Any more fairing suggestions? Tried Proc, KW, 0 Point, Novapunch.

cantab

Currently looking for a fairing mod I like. I want something that's flexible in terms of the up-down arrangement of my rocket, supporting various inline configurations as well as nose-mounted fairings, but also that offers constraints in width.

15611985040_d6e9cdf08f_o.png

The command module is exposed because really the Kerbals need to be able to see out, but then the service module with all the gubbins is wrapped round in the fairing. And of course the command pod can't fall off the service module when the fairings are decoupled! This turned out to be a good "test case" as not all the mods are able to do it well.

I've tried:

Procedural Fairings. I feel it's too lacking in constraints; even in career mode it will happily go round a 20 m payload.

KW Rocketry. They're OK, but I can't figure out a way to do inline fairings with them, and they do seem to need a lot of parts.

Zero Point. These are pretty good, and under active development, but I'm finding the example above a bit problematic with them.

Novapunch. OK. Similar to KW, a bit clunkier visually but I could do an inline fairing with them.

Just use procedural fairings, and exercise some self restraint - use appropriate fairing base sizes relative to the payload. In other words, don't use a 1.25m fairing base for a 20m diameter payload. Use procedural parts if you want fuel tanks that will match fairing bases larger than 5m.

Buzzou, a fair point. I think this will have to be the way I go, with a "house rule" on fairing width, eg "maximum twice the base width".

LethalDose, maybe I'm missing something but I found that while the base width is limited, the fairing will shape itself round a wide payload.

Obsessed, BIG thanks for that info, I see how those parts are meant to work now. Not quite what I want mind.

For procedural fairings you can lock the shape. For example if you want an inline fairing to be x meters tall simply build it as tall as you need (make sure that there are no radially attached parts) attach your fairing, lock the size, then continue building with that restraint.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.