[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

after I saw the movie again tonight I realized that the Landers don't ferry the entire modules down. If you look at this picture: http://i.imgur.com/tVmRdHl.jpg , you can see that each module aside from the engine pods has what appears to be two smaller cargo containers under the crew deck. I think these are what the Landers take down with them and the four actual landing modules (the shielded ones) undock from the ship and land themselves.

I think the back should be a little shorter

https://www.flickr.com/photos/113879533@N02/sets/72157648782189217

Look through this and tell me if you still think that. It might need to be shaved down a tad, but not by much.

Eanikran: Got that straightened out already I believe.

Akira_R: Ill look into it, thanks! I was actually thinking that if needed, the ranger port can be any size needed, because of that angled piece that comes off of the main docking hub. I'd rather Keep the ports the same size if possible, but that's an option. EDIT: It does look like their the same size. If all the other parts are proportional it should be fine I'd think.

Does anyone know if you can limit an engine's gimbal on a specific axis?

Edited by Shryq

https://www.flickr.com/photos/113879533@N02/sets/72157648782189217

Look through this and tell me if you still think that. It might need to be shaved down a tad, but not by much.

Eanikran: Got that straightened out already I believe.

Akira_R: Ill look into it, thanks! I was actually thinking that if needed, the ranger port can be any size needed, because of that angled piece that comes off of the main docking hub. I'd rather Keep the ports the same size if possible, but that's an option. EDIT: It does look like their the same size. If all the other parts are proportional it should be fine I'd think.

Does anyone know if you can limit an engine's gimbal on a specific axis?

*thumbs up*

Do you mean a part that goes onto the ranger, or a piece that can go onto a station or larger craft? The way the endurance is designed, I believe there will be an adapter that goes from 90 on the main hub to 65 on the ranger. If you mean a part to go on the Ranger, that's do-able for sure, and probably a good idea to have. After I get the Ranger flying I'll look into it more.

xxhansonmaxx:

I can't tell if that means "your model looks good" or "I was right"

Edited by Shryq

Do you mean a part that goes onto the ranger, or a piece that can go onto a station or larger craft? The way the endurance is designed, I believe there will be an adapter that goes from 90 on the main hub to 65 on the ranger. If you mean a part to go on the Ranger, that's do-able for sure, and probably a good idea to have. After I get the Ranger flying I'll look into it more.

xxhansonmaxx:

I can't tell if that means "your model looks good" or "I was right"

I think ur right lol, model looks pretty good so far

With the work it would take to convert them all, and the recent updates we've seen on the progress, it might just be a step in the backward direction to use any outside models. At the very least, those should be used as reference for setting up the Kerbal size version. Textures, however, might be doable.

after I saw the movie again tonight I realized that the Landers don't ferry the entire modules down. If you look at this picture: http://i.imgur.com/tVmRdHl.jpg , you can see that each module aside from the engine pods has what appears to be two smaller cargo containers under the crew deck. I think these are what the Landers take down with them and the four actual landing modules (the shielded ones) undock from the ship and land themselves.

This is correct, if you look at this and click on the little bubble for the Lander Pods (just click around, you'll find it) it says this:

"The Endurance is designed to be used in planetary exploration. The lower sections of these pods contain surface mission stores and can be detached and ferried down to a planet’s surface using the Lander craft. On the surface the empty pod can be used as a shelter to protect the explorers from the planet’s environmental conditions. Each pod features a ceramic heat shield on it’s surface."

Cheers

Thanks for link! I'll use that model to make sure all of my proportions are right, and like Gaalidas said, the textures would probably be usable, although with different models it may be more work than its worth.

-_- I have no idea how to open .sm or .sss files. Apparently they're proprietary for that Space engine thing.

Edited by Shryq

Apparently those models are a rip from the online Endurance 3D model that's been posted previously, so I'm not sure we could use textures without potentially running into copyright issues (I doubt they'd take any action against a mod, but I'd rather we made everything from scratch just for the sake of it) but they could be useful for proportions. Already seen some things to tweak on the Lander (I have the cockpit way too short)

No idea how to open the models either though.

For the cargo containers, I was thinking that in stock they could have in-built science experiments, but with KAS they would act as KAS containers, probably with some purpose built surface-attachable parts, maybe that expand into poly tunnels that can be used for greenhouses or temporary science labs etc. etc. Also some deployable 'streetlamps' similar to the ones ASET made a while back based on Sunshine.

