What does the KSP Launcher program do?

If you mean the Launcher in the game directory, it has been disabled as far as I know (at least in the steam version of the game) and does nothing, but I don't know what would happen if you would remove it.

-edit-

Oh, sorry, I was wrong. Well, at least it was partially disabled.

Edited by Volcanix

It's still useable in the Steam version -- you can use it to change settings, and the like, but it won't do anything that it normally does. In the non-Steam version, the Launcher will keep KSP up to date. That's its primary function. It is also a way of changing KSP's settings before you load the game up.

I should point out that since 0.24 was released, Patcher (Edit: on Mac) is broken, so it won't update from the KSP Store. You can still use it to change settings, but you have to quit the Launcher and then run KSP directly. It will also show The Daily Kerbal.

Edited by Master Tao
Patcher issue is Mac-specific

Won't it? I'm aware the 64-bit version isn't able to be used with the Launcher, but I thought the x32 version was working fine.

There is no MacOS X 64 bit version of KSP available and the patch function is definitely broken under MacOS X.

skips

It allows KSP to launch in frameless fullscreen. Steam will only let you use exclusive fullscreen (which is to say, you alt+tab and KSP goes away completely) or windowed mode (which then has the frame get in the way, controls that are on the edges of the screen get cut off). Frameless fullscreen lets me have KSP run on my middle monitor and I can click off onto my other monitors to look up KSP stuff or whatever, but for whatever reason only the launcher is capable of that.

You can also run frameless full screen in Windows by using a command line flag.

1) Create a shortcut directly to KSP.exe.

2) Edit the properties of the shortcut, and add "-popupwindow" to the end of the command line (without the quotes)

So it should look something like "C:\Games\KSP\KSP.exe -popupwindow" That will start it in frameless window mode.

Cheers,

~Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.