[1.3.0] Mobile Frame System [MFS] (v0.3.3) [29.05.2017]

riocrokite

cheers,

working on cabins now (no IVAs), I need to do them all at once, so I can model proper end-caps for horizontal frame.

there will be 3 (not 4 as shown on image), so 3kerbal wide cabin, 1 kerbal cabin and 1 kerbal external seat with rollcageMpEdg65.png

Oh, that looks like it'll be good! Can't wait to try 'em out (even without IVA, for now) and I know they'll be better once there's some way to peek out from inside. Looks like good high-visibility driving cabs.

we need more rockets Jeb...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

but seriously, cabins mostly done (exterior for now), working on concaved docking port so I can integrate it with containers and modules to go with the frame. Don't worry about cabin second color (green), it will be swappable.

Edited by riocrokite

I'm currently collecting half-done bits to make an update available for testing. Proper cargo containers and generators will be moved to next phase since I have to synchronize resources textures to reduce memory footprint so probably will have to release phase II and III altogether.

So for now I'll release temporary container with single texture for all resources (planned resources: stock, MKS/OKS and Karbonite)

However there will be an option to download alternate textures for cabin and container so I can have feedback from you guys how this system works.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm currently collecting half-done bits to make an update available for testing. Proper cargo containers and generators will be moved to next phase since I have to synchronize resources textures to reduce memory footprint so probably will have to release phase II and III altogether.

So for now I'll release temporary container with single texture for all resources (planned resources: stock, MKS/OKS and Karbonite)

However there will be an option to download alternate textures for cabin and container so I can have feedback from you guys how this system works.

http://imgur.com/a/K0LZO

I really, really, want these.

• 2 weeks later...

New version is up. If you use Stork mod you'll have to update it as well because of different folder structure.

Testers needed. This time I added a ton of hidden attachment nodes to parts. Is this affecting performance outside of editor?

Edited by riocrokite

New version is up. If you use Stork mod you'll have to update it as well because of different folder structure.

Testers needed. This time I added a ton of hidden attachment nodes to parts. Is this affecting performance outside of editor?

Sweet! Thanks! Not sure if the updated version with the depreciation will break any existing vehicles, but i went ahead and scrapped what i had deployed anyway.

Sweet! Thanks! Not sure if the updated version with the depreciation will break any existing vehicles, but i went ahead and scrapped what i had deployed anyway.

yah, most likely it will break existing stuff since I did a lot of renaming and changed paths in cfg files. I'll try to add some kind of diagram later on since some vertical parts might be confusing at first (how and where attach them).

feedback (also concerning how this fits with stork mod) will be appreciated :)

Since I'll be working next on cargo containers set for MKS/Karbonite/my mining expansion resources, here are preliminary calculations comparing current capacity of RoverDude's FTT tanks and my design.

Calculations for 4 resources - LFO, metal and ore:

Real world containers have structural weight to payload capacity >10%. Stock KSP tanks have ratios of about 11-14% (11.1% for orange jumbo tank)

FTT kontainers FUEL:

FTT CURRENT:

kontainer mk1: 4050 LF, 4950 Ox 45t fuel 0.75t str.weight = 1.66%

kontainer mk2: 6075 LF, 7425 Ox 67.5t fuel 0.75t str.weight = 1.11%

kontainer mk3: 12150 LF,14850 Ox 135t fuel 3.35t str.weight = 2.48%

FTT BALANCED AGAINST STOCK and RL (heavier tanks, 30% less capacity)

kontainer mk1: 2880 LF, 3520 Ox 32t fuel 2t str.weight = 6.25%

kontainer mk2: 4320 LF, 5280 Ox 48t fuel 3t str.weight = 6.25%

kontainer mk3: 8640 LF,10560 Ox 96t fuel 6t str.weight = 6.25%

MFS MY DESIGN:

MFS container: 1440 LF, 1770 Ox 16t fuel 1t str.weight = 6.25%

MFS container long: 2880 LF, 3520 Ox 32t fuel 2t str.weight = 6.25%

If you compare sizes my current MFS1 container is visibly 2 times smaller than FTT kontainer mk1. That's why I balanced it against non-existing rebalanced kontainer mk1. This way it's also more consistent in weight and volume with stock fuel tanks.

================== ORE / METAL ===================

FTT - CURRENT ORE/METAL capacity

kontainer mk1: 9000ore, 9000met 247.5t/351t 0.75t str.weight = 0.3%/0.21%

kontainer mk2:13500ore,13500met 371.3t/526.5t 0.75t str.weight = 0.2%/0.14%

kontainer mk3:27000ore,27000met 742.5t/1053t 3.35t str.weight = 0.45%/3.2%

FTT - BALANCED AGAINST STOCK and RL (heavier tanks, 4 times smaller capacity)

kontainer mk1: 2250ore/2250metal 61t/87t 2t str.weight = 3.3%/2.3%

kontainer mk2: 3375ore/3375metal 93t/132t 3t str.weight = 3.2%/2.3%

kontainer mk3: 6750ore/6750metal 186t/264t 6t str.weight = 3.2%/2.3%

MY DESIGN:

MFS container: 1125ore/1125metal 30t/43t 1t str.weight = 3.3%/2.3%

MFS container long: 2250ore/2250metal 61t/87t 2t str.weight= 3.3%/2.3%

Real-life ore kontainers have ratio of about 8%+ when speaking about str.weight and max cargo capacity.

So again I'm balancing by making heavier containers and reducing capacity 4x compared to FTT kontainers. Even with this pass you can see that they still are 'overpowered' compared to reallife with ratios of 3.3% and 2.3%. So no more situations when you can haul/store massive tonnage (351t of metal) in a single relatively small container and build a massive rocket from it (using Extraplanetary Launchpads).

EDIT: Please don't bother RoverDude about rebalancing his FTT kontainers, since he has his own ideas. We have also agreed that I won't make rebalance MM config file for his FTT kontainers since it adds to already time-consuming support workload for him. In the end a player could use his kontainers or mine depending on what one likes.

Edited by riocrokite

Are any of the vehicles shown in the OP available as craft files.?????

I just wanted to see some of those to get ideas on how all goes together...

thanks...

I'll prepare some visual help after the weekend so it's easier to understand what parts is where and connects with what ;)

Hello to all. Does anyone have any craft files using this mod that they would care to share????

I am trying to see how they fit together and a craft or two would help.

many thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/942di000q4q6jy9/AADONZ1zb1Oebe0PdSsi9sYma?dl=0

there you go :

'01 fuel truck' - with hidden lv-n between containers.

'02 cargo truck with crane' - as name description, you need to install KAS and then magnet or winch to the end of movable frame to make use of it. You can also try with docking ports but docking ports with IR are very buggy atm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.