[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

im working on it

Also, maybe your mod could include this as a flag:

gasp___lazarus__by_sevgonlernassau-d87aeat.png

EDIT: I also made these patches for the lazarus missions using the patch creator on the interstellar website:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT2: I made the program flag myself:

PPwBGkK.png

Edited by billbobjebkirk

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/326/0/8/gasp___lazarus__by_sevgonlernassau-d87aeat.png

EDIT: I also made these patches for the lazarus missions using the patch creator on the interstellar website:

http://imgur.com/a/DZKVw

http://i.imgur.com/PPwBGkK.png

bro i already included that..... ill try to include the others

Hello

I am big fan of your mod. Can't wait to see it finish. BTW, making the Ranger work with FAR would not be too hard, you just have to bring the center of gravity and the center of lift closer to the center of It. I managed to do it by adding steel plate to the front, two hidden wing near the center and offseting the VTOL engine back to the new center of gravity. It worked perfectly. I don't know if how to offset center of gravity in config file. But if someone show me I would be happy to fix it for you.

Thanks for your awesome work!

ENDURANCE SPACE EXPLORATION SYSTEM (v0.3.1)

The intention of this mod is to create a kerbalised version of the Endurance spacecraft from the film Interstellar (which is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Sci-Fi films of all time). The mod will consist of parts which slot together to produce the finished ship in a KSOS sort of way.

The current plan is as such. The main ring will be a single piece, and part-clipping will be used to attach modules onto the ring in any configuration you like, allowing for some flexibility as to the mission profile etc. Unfortunately this means launching the Endurance as one big piece, but there really isn't any user-friendly way of building it in orbit unless you have lots of patience and a monster computer.

The craft:

ENDURANCE

http://i.imgur.com/TZ9hcDg.png

• Giant ring outfitted with Habitat, Logistics and Engine modules
  • Capable of transporting 2 Landers and 2 Rangers across the solar system
  • Super-efficient plasma thruster engines
  • Multiple docking ports for visiting vehicles
  • Coming soon: integration with TAC life support

LANDER

http://i.imgur.com/xFLjhQv.png

• Cargo lifter SSTO
  • Coming soon: Carries cargo modules from the Endurance to the surface for base building
  • Crew of up to 4
  • Support for Deadly Reentry
  • IVA with RPM integration

RANGER

http://i.imgur.com/2X8EhXD.png

• High-speed atmospheric crew shuttle
  • Super-efficient engines allow SSTO capability
  • Crew of up to 4
  • IVA with RPM integration

Gallery:

http://imgur.com/a/f9ZNO

KNOWN ISSUES - "ADDITIONAL FEATURES"

Ring is unstable when throttled up and physical time-warping beyond 3x.

Major lag when atmospheric effects are set to high. I think this is because of the number of polys in the models. KSP grinds to a halt during reentry unless you turn your atmospheric effects way down. Not sure if this is fixable, but then again you aren't meant to be undergoing reentry with this.

Created by

benjee10 - Models & textures

zekew11 - Implementation

Shryq - Ranger model

xxhansonmaxx - IVAs

Awesome flags by Akron!

I CANT DOCK TO THE ENDURANCE WITH THE LANDER WHILE SPINNING

because when a yaw to the left or right it starts to pitch up and down and rolls and i end up destroying the endurance like Dr Mann. yup kbye

I attempted to dock with a ranger today. I just resized the textures to insanely low resolution so I could load it up (that's what I get for playing KSP on a non-gaming laptop) and i gotta hand it to you guys. You made mechjeb go completely insane. I mean completely nuts! I had to crash KSP to even exit. You might think this is a complain... the exact opposite is true actually. It was quite entertaining and had me quite frantic to try and regain control. I never did, though.

I attempted to dock with a ranger today. I just resized the textures to insanely low resolution so I could load it up (that's what I get for playing KSP on a non-gaming laptop) and i gotta hand it to you guys. You made mechjeb go completely insane. I mean completely nuts! I had to crash KSP to even exit. You might think this is a complain... the exact opposite is true actually. It was quite entertaining and had me quite frantic to try and regain control. I never did, though.

