KSP 0.90 Beta than Ever FPS Performance

I was hoping for an increase in performance with the new version. Or at least the same performance. I was totally wrong. I am seeing an average drop of 25% in FPS across all scenes with a stock 0.90 install compared to 0.25 using identical craft. Frames are worse within viewing distance of KSC or when looking at an angle towards outside from withing the hangars. What is everyone else's FPS experience with the new version?

I was hoping for an increase in performance with the new version. Or at least the same performance. I was totally wrong. I am seeing an average drop of 25% in FPS across all scenes with a stock 0.90 install compared to 0.25 using identical craft. Frames are worse within viewing distance of KSC or when looking at an angle towards outside from withing the hangars. What is everyone else's FPS experience with the new version?

I am going to ask the obvious troubleshooting questions.

-Are you running any mods?

-Are you running the exact same settings as the previous version?

-What does your Output.log look like? Are there any errors?

-What is your system specs?

-Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Unusually, mine seems to be one helluva lot smoother than 0.25, even with the veritable s***-tonne of mods I've got installed. The last time that I got a performance boost was 0.21 or 0.22, and I must say, it's pretty nice. Slight stutter every few frames, but nothing serious. I suspect higher part counts will still be problematic, though I've yet to put that to the test.

I am going to ask the obvious troubleshooting questions.

-Are you running any mods?

-Are you running the exact same settings as the previous version?

-What does your Output.log look like? Are there any errors?

-What is your system specs?

-Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Stock install as it says in the OP. No mods, same settings. Specs should not matter. I am comparing performance between 2 version of KSP, not 2 different hardware configurations, but here they are.

- Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140706-1506)

- Processor: Intel Core i7-2720m CPU @ 2.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

- Memory: 16 GB RAM

- Graphics: NVidia GTX 555m - 3 GB RAM (Drivers: Latest 344.75

Nothing unusual in the logs.

I run multiple copies of KSP for access to various mods. To rule out any issue with my final comparison, I did a fresh install of 0.25 and 0.90 in different folders with zero mods and let each generate default config files. Opened config files and aside from a few new keybinds and 1 new graphic setting everything is identical by default. I tried running in OpenGL, DX9 and DX11 and all have the same results. Tried 32bit and 64bit. Conclusion: KSP 0.90 runs ~25% slower than 0.25 in all scenes.

Edited by hazens1

I can confirm the FPS drops. It depends on what angle you are facing and your zoom but zoomed in close in the VAB can give you 60fps, zooming out slightly reduces this to 45fps. The same happens in flight. This was not an issue in 0.25. Also at the space center standard zoom fps drop to 40-45 over the 60fps in 0.25

Hi there ,

I've been running ksp on a Hptouchsmart since my desktop broke ( liquid spilling ).

With a Intel Duo1.2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, and a 512mbATImobHD5450 GPU it's as awfull as expected. With Atm scalling everything at 1/8, 0.25 was runnable and playable with craft under a hundred parts.

With the 0.90 version, I don't know whats happening, but even with 2gb of gamedata, 1/2 scalling, graphics setting at default, I get double fps than before, without sacrificing 7/8 of the textures !!!! It really feel like I'm playing the game on my desktop.

• 1 month later...

I second -or fifth, actually :P - the FPS drop. The KSC seems to cause the greatest struggle in the graphics cosole -though the errain generally sems to need more energy too- , and moving the camera to look at the vehicle and skybox has a solid 65 FPS. No mods installed, I did use ATM or 0.25. That's prety odd with it, actually, as the x64 bit version of ATM doesn't work with my 32 KSP -which may sound reasonable, but it did work with 0.25 x32 bit KSP! :confused:

I second -or fifth, actually :P - the FPS drop. The KSC seems to cause the greatest struggle in the graphics cosole -though the errain generally sems to need more energy too- , and moving the camera to look at the vehicle and skybox has a solid 65 FPS. No mods installed, I did use ATM or 0.25. That's prety odd with it, actually, as the x64 bit version of ATM doesn't work with my 32 KSP -which may sound reasonable, but it did work with 0.25 x32 bit KSP! :confused:

The latest post to this was last year. Is this allowed?

Oddly enough, I even remember this thread.

Antialiasing was turned on for OpenGL users in this latest release. This might be your issue. Try turning down your antialiasing setting.

I don't know about that. Source? I just tried opengl on .90 last night and I could not get any AA out of the Nvidia Control panel. Atleast not that I could notice.

How do you force AA with opengl by the way? What I'm doing is selecting the opengl shortcut I made which then takes the settings I have configured for the regular KSP.exe. 16xQ ( I figure just go to the highest settings for some differences )

Or is there a specific type of AA I need to use?

The latest post to this was last year. Is this allowed?

Oddly enough, I even remember this thread.

Yeah, it's all good. Rules of necroing are that it has to add some content, which the post in question did.

Though, your post did not. :wink:

I haven't noticed any framerate drops myself. But I did get a better computer in between 0.25 and 0.90.0. I'm biased. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.