How can I access values given in Mission Recovery Dialog when a vessel is recovered?

I've been messing around in a little cs project of mine and I want to be able to access and store the values (funds, rep and science) that are given when in the mission recovery dialog after you recover a vessel. Seems fairly straightforward, problem is I'm getting "An object reference is required for the non-static field, method, or property 'MissionRecoveryDialog.fundsEarned'". I'm also getting this error for the same lines I have written for reputation and science.

My code looks like this:

float fundsToStore = MissionRecoveryDialog.fundsEarned;
float repToStore = MissionRecoveryDialog.reputationEarned;
float sciToStore = MissionRecoveryDialog.scienceEarned;

I've attempted to troubleshoot the problem by moving the float declarations in several different parts of my file, and attempted to use static and non-static functions (could potentially be an issue according to threads I've read from stackoverflow, however because I can't alter those files directly I cannot do anything about it).

If it helps when troubleshooting, the code-assist writer (the menu that pops up with matching text when you type) does not show any variable names under MissionRecoveryDialog.

Sorry if it's a little ambiguous and if it's an obvious issue but I'm new to C# and modding in general. Thanks.

"An object reference is required for the non-static field, method, or property 'MissionRecoveryDialog.fundsEarned'

I can't help you with the Mission Recovery Dialog directly, but this is a common generic programming mistake. You need an instance of the object, but you are trying to use the static definition instead. Hmm.. how can I explain it. Really best thing is Google Instance versus Class.

A Class defines the template for an object, an instance of that class is the working live data formed from that template. You are trying to access DATA on a DEFINITION but the data doesn't exist. You need an instance of it.

A Class defines the template for an object, an instance of that class is the working live data formed from that template. You are trying to access DATA on a DEFINITION but the data doesn't exist. You need an instance of it.

I think I get what you mean. So theoretically I could have my code look something like this (could I instead use an event listener to wait for the value to change?)

public void FixedUpdate()
{
if (fundsToStore == null)
{
fundsToStore = 0; //so it creates a real value that can be altered later
}
else
{
fundsToStore = MissionRecoveryDialog.fundsEarned; //it changes the value to what the game's output for this variable is
}
}

I think I get what you mean. So theoretically I could have my code look something like this (could I instead use an event listener to wait for the value to change?)

public void FixedUpdate()
{
if (fundsToStore == null)
{
fundsToStore = 0; //so it creates a real value that can be altered later
}
else
{
fundsToStore = MissionRecoveryDialog.fundsEarned; //it changes the value to what the game's output for this variable is
}
}

This code is no different than the previous. You are still accessing the static class, not an instance.

MissionRecoveryDialog is a class. MissionRecoveryDialog dialog = new MissionRecoveryDialog() is an instance. But you dont' want just any instance of it you want *the* instance of it. As Blizzy says above, the game creates a new instance each time the dialog is displayed so you would need to find a way to get a hold of *that* instance.

There's a GameEvent that gets fired when the dialog appears:

class YourAddon : MonoBehaviour
{
private void Start()
{
GameEvents.onVesselRecoveryProcessing.Add(RecoveryProcessingCallback);
}

private void OnDestroy()
{
GameEvents.onVesselRecoveryProcessing.Remove(RecoveryProcessingCallback);
}

void RecoveryProcessingCallback(ProtoVessel pv, MissionRecoveryDialog dlg, float recovery)
{
// access dlg here
}
}

onVesselRecoveryProcessing fires before the dialog appears.

onVesselRecovered fires after the dialog appears and its values have been calculated. I think it also passes a reference to the MissionRecoveryDialog object.

Edit: Or not. onVesselRecovered only passes the ProtoVessel reference, so I guess you have to use onVesselRecoveryProcessing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.