Input throttle as percentage

midnitemax

Hey everybody,

I have a question regarding a project I am about to undertake. I'm trying to build a alternative input device for KSP, basically a keyboard of sorts specifically designed for KSP. For instance I want to use switches to activate action groups (and a shielded switch for the abort action group :D) and fun .... like that. I have ordered some parts to play around first as I have some expierence in electronics and programing but have to figure out how exactly I have to go about this first, so I'm still very much in the preliminary stages of the whole project. Yet I have already encounterd a problem I wont be able to solve on my own: in my eyes the whole thing would be pointless if I wouldn't use a sliding potentiometer for throttle control (actually I want to use a motorized fader as they are used in sound boards so I can still use other inputs as well to control the throttle (at this point I would like to request a drooling kerbal smiley for the forum :))). Using the Teensy as a controller the intepretation of the signal from the potentiometer shouldn't be a problem but I don't know how I can use that value for the throttle. So far I haven't found out if the game can use controls for the throttle other than shift, control, x and z. Is that really all or am I missing something? If not, does anyone have an idea how this can be achieved?

Thanks in advance.

midnitemax

I'm 90% sure that the throttle on a joystick can be used, so your sliding potentiometer should work if you map it to the throttle axis.

Edit: Just checked and it is there. Go to settings, input, staging ui, and the second to last option on the right panel will be throttle axis.

Edit 2: This thread might help: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66763-Custom-hardware-simpit-repository-For-people-who-take-KSP-a-little-too-far It is a thread full of people who built custom controllers for KSP and many have their own threads showing how they built them. This would be a good place to go ask questions or PM a couple of the posters.

Edited by Redjoker

Since I have also have been thinking about building one, I kept looking at the thread and this mod appears to be the best way to do the software side of custom controllers if you are using an arduino. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66393-Hardware-Plugin-Arduino-based-physical-display-serial-port-io-tutorial-%2817-Dec%29

Oh wow, there's a lot of discussion going on in that department. Since I basically have no experience in using something like microcontrollers I haven't ever heard of Arduino and never found that thread :-p While looking around how I can do this I found about the Teensy (https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/) which is what I'll be using. It seems to be mostly compatible with software written for Arduino, so that is propably really helpful.

Mainly this project is meant as an access to a new hobby, since I wanted to learn about all that stuff but I'm definitely starting at the beginning :-)

• 1 month later...

Redjoker is 100% correct. If you program your Teensy to act like a standard joystick with the fader as a throttle, KSP will have no problem with it.

Since I have also have been thinking about building one, I kept looking at the thread and this mod appears to be the best way to do the software side of custom controllers if you are using an arduino. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66393-Hardware-Plugin-Arduino-based-physical-display-serial-port-io-tutorial-%2817-Dec%29

This plugin is unnecessary if all you want it a new input device, but if you want to get clever with your controls, like using toggle switches or even getting data from KSP and presenting it on a display built into the controller, then the hardware plugin is perfect.

Please update us on your progress. There are a lot of us working on dedicated control devices.

Teensy will work fine as a joystick, but if you want to use my serial plugin you need to use an 8 bit micro. Since the teensy is 32 bit there are some issues with byte stuffing. There are ways around it but I have not test it yet. There's no reason you can't use both a teensy and am arduino leo at the same time though.

Edit: Also if you are new to micros the teensy will have a steeper learning curve.

Edited by zitronen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.