Argon + Xenon ISRU for Near future propulsion.

SmashBrown

Shoot, that was from an outdated version. The newer version doesn't allow collection of argon/xenon gas anymore it seems after switching to regolith (but for some reason allow distillation for liquid hydrogen). Lemme see what I can poke around in the cfg.

ahhhhh air scoops that's what he meant. super! Problem solved.

- - - Updated - - -

Shoot, that was from an outdated version. The newer version doesn't allow collection of argon/xenon gas anymore it seems after switching to regolith (but for some reason allow distillation for liquid hydrogen). Lemme see what I can poke around in the cfg.

ohhhhh i see

ahhhhh air scoops that's what he meant. super! Problem solved.

- - - Updated - - -

ohhhhh i see

Yeah, it is the air scoop. I was thinking the distiller from the old version when it was able to distill gas from karbonite lol.

You use the atmosphere scoop to collect gas now.

Cool thing about Regolith is, you can easily define resources yourself, just read through the configs that are already in the mod to get a grip on it. As someone using NFP as well, adding for example Hydrogen to the atmospheres of gas giants is a great thing to do :)

I think the air scoop only works within atmospheres, for collecting smaller amounts of resources from orbit, look into the particle collector.

Cool thing about Regolith is, you can easily define resources yourself, just read through the configs that are already in the mod to get a grip on it. As someone using NFP as well, adding for example Hydrogen to the atmospheres of gas giants is a great thing to do :)

I think the air scoop only works within atmospheres, for collecting smaller amounts of resources from orbit, look into the particle collector.

The particle collector doesn't seem to collect gas anymore, just Karbonite. Which...kind of make sense.

I was thinking like, it is a particle collector that is designed collect these magic karbonite particles, not scooping up gasses? Do we have xenon/argon gas in space near planets and stuff? I imagine they would be captured into the atmosphere or something. But I have no idea about that.

Well, air also consists of *particles* if particle encases molecules. And the thing with gasses is, planetary atmospheres do not end in reality like they do in ksp, they fade out. Thats why the ISS needs propellant and occasional burns, same goes for satellites. Over a long time, their orbits would decay (not only, but also) due to very low, but noticeable drag.

That gives us the concept of scoops, and one big problem, that is: can I actually get more propellant with my scooping array than I need to stop myself from falling on the planet? For that you generally require engines with a very high specific impulse, like electrical ones. So much to what I know about the theory.

Oh, and Xenon and Argon probably not in sufficient concentrations (I think) but one other element in vast abundance, Hydrogen! With a little imagination the "rule of cool" on your side, Jool turns into one large fuel depot! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.