Welcome to KSP! ;)

You know what would be totaly awesome, a mod that make you do the thing they did in Interstellar. with the wormhole and all. That would be something.

Thinking about it, there is a couple of existing mod that might, when put together, allow that.

There's a very slim chance this could be possible in KopernicusTech, the current planet-making mod. Maybe I could make a planet, oblate it to the point of nearly flat, install EVE, and use clouds to give the look of the accretion disk around Gargantua. But I don't even how to oblate planets, so there's that problem. :P

Well thats intresting.

I was thinking about that mod that fake jump to other star system by randomizing planet size and order. Exept that it would not have a part that make you jump, but a wormhole near Jool that trigger the same effect. You would then have to find a habitable planet arould the new star system.

That would do it.

Edit: I would even renounce 6.4k scale and Outer planet mod for that. But only if I have to...

Edited by RedParadize

This is so awesome!

I made two Lander with specialized equipment. One with science package and the other with drills and two KAS attachment rack, Between the two "legs", there is a good spot to protect stuff from rentry. It also happen to be right on center of mass and trust. I had to reduce the engine heat generation by half and add some reflective shielding. Otherwise it was overheating everything connected to the main body.

The only sad part is that the two docking port, sheilded on my variant, are not that usefull. Unless you connect two cargo of equal mass on both of them the lander wont be balanced. Not your fault, its like that in the movie as well, when they pushed Endurence back to orbit during the docking scene, it would normal make it spin. Still, I wonder if we could not find a way to adress that, within a resonable limit of course. Like enough to carry a Lazarus pod under the lander. Like a auto trust offset or something like that. Just a idea, anyway it still could be landed in VTOL mode if we buff the power of the engine a bit.

I realy like this mod, Its keep the part count low, even with the two equiped lander I am still under 130 parts! I fear that it might get a bit too high with the Ranger... Hopefully not.

One thing, lighting effect in window would be realy nice. If you do that, don't make it too bright. Just a dim light would do the trick.

Thanks allot, awesome work realy.

Are there IVAs for the ring?

Nope, anyway there is no room for them within the Ring.

This mod has a glitch. Apparently the Lander does not work and the Endurance and Ranger cancel out vanilla parts and certain mod parts (the Endrurance also cancels out the Ranger). then again I am playing in 0.25, so do i need to play in 0.90?

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/326/0/8/gasp___lazarus__by_sevgonlernassau-d87aeat.png

http://imgur.com/a/DZKVw

http://i.imgur.com/PPwBGkK.png

Dr. Mann lead the Lazarus missions with Dr. Miller and Wolf Edmunds.

- - - Updated - - -

This mod has a glitch. Apparently the Lander does not work and the Endurance and Ranger cancel out vanilla parts and certain mod parts (the Endrurance also cancels out the Ranger). then again I am playing in 0.25, so do i need to play in 0.90?

Yes you do.

There's a very slim chance this could be possible in KopernicusTech, the current planet-making mod. Maybe I could make a planet, oblate it to the point of nearly flat, install EVE, and use clouds to give the look of the accretion disk around Gargantua. But I don't even how to oblate planets, so there's that problem. :P

Than you use that custom shader loader mod to give it that warped space look and it's all good. That is, until your ship smacks into its invisible surface and goes splat.

Than you use that custom shader loader mod to give it that warped space look and it's all good. That is, until your ship smacks into its invisible surface and goes splat.

I can't believe I've never heard of that mod before (well, actually I have but immediately forgot about it)! Sounds really cool, though. :)

That at the first manned mission to Gargantua had Dr. Mann, Miller, and Edmunds

I gotta say it. This part of the movie always messes with me.

It was supposed to be an epic tale of humanity's first-ever voyage beyond the solar system.

Instead it turns out we already sent out 9 whole people, and the Endurance is just checking out who survived?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.