Jeb's First SSTO

I've seen challenges about lightest or cheapest SSTO this is a challenge about the first (lowest tech).

Starting a new Career game whats the smallest amount of science point do you need to spend to make a SSTO craft for Jeb to fly.

Start a custom career game and give your self all the starting science and money you need.

The person who spends the least science points wins. There is a penalty if you need upgrade buildings.

+200 science for upgrading Vehicle Assembly Building

+85 science for upgrading Launch pad

+200 science for upgrading Space Plane Hangar

+85 science for upgrading Runway

+500 Research and Development building

The craft must take off and get Jeb into orbit and then return him (alive) to or near to the KSC.

Score SSTO

Edit: Never mind seems that to easy. (Dam that LV-T30 Liquid Fuel Engine is over powered) Second part of the challenge is still here if people want to give it a go.

Of course Jeb is not happy with just orbit, The next contract you get in Career mode is got visit Mun. So as a second challenge can you make a low tech SSTO that can carry Jeb with a Mun capable lander. The craft must reach orbit (it can can go farther if you think it will help with the mun mission) before detaching Jeb and his lander. The SSTO craft must then return to the KSP and land in one piece. Jeb and his lander them must go one and complete the mun contract and return to Kerbin landing in one piece. (Single stage to Mun and back will also count but I'm guessing that will be harder.)

Score SSTO with Mun lander.

Proof:

Screen shot of the the tech tree showing what you unlocked.

Screen shot of in the VAB or Hangar with your craft and the info tab open.

Screen shot of the craft in orbit

Screen shot of the craft back on the ground.

Info about the launch profile. (how do you fly this craft to get it into orbit)

Optional:

The craft file.

Edited by ttnarg

all these "challenges" that don't have any challenge in them.... You can also land on the mun with tier 0.

and that engine is in no way overpowered, you don't even know which parts are overpowered and you think you can open up a challenge?

Edited by chengong

all these "challenges" that don't have any challenge in them.... You can also land on the mun with tier 0.

and that engine is in no way overpowered, you don't even know which parts are overpowered and you think you can open up a challenge?

The challenge as it stands now is to lift a Mun capable lander to orbit with a SSTO craft. I dont think that can be done at tier 0. I'll rewite the challange tomorrow to make this clearer. But basicly what I'm asking for is a 2 stage craft that can do Mun and back with the first stage making atlest orbit and returning to the KSP.

dude, an SSTO doesnt have to be a spaceplane. I made a lightest SSTO thread, and people make them with the bare minimum... you dont need much

I think your the first one to mention Spaceplanes in this thead. You'll note the point system has the same point for both the Launch pad and Runway because I didnt want to limit people options but I'm quite sure a rocket is the way to go in this. I dont think it's do able do it with out unlocking the basic jet engine but then I didnt think you could make orbit with Tier 0 till SRV Ron told me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.