3D Mouse (3Dconnexion) unusable in contruction (32 and 64 bit) in .90

I use a 3Dconnexion Space Navigator mouse with KSP. It was also officially supported with the start of KSP .23

The problem I have though is in the contruction buildings. At first the camera is centered to the middle of the VAB (which is normal). If I build my rocket without touching the 3D mouse everything is fine. Though as soon as I used the 3D mouse to rotate or move the camera I am unable to place any parts anymore. When I select a part from the part list it instantly plops into the VAB an I am unable to select it or move it. Thus making it impossible to build anything. I can only place parts for as long as I don't touch the 3D mouse. Once I do I can't place any parts at all anymore, even if the recenter the camera using the noramal mouse controls. After that I have to either reload the ship I'm building or leave the VAB. But I can still not select any parts that where placed into the VAB while I was using the 3D mouse. I can however still select free floating parts that had been placed into the VAB from before I used the 3D mouse. All these parts are just free floating. They are not connected to any spacecraft. They also vanish if I reload the ship or exit the VAB (which is normal). I can still select parts that are part of my rocket. As long as I built the rocket without touching the 3D mouse.

This is 100% repeatable on both 32 and 64bit windows version of KSP.

Edited by T.Lancer

I have a 3Dconnexion space pilot as well, but I'm on a Mac. It works great for programs like Blender and other 3d apps.

I understand there's a workaround where a 3rd party app makes KSP thinks it's a joystick.. but why shouldn't it work natively like is does in Windows KSP? Have we been forgotten?

There seems to be a "workaround" for this issue, albeit not that elegant ...

Once the part has been put in the assembly hall (after you click it), temporarily going to "offset" (i.e. 2) , click part with normal mouse, it becomes available again for the rest of the construction.

But indeed, would be good to have this resolved, it seems a "simple" bug.

Oh so that's why this keeps happening to me. I keep forgetting KSP supports them. I usually leave mine unplugged but have been using it for work lately; thought this was a randomly occurring bug but I must've been accidentally nudging the puck....

I can confirm the above workaround but for now it's easier to just turn the controller off as you must repeat the procedure with each new part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.