QZ 8510 has lost contact at 07:24 hrs

piggysanTH

I just saw news in local channel. They say it lost in flight over Java sea Near Belitung Island.

161 people on this flight. 155 passenger:149 Indonesians, 3 Koreans and 1 passenger each from the United Kingdom, Malaysia and Singapore. The plane was reported to have taken an unusual route.

Let's prey for them. Wish them safe.

Edit: If you think someone of your family is on this flight.Contact is number +622129850801

Edited by piggysanTH

Mmh, other news channels speaks about AirAsia flight QZ8501

Contact seems to have been lost at 07h24 local time (it was due to arrive at 08h30 local time)

The pilot requested ATC for a change of course and climbing to 38000 feets to avoid the bad weather.

The plane is an airbus A320-200

Statement made about 155 passengers on board, + 2 pilots and 5 cabin crew

1 Singapore

1 Malaysia

1 France

3 South Korean

156 Indonesia

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2014/12/breaking-air-asia-a320-missing-indonesian-airspace/

Edit : nationalities numbers update

Edited by sgt_flyer

Anyone read the "Destroyermen" series? General area is right, weather conditions are right...i wonder if the last thing crew and passengers seen was not an ominous, unnatural green squall?

On a more serious note...it's going to be tragedy i'm afraid :( With SAR activities postponed due to approaching night, there is not much hope anyone will be found alive tomorrow...if ever.

I don't think they'll have a problem finding this one, so not the same thing at all.

"The plane has lost contact at 06:17 a.m. local time," the Indonesian Transportation Ministry's acting director general for air transportation affairs, Djoko Murdjatmojo, said. The aircraft disappeared from radar observations at 6:18 a.m., he said, and air traffic control officers monitored the presence of the plane until 7:55 a.m.
-CNN

I wonder exactly what he means by "monitored the presence". If this means that the transponder was still functioning an hour and a half after it went down, this could be good news.

-Slashy

Well, I surely hope we will have some kind of evidences for whatever this time. It is scary when we don't know what happened.

The fact that we do not know what happened to flight 370 means we know quite a bit. Something must have happened far from civilization, probably meaning in the middle of the ocean, because otherwise wreckage or de disaster itself would have been spotter. With the amount of fuel on board and the fact that these kinds of aircraft are not boats, we can be pretty sure those people died the same day. Sad? Yes, very, it is a tragedy. Scary? Not really.

It sure was an unlucky year for airplanes. Damn

Nope. One of the safest years ever. Do not let a couple of high profile incidents fool you. You are a lot more likely to die at home (accidents, acute health issues or violence) and many, many more times likely to die in a car accident. That is a couple of orders of magnitude more likely.

Edited by Camacha

Something must have happened

I find it scary that we do not know what that "something" is. I am not saying I am scared of the supernatural or aliens or Illuminati, or whatever theories people are throwing around on the internet, but I am scared about being unable to find the truth, to have our knowledge lost, buried under misinformation. What has happened? Why did it happen? How can we prevent such a thing? I find myself afraid we will only have people screaming around and never get to an end where we finally know what has happen, and tragedies may happen again.

What has happened? Why did it happen? How can we prevent such a thing? I find myself afraid we will only have people screaming around and never get to an end where we finally know what has happen, and tragedies may happen again.

The best and most sane course of action is to accept that things happen, and will happen again. Numerous aircraft accidents have happened, while another earlier accident happened in the same way for the same reasons. We could have prevented it, but for various reasons, did not. It is just part of life, and sadly, part of death.

I find it scary that we do not know what that "something" is.

A catastrophic accident, the rest is pretty much a matter of detail.

Nope. One of the safest years ever. Do not let a couple of high profile incidents fool you. You are a lot more likely to die at home (accidents, acute health issues or violence) and many, many more times likely to die in a car accident. That is a couple of orders of magnitude more likely.

Really? I don't recal hearing off any plane crashes in recent years except that. Must be that plane getting shot down that draws all the attention to the other plane related stuf.

And yea I know it's still the safest way of travel. Just didn't know that it was relative to flying also the safest this year

And yea I know it's still the safest way of travel. Just didn't know that it was relative to flying also the safest this year

2014 has been the year with the least amount of accidents since WW2. Of course there is a distinction between the number of accidents and the number of victims, with victim count actually being on the high side this year (but still part of a ever dwindling trend). Experts agree that safety is primarily indicated by aircraft accident count and that means 2014 was actually a really good year when it comes to aviation safety. Though the victims and families might disagree, because a life is still a life.

Accident statistics.

Edited by Camacha

Really? I don't recal hearing off any plane crashes in recent years except that. Must be that plane getting shot down that draws all the attention to the other plane related stuf.

That's because the media doesn't cover most of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Aviation_accidents_and_incidents_in_2014

Look at the same page for 2013 and 2011, and you'll see that 2014 had less crashes.

That may be true, but the three most lethal incidents in 2013 killed 50, 49, and 33 people. For this year, assuming, as is unfortunately probably the case, that there aren't survivors from this flight, the same figures are 283, 239, and 162. We've had two airliner incidents this year that alone killed more people than all airliner incidents last year put together.

That may be true, but the three most lethal incidents in 2013 killed 50, 49, and 33 people. For this year, assuming, as is unfortunately probably the case, that there aren't survivors from this flight, the same figures are 283, 239, and 162. We've had two airliner incidents this year that alone killed more people than all airliner incidents last year put together.

Deaths are not considered the defining variable when if comes to aviation safety by experts.

Then again, 2013 was an exceptionally good year when it came to (the lack of) deaths. Fourth lowest since WW2, comparing to that skews perception a bit too. But whichever way you want to turn it, aircraft safety has been really pretty good the past years. Incidents and deaths are significantly and structurally lower than even 15 years ago. Flying is safe, even compared to flying. I hope not to offend anyone by discussing the subject like this in this thread, but people need to be aware that what they are doing right now is statistically more dangerous than flying. Do not let a couple of high profile crashes convince you otherwise.

Edited by Camacha

Deaths are not considered the defining variable when if comes to aviation safety by experts.

I am not buying that. to be a little over the top, this would be like saying that four crashed paragliders with the worst injury being a broken leg are worse than MH370, MH17, QZ8510 put together.

Edited by MBobrik

I am not buying that. to be a little over the top, this would be like saying that four crashed paragliders with the worst injury being a broken leg are worse than MH370, MH17, QZ8510 put together.

At the top of the list of numbers I posted it says that only aircraft with more than 13 passengers are counted :) This is to eliminate local traffic and aviation, as those operate on different principles, by different standards and are operated by different people. Really, these experts are that for a reason, they know what they are doing and set these kinds of limitations and guidelines for good reason.

I assume the focus on accidents rather than the deaths those accidents cause is because each incident is a separate fatal breach of safety, while deaths are totally dependent on how many souls happen to be on board.

Edited by Camacha

I don't think they'll have a problem finding this one, so not the same thing at all.

-CNN

I wonder exactly what he means by "monitored the presence". If this means that the transponder was still functioning an hour and a half after it went down, this could be good news.

-Slashy

It could also be mistranslated. The other possible meaning is "We monitored for the presence of the plane until 7:55 AM, but it did not reappear."

I'm hoping they got the word out to authorities before 7:55 if that interpretation is what happened. I'm guessing that they knew something was very wrong long before 7:55.

Well, the previous storm-caused (least are, storm induced) airplane crash in Indonesia took a long time to be discovered... Y'know, islands and seas and peoples...

Regarding why does the ATC didn't report it immediately : often they waited to see whether is it truly lost or not. Could've been a short electrical down, but then it doesn't appear again...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.