the main ship, well, thats what I'm trying to get it to be.

Yes, must've been a brainfart, the Tin o' Boom itself has Linear RCS Propulsion. A Tin o' Boom is basically a controllable-missile-pod-fighter-thing, where it detatches from the main ship, gets into position and can use it's 4 missiles to wreck havoc, before attatching back to the main ship, well, thats what I'm trying to get it to be.

So basically a disposeable fighter like thing that can ram if needed? Ive experimented with such designs, essentially sacrificial fighters that can fire off missiles and then act as a missile itself (or reattach if you dont need any more firepower on target). Still, i think dedicated missiles are better, less parts, and its not like you cant just fly the capital ship up to a target, aim and fire. Ive actually started using alot less guided ordinance recently, its still plenty effective if you have a mk1 inline to aim with, and properly designed RT-5 based weapons with a AP tip will do just as much damage as guided missiles, at a fraction of the part count. Too bad RT-5s are impossible to steer reliably, theyd make great one shot engines for guided missiles, but you just get so little control over them.

that said, what ur developing seems to be rarely used, so ill give you uniqueness points. Might not be as pat count effective as conventional weapons, but it does give you the ability to deal with high part counts as you dont need to have 2 ships loaded at the same time to engage. just deploy at 10km, fly up to enemy, fire off rounds, and go back.

The Ra-class Torpedo Boat is under construction, weighs 47 tons with 4 of our new capital ship splitter Horus missiles.

U seem to be using alot of egyptian like names for ur ships. Just dont name any of them Ha'tak as thats already taken by something i made a replica of back in .23 or 24. Ohh, and thanks for reminding me, need to update it sooner or later, it didnt look as cool as my basestar replicas, but it did look pretty good for a cinematicish ship, maybee the mk2/mk3 will help make it less of a lagfest since trying to make large capital ships before mk2/3 parts came out was annoying.

Edited by panzer1b

I have already tested it with my weapons but nevermind. Trust me it's pretty tough I can usually cut a ship in half using the Kraken Tirepedoes but my newly developed core structure proved to be successful.

I just have to to update it again with lower part count this time so I can battle realistically, it was originally designed to face zekes behemoths though. I can reduce it to 500-600 parts.

I'll send a link as soon as possible for the new craft.

Ok then, lets fight, gimmie 2 days to refit the murderer...

- - - Updated - - -

U seem to be using alot of egyptian like names for ur ships. Just dont name any of them Ha'tak as thats already taken by something i made

Rich coming from you....:P

Zamo, got any info on the missile pods on your cruiser-carrier? I'm interested. I have an idea to make them basically little mini-fighters, that can detatch and reattatch to the main ship after firing a missile or two at a better distance from the enemy than the main ship.

Zamo, got any info on the missile pods on your cruiser-carrier? I'm interested. I have an idea to make them basically little mini-fighters, that can detatch and reattatch to the main ship after firing a missile or two at a better distance from the enemy than the main ship.

I'm so sorry that idea has been as old as far as I know when i first joined this forum. The only thing special about mine is that they are disposable and will not return to the ship but they are not missiles themselves plus they function as engines of the main ship. If you are looking for reusable fighters ask the others here like Spartwo who has an awesome Carrier.

Hello everyone, SAP-C is proud to introduce our latest craft, the Monument-Class Heavy Destroyer, named by Alpha as a "Monument" to my battleship making skills getting better, this craft has two-hundred and fifty-six parts fully armed, and just one-hundred and ninety without, no DL link yet as the 1.25m arnament hasn't been released by us yet, but it has two stacked 0.650m missiles on either side, recycled arnaments from the Posterus at the front and the unreleased missile is a Horus. It has great looks, and without the Horus attatched the front is ADORABLE! Like a happy, cute, evil deadly fish. All arnaments except for the PosterTorps can be replaced, and most of it has double layered armour! Once the Horus is released I will give screens and a DL link.

EDIT: Heres a DL link and Album.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
download Monument-Class Heavy Destroyer Enjoy! Not much compared to the other craft here but it's progress for me! Especially as I remembered to strut it. Edited by Sharkman Briton

i know this isnt a serious naval battle ship, but i think ive finally achieved something thats actually worthwhile in KSP, my 1st 100% legit SSTL fighter with ~1.5t ordinance capacity. This fighter gets to laythe and back, and with the proper ascent will end up in orbit with 4500-4600 dV. Ofc there is no reason to use it on here, as whats the point of having 7000 dV fully fueled (thats what it gets when i dont launch to LKO legit), when there is no planet that being able to go such distance would matter (unless its some full scale war say any location around jool or something).

really the only somewhat arguably cheaty thing is clipped fuel tanks, and using a mod that lets u swap LFO for pure LF while maintaining identical fuel mass per tank. I dont consider any of this cheating as its just impossible to make aesthetically pleasing fighters that will get to laythe and back without refueling unless you clip parts. there is what, like 20 FLT-100 tanks in the bay, between 2 missiles), the whole things what, 30 tons lol, pushed by a single rapier.

i'm back!

my computer was broke ;.;

but now i have developed a new interesting fighter, and since we all seem to be using this thread to announce things now...

I'll just post it.

