How to play KSP in Full 3D

Hi all.

I recently discovered away to play KSP in 3D, and thought i would share my findings.

What you need is a 3D TV and a computer with an HDMI port.

Plug you computer into your TV and then download this software ( the trial version) http://www.tridef.com/

With the trial version you get 14 days free.

Start TRiDef 3D Ignition, add a game, select KSP, and there you go.

Ensure you run KSP in full screen mode though, and that your output is set to side by side.

Another thing you can try that doesn't require a 3D TV, glasses, or external software is mounting two cameras on the outside of your command pod, each angled slightly apart. Use the IVA view, look down in a cockpit with dual monitors and set each one to one of the cameras. Then, cross your eyes until the images merge. It's tricky to get the cameras to angle properly, but it should work. You of course also need the mods required to have external camera feeds inside the cockpit. Sorry, I don't remember what they were called. I'm also not trying to hijack your thread, just felt like this would be a good place to share this little trick.

Hi there thanks for your reply..

Wouldn't crossing your eyes hurt after a bit?

I also have an Oculus rift, I did some trials and the effect was not as good as using a TV. In fact I felt like throwing up after a short time.

Yeah, the depth is fairly easy to fix, though the convergence controls seem unresponsive within KSP. What I'd also like to do is set the zero parallax plane closer to the vehicle.

By far the most annoying feature is that their anaglyph colour correction gives everything an orange tint, meaning the left eye sees black as grey while the right eye sees it as black. That is the opposite of what anaglyph colour correction is trying to achieve. It's that kind of silliness that gives 3D a reputation for inducing headaches. Maybe I need to have a word with NVIDIA.

Edit: Convergence fixed, obligatory wing coming right at you.

Vy8STmd.png
Edited by Lunniy Korabl

With much googling, it looks like the bad anaglyph colour correction can't be corrected without messing around in regedit every time the game is run. Also need to brighten up night scenes, because there's nothing like cutting out half the light to each eye when night time in KSP is so dim to begin with.

Might have to invest in some shutter glasses, because

GyXB4Rj.png

• 5 months later...

Oh goody, I get to resurrect an old thread!

Has anyone solved the depth problem for using KSP with TriDef? I can't find any profiles and just directly wiring it up gives me bad depth issues where the ground and distant objects are portrayed as being closer than the vessel due to the layered scaled rendering approach the game uses.

• 1 year later...
On 5/19/2015 at 8:11 PM, jrandom said:

Oh goody, I get to resurrect an old thread!

Has anyone solved the depth problem for using KSP with TriDef? I can't find any profiles and just directly wiring it up gives me bad depth issues where the ground and distant objects are portrayed as being closer than the vessel due to the layered scaled rendering approach the game uses.

I google this every once in awhile to see if anyone's figured this out, but no one's been able to solve the depth issue that results from KSP's scaled-space approach.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.