Apparently those models are a rip from the online Endurance 3D model that's been posted previously, so I'm not sure we could use textures without potentially running into copyright issues (I doubt they'd take any action against a mod, but I'd rather we made everything from scratch just for the sake of it) but they could be useful for proportions. Already seen some things to tweak on the Lander (I have the cockpit way too short)

No idea how to open the models either though.

For the cargo containers, I was thinking that in stock they could have in-built science experiments, but with KAS they would act as KAS containers, probably with some purpose built surface-attachable parts, maybe that expand into poly tunnels that can be used for greenhouses or temporary science labs etc. etc. Also some deployable 'streetlamps' similar to the ones ASET made a while back based on Sunshine.

The responsibility would most likely fall into the person who originally ripped/applied and uploaded the textures to begin with, if it is fact a rip from the movie. If they were custom made textures by another user on the SE forums, I don't really think the creator has much say, as it is a replication of something already created by someone else. When it comes to non-profit mods, worst comes to worst the film studio tells the user to take them down. However, for free promotion and little impact I don't really think they'd bother to do so. However I make movies, not laws, so I am not 100% certain.

Can't wait to get my dirty hands on this mod

Edited by Nassault630

The intention is that the ring will be launched into space as one part since assembling all 24 or so ring parts would be more than most people's patience (and computers) could handle.

And also HOLY SPACEBALLS NASSAULT COMMENTED ON MY MOD

And also HOLY SPACEBALLS NASSAULT COMMENTED ON MY MOD

OMG :'D

So the ranger, what is your opinion the the main fuselage? If I keep it in one piece I will have to make it the command module, fuel tank, battery, generator, SAS, Monoprop tank. However If I split it, We end up with more parts.

And if anyone has an account on the Space engine forums, could you do be a big favor and ask the guy who ported the Endurance model from the website for the .obj format??

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/17-1558-1

The Endurance is near the bottom of the first post.

Ported to SpaceEngine by DoctorOfSpace, SHW, and Destructor1701

WebGL conversion by SHW

Single piece model and full texture mapping done by Destructor1701

OBJ conversion, texture and mesh adjustments, and configured for SpaceEngine by DoctorOfSpace

Edited by Shryq

when splitting it up, how would we handle closing the loop? can a single craft dock with two ports at the same time now? also from what i understood if we undock a single module, the ring gets broken, what would be then done with the engine blocks? does anyone know if the endurance is meant to be cannibalized entirely for colony use or does the ring stay intact? simply removing one part limits travel within endurance, remove two on opposite ends and you've got the ship cut in half, there has to be some sort of provision to keep the ring structure with the engines whole no?

when splitting it up, how would we handle closing the loop? can a single craft dock with two ports at the same time now? also from what i understood if we undock a single module, the ring gets broken, what would be then done with the engine blocks? does anyone know if the endurance is meant to be cannibalized entirely for colony use or does the ring stay intact? simply removing one part limits travel within endurance, remove two on opposite ends and you've got the ship cut in half, there has to be some sort of provision to keep the ring structure with the engines whole no?

The idea (in the movie) is that the main ring and crew deck sections stay together while the Landers ferry the supply crates down and the lower sections of the landing modules undock and land under their own power. Basically what would be left is all of the top parts of the modules and the engine pods. The ring stays intact for reuse.

The only problem with this is that the 'forward' vector is going to be pointing either down or up, not forward. It might not be too hard just to code a button into the right-click menu to invert the z and x axis. Ill look into it when I start programming parts.

I'm planning on making the docking port on the Ranger, just so it matches the movie better, I'll have a chance to experiment I'd suppose.

EDIT: Was just thinking that if the idea is to protect the cargo like a heatshield, then using the top docking port as a 'control from here' would most likely be fine.

EDIT2: Almost done with the modeling. Just need to do the docking port, landing legs, and vertical engines. I'm not sure what to do about the texturing, as I'm pretty bad at it. If someone wants to take a crack at it I would be more than happy to let 'em.

This is really some fantastic work! Question: would it be feasible to model the airlock antechamber where Kerbals enter and exit the vehicle, then design an animated hatch that slides out of the way to expose the antechamber (perhaps both an angled hatch and a straight hatch adapter as someone else suggested)? Also - I can't remember - does the hatch swing or slide open in the movie?

Honestly, I have no idea. I know that you can use any IVA with any cockpit if it doesn't have windows, but I'm not sure how windows work at all. My assumption is that the IVA is pretty independent of the model that you stick it in, since the games doesn't render the inside faces of parts anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.