FPecskM.png

94 parts

6 I-beam Torpedoes

3 shots / 2 each

Edited by 8bitgammers
added info

Ive actually gotta say that KSP is alot more fun when you focus on smaller scale stuff, fighters, ground vehicles, buildings, ect, instead of pure capital vs capital with the occasional carrier/fighter mixed in. Capitals have their place, but since ive never really spent much time on a small scale, nor spent much time with stuff liek resupply, recon, and non directly military related stuff, i think its rather interesting to open up new ways of playing KSP.

Ive been experimenting around with ground stuff now, and ive started up a new campaign between AKS and their rival as well as other factions as well.

Im going to eventually get into videos like Macey or Hatbat have been doing, but for now i think i can actually annotate all the screenies, and once i get enough done i probably will put this in its own thread. But for now, here is the start of the war between AKS and B-Corp that im creating a campaign on. Im essentially doing some with each faction, then havinbg some fights, and none of this is actually scripted, so what happens happens, i just add some story to it afterwards.

Also, expect more fighters, since AKS has just created the HK-200, 201, 202, and 204 fighters (well the 200 is technically a recon droid, but its still classed as a fighter). All of them except the 200 are SSTO. That and ive started working on tanks too, ones im gonna deploy around the kerbol system. kerbin is fine and dandy for gropund combat, but it gets a bit stale to always fight with same gravity, near KSC, and with the same weapons, gotta try something new.

i'm back!

my computer was broke ;.;

but now i have developed a new interesting fighter, and since we all seem to be using this thread to announce things now...

I'll just post it.

http://i.imgur.com/FPecskM.png

94 parts

6 I-beam Torpedoes

3 shots / 2 each

nice, although i cant say that for the part count. Almost 100 parst for a SINGLE fighter, wow. If its ion powered then i understand, but even still, how do you expect to have a formation of say 5 or more planes attacking a 500 part ship and not lag to death?

Edited by panzer1b

nice, although i cant say that for the part count. Almost 100 parst for a SINGLE fighter, wow. If its ion powered then i understand, but even still, how do you expect to have a formation of say 5 or more planes attacking a 500 part ship and not lag to death?

in the way my fleet is set up now that part count is fine.

my computer can handle above 1400 o.k. it starts to tap out at 1500 parts.

so five vs. one battle would be fine with only 1000 parts.

- - - Updated - - -

EXAMPLE:

numbers are estaminets.

a 300 part carrier carries 1 of these 100 part fighters, 2 50 part small fighters, and 2 more 100 part large fighters.

that is 700 parts.

+ a 300 part cruiser parked near by = 1100 parts

700 parts.

+ a 300 part cruiser parked near by = 1100 parts

How the hell does 700 + 300 = 1100?

I know it was prolly a typo, but obvious math errors really annoy me for some reason :)

Also, the vast majority of my fighters are below 50 parts including weapons. Ive actually found MK2 fuselage to be great vs anything less then Ibeam+2 sepatrons, and is even resistant somewhat to those unless its multiple shots hitting you.

Bombers get around 100 parts as they are larger, more complex, and they tend to carry upwards of 10 if not even more missiles.

Capitals are at a minimum 150 parts for the hull, ive yet to come up with a good armor scheme that is below that. 150 is what 2 sections of SK-CRV-IIIg3 style hull end up with, along with around 20 or so missile hardpoints, so technically ~130 parts per hull. That thing is no great armor, but compared to the majority of stuff ive seen its quite resistant, and can actually take hits from all but competitive weapons (if you can split a drek with it, you can split this too with good aim and some luck). Im still happy with the basic hull layout, since its really tough to make something better while limiting yourself to so few parts. My frigate is better, way better, but im still not happy with a 250 part hull, doesnt leave much for guns and fighters (all AKS frigates double up as carrier hybrids).

The only fighter ive actually bothered with thats above 100 parts is the HK-201 and 202, since they are SSTOs that can get to laythe (the 201 can do a roundtrip, the 202 not yet but its upwards of 3.5K dV atm). Anything with that much range is going to have a stacked fuel tank in the weapons bay made of ~20-30 FLT-100s as its the only tank that can fit in there 100% and still let me use missiles (1 missile per side, and a sideways facing FLT-100 between, then ofc more FLTs clipped in front/behind the 1st one), i dont like thsi solution, would prefer clipping say MK1 LF tanks or something, but there isnt much option when i insist on air intake+mk1 adaptor+short mk2 bay+another adaptor+mk1 inline pit+rapier+nuke, there is just no room to fit any other tank in such a design anywhere in the bay such that drag on it is disabled as i cant exactly have all those tanks exposed to teh airflow or outside at all since i insist upon a very particular look and extra tanks externally ruin it. At least these craft are very specialized and tend to operate solo anyways as scouts or strike fighters behind enemy lines, luckily they are too big, heavy, and bulky to work with carriers, and having 1 or 2 in a squadron isnt that bad.

Ohh and 8bit, i think ive found a flaw with ur new fighter, a single good hit to the rear and its toast. Also, no idea what u wanna name it, but the name Hex-Fighter is already taken by AKS, it was a heavy fighter that served alongside the Tri-Fighter line for a short time, although it was retired as it was deemed too complex and overkill back in 0.90 (30 tons pushed by 3 rapiers and 3 turbojets as well as the usual 1 nuke in the center, in atmo that thing would go 2km/s reliably though, owing to its 50 or so ram intakes).

Edited by panzer1b

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.