Jurassic World!!

Ikaneko

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
As a a meme once told me you do not simply reboot a dead franchise.

Or possibly a dead thread. :)

Just saw Jurassic World. Way better than I was expecting. The good bits are *really* good - enough to help move past the cardboard and cliches elsewhere. It also hangs together pretty well as a film, rather than a series of set pieces, which I remember being a problem with the original Jurassic Park.

At its heart I thought it was also a rather sad film.

We're talking about a safari park where you can ride giant hamster balls amongst iconic dinosaurs, or visit the petting zoo and get really close to them. So what's the biggest and most popular attraction? A giant crocodile eating a shark. What's wrong with that picture.

I went to see it on Friday with a friend. I didn't really know what to expect going in, but we both came out of the cinema having really enjoyed it. It's got the right balance of story, fun, and Mesozoic-style bloodbaths, even despite you being able to see some things coming from a mile off.

I heartily recommend it.

I still can't get over how painfully generic the hybrid dinosaur is. It's like be a bad T. rex reconstruction from the 70s.

Hmm, actually that was one of the more subtle parts, I thought.

The jaws and general head-shape - when it was roaring - were pretty similar to that of the raptors. I didn't pick up on this until that last plot twist, at which point it was obvious in retrospect.

I still can't get over how painfully generic the hybrid dinosaur is. It's like be a bad T. rex reconstruction from the 70s.

I thought it was based in the Gigantosaurus.

I don't mean what it's supposed to be in-universe, more that it was billed to be this freakish attraction and it's actually just a big theropod with relatively long arms. There's plenty of actual dinosaurs that could've been dropped in with far more interesting anatomy (Deinocherus, actual Spinosaurus, Saurophaganax, any abelisaurid), but that would've required acknowledging paleontology has moved on since 1993.

well at least they dont have the stupid "no guns" stance like they did in the first movie

I seem to remember an arms locker full of shotguns.

A little bit of genetic modding, a little bit of selective breeding, a little bit of analyzing their behavior to see what gets acceptance in a pack, a little bit of other stuff and raw animal charisma... ;D

As long as Raptors don't think like some modern pack animals. Taking control of a wolf pack would involve beating the tar out of the incumbent alpha. And considering the Raptors from JP1 had an alpha who killed 5 of the original 8, just to prove her point... yeah. Have fun assimilating into that culture.

Oh dear. Don't tell me the "active camouflage" dino from the Lost World novel got the shaft a THIRD time.

Edit: Nevermind. I just saw the comment containing "cuttlefish."

Edited by vger

but of course! it makes total sense to mix DNA of a mollusc with dinosaur's

Seriously, do you think Monsanto wouldn't mix apples with squid DNA, if they thought they could make a glow-in-the-dark fruit?

Edited by vger

I saw it on Friday (in IMAX 3D, no less) and I thought they did a very good job. Pratt and Howard played the roles well, and the plot kept you on the edge of your seat.

Most of the internet was calling the T. Rex/I. Rex fight, but the Mosasaur at the end was a good twist.

My only real criticism of the movie is this: That chopper should have gunned down the Rex easily. It looked like the gunner didn't even hit it once.

Just saw it, and thought it was great. I was disappointed by the overuse of CGI, but they did still manage to achieve an overwhelming sense of scale that you don't really get in the previous movies. I honestly would have a hard time listing all the things I liked about it, so instead I'll just point out something interesting I noticed about the effects. I've often heard it said that if a movie uses CG sparingly enough, you won't even notice it when it is used. Here, it's kind of the opposite. It leans so heavily on CG that there were many times where I assumed an effect was CG, only to later find out it was practical.

I'll say it again: They used so much CG that I couldn't tell that some objects were actually there.

Edit: Nah, I'm totally gonna try to list all the things I liked about it.

1. Its sense of self-awareness. It seems to address all the criticisms people had from the trailer and of the concept in general. There's a scene where Dr. Wu explains why some of the dinosaurs aren't scientifically accurate (that is, they're deliberately meant to cater to expectations), and maybe it's just me, but I felt like this was also addressing the CG look. Especially the line, "None of this is natural."

2. Chris Pratt's character's "control" of the raptors. People thought it would lead to them being less scary, but if anything, it was the opposite. This movie goes out of its way to show how barely in control he is, and that they'll never really be tamed.

3. The military guy that wants to weaponize the raptors. Firstly, because he gives us an awesome shot of what I can only describe as spec-ops velociraptors. Secondly, because of his hilarious failure to learn from his mistakes that seems over the top even for THIS series. Maybe he's a scout for an early Weyland-Yutani?

4. The abandoned old park. As a fan of urban exploring and nostalgia, this was incredible.

5. The sense of wonder, though not as pronounced as in the original, is still mostly intact.

6. The action scenes are pretty much the most awesome thing I've ever seen and screw any paleontologist that tries to tell me otherwise.

Edited by Dizzle

Okay, a few days ago I saw this thing in 3D. Certainly the best JP movie so far, and in my top 3 of all movies ever. Only question is, what will the next film's big scary thing be? I personally think we don't need a new mega-Godzilla-kaiju-saurus rex for a while, since we still have so much to see with what we already have. For comparison, JP2 did perfectly fine without a new mega dinosaur. And I still really really really want to see a Spinosaurus VS I-rex fight, if they make a second film, as well as more of the trained raptors and Mosasaurus.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.