What OS do you play KSP with  

2,172 members have voted

1. 1. What OS do you play KSP with

Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 15 inch

Mac OSX 10.8

2.6 GHz i7 (Turboboost 3.3GHz)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB GDDR5

8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Does anyone Know of something like Fraps for Mac? Would love to Know what frames per second I'm getting. I have a big construction under way in LKO 400+ parts at the moment, Time warp Gauge is yellow and I'm guessing I am getting between 15 to 20 fps as the game is just starting to jitter (lag).

Lol no way. I've been a Mac use for 20 years, I couldn't switch even if I wanted to. My brain is hard-wired at this point.

I don't even use the newer versions of Mac OS X yet (10.7 Lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion) because they are too different from my classic Mac experience. (ie: they killed PowerPC support, took away Save As function, etc)

I just upgraded from a G5 in Dec and it took a while to get my head around the changes. You can still "save as" on most apps but if the option is not there you use the export option which seems to do the same thing (most of the time). There seems to be a lot of dumbing down at apple these days which I'm not sure I approve of. I've been a Mac user for over 20 yrs as well, there was a time when a PC just couldn't be relied upon to make music.

Sorry derailing thread.

I just upgraded from a G5 in Dec and it took a while to get my head around the changes. You can still "save as" on most apps but if the option is not there you use the export option which seems to do the same thing (most of the time). There seems to be a lot of dumbing down at apple these days which I'm not sure I approve of. I've been a Mac user for over 20 yrs as well, there was a time when a PC just couldn't be relied upon to make music.

Sorry derailing thread.

I will upgrade eventually, I'm just holding out as long as possible. I love Snow Leopard, it was an excellent release of OS X.

My Mid-2011 iMac was the last Mac desktop that was able to boot 10.6, (it shipped about a month before 10.7 came out) and I'm stubbornly holding onto my original install.

We're getting to a tipping point where more and more Mac apps and games now require at least 10.7. Maybe I'll be able to finally let my old PowerPC games go at some point and learn to live with the rest of the changes - we'll see how Mavericks turns out.

Edited by segaprophet

Does anyone Know of something like Fraps for Mac? Would love to Know what frames per second I'm getting. I have a big construction under way in LKO 400+ parts at the moment, Time warp Gauge is yellow and I'm guessing I am getting between 15 to 20 fps as the game is just starting to jitter (lag).

Sort of. There's a program from Apple called Quartz Debug, which includes an FPS meter. It's a development tool for working with graphics, though, and you need a (free) developer account to get it, so it might be a bit overkill. But you can find it at https://developer.apple.com/downloads/

Sort of. There's a program from Apple called Quartz Debug, which includes an FPS meter. It's a development tool for working with graphics, though, and you need a (free) developer account to get it, so it might be a bit overkill. But you can find it at https://developer.apple.com/downloads/

I think that's more like what I'm looking for thank you

I'm upgrading my pc, just purchased all the parts today. Will be a week or so before i get it all. I did not upgrade though for this game, main reason is i want to start streaming and my current computer just can't handle it at a decent resolution!

new comp will be an

windows 8

I7-4770

16 gigs 1600 ddr3 ram

256ssd + 2TB HD

2gb ddr5 nvidia GTX 670 (i don't play high graphically intensive games so good enough for me)

Can't wait for the new system been about 5 years since i last upgraded!

Edited by SleepyWacKo

Wait a minute!!!!!!! This thread is from 2012!!!

Seems like something timeless to talk about to me, I didn't even notice.

I'm on windows eight, i7 core, 8gb ram, Geforce GT 640M. Got it to use autocad without stutter, and it does a great job of running KSP.

Wait a minute!!!!!!! This thread is from 2012!!!

You know how you can tell a thread is old? When the first posts have "\" in front of apostrophes throughout. That happens because somebody didn't perform the database import correctly, so any apostrophes were prefixed with "\" (called "escaping") to keep the punctuation from looking like a "beginning/end of field" marker (which is the standard for SQL).

So if you see somebody\'s post that\'s filled filled with slashes before the apostrophes, you\'re looking at a post that was placed at some point before the Great Forum Kraken Disaster, at the very latest. :)

Seems like something timeless to talk about to me, I didn't even notice.

Yeah, I don't really see what the problem with necroing threads is, as long as the subject is still relevant. In some forums the culture is "Don't post in old threads, start a new thread!" In others, it's "Don't start a new thread, search for an old one!" It seems completely arbitrary.

On-topic, I mostly run KSP on my mid-2011 15' MacBook Pro. I've also got an 11' Air from the same year, which actually runs it reasonably well. It can't handle ay fancy graphics, of course, but it's fine for when you're travelling.

Yeah, I don't really see what the problem with necroing threads is, as long as the subject is still relevant. In some forums the culture is "Don't post in old threads, start a new thread!" In others, it's "Don't start a new thread, search for an old one!" It seems completely arbitrary.

On-topic, I mostly run KSP on my mid-2011 15' MacBook Pro. I've also got an 11' Air from the same year, which actually runs it reasonably well. It can't handle ay fancy graphics, of course, but it's fine for when you're travelling.

If the forum admins were really serious about the necro-thread thing, they'd set it up to auto-close threads without a new post in 30 days. As it is, I can go back and find threads from waaaay back and still be able to post on them.

It's not too hard to figure out, really. Google indexes the contents of the forums, users are likely to land on an old thread when looking for information, and if it's relevant to what they're after, they'll just post on it.

Thing is, a lot of readers don't even bother to go through the existing contents. They'll see the topic and just add "Yeah me too", or basically re-ask the same question that's in the topic in the first place, even if the answer has already been provided. You want to stop reviving old and supposedly dead posts? Lock em automatically when they haven't seen any new posts after 30 days. Plain and simple.

Windows 8 x64 core [email protected] 8gb ram and 1gb graphics card.

I really do not see why people hate windows 8. Its great, just not on desktops, fine for a laptop with mouse gestures imo.

You just called out exactly why it's hated. It's obviously meant for use as on a touch-based system. How many businesses are using touch screens in their employee offices? I have six screens because my system does a lot of things (usually at once). Care to guess how cumbersome the system is to just work on things when I can't just move windows around?

Win8 is awesome for phones and tablets, but MS is trying to leapfrog ahead and shove their assumptions (that tablets are the future) down everybody's throat. Too bad they were obviously banking heavily on their phones and Surface devices taking the market by storm.

Apparently they thought that Apple's marketing plan of leaving their bread and butter clients in the dust was a good one, and changed gears to match it. Apple alienates its pro graphics, animation and sound developers, and MS gives the big middle finger to businesses that came to rely on their core product.

THAT'S why people hate it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.