KSP Freezes A Few Seconds After Going into VAB

Hi folks,

I'm new to Linux but decided to try it with hopes of using KSP 64bit to run more mods without crashing. Using Ubuntu 14.10, I followed the great installation guide posted by Sal Vager.

Unmodded, the game ran fine using both open source and proprietary AMD drivers.

After installing mods using CKAN, I start the game (everything loads up very quickly), go into VAB, and usually, as soon as I get the first part out (for example MK1 cockpit), the game freezes. Music still playing, no keyboard control, and sometimes mouse still usable, but I cannot go back to the desktop environment to kill the KSP process - so I'm forced to reset the computer. Uninstalling the part heavy mods doesn't seem to change anything.

I tried uninstalling mods thinking it was a memory problem (I have 8GB). System Monitor crashes as soon as KSP starts, so I used the TOP command to track memory. Right up until the point KSP freezes, only ~3.1GB RAM used by KSP, and CPU is running at 101.4% somehow.

I am including the KSP.log fileand player.log file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4gbbRcUMvBacDdFZ1RGOGdpdEk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4gbbRcUMvBaVU43dEc4Q0hrSm8/view?usp=sharing

I apologize if someone has already answered this - I looked everywhere on the forums without luck.

Thank you very much for your help everyone!

Edited by AirComrade
Added player.log file link

Hi,

sorry for bothering, but if, as i understood, the game runs unmodded but fails with "more mods" then please let me suggest to first exclude possible problems with mods. How about installing the mods one by one, using a new savefile for each try and see wether you can identify a single mod responsible for the problems. Maybe you can find the solution then in that addons thread ?

But in the long term you will probably want to use the proprietary drivers as proposed (stability, performance) ... pls, read the installation guide provided ba amd on the website ....

Hope you get it solved

K.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.