unstable Win x64 Version?

Hi there!

Am i the only one, who feels like KSP is crashing faster on x64 since 0.90?

I know, Win x64 "cause crashes unrelated to mods", but i loved to play since 0.24 or 0.25 with x64 because that memory thingy.

I had more than 70 Mods running and it worked - most of the time.

But since the last updates i only can use 30/35 Mods and KSP will crash to desktop.

And the crashes are randomly:

while loading, at startscreen, while loading into game (Space Center), clicking anything at VAB, while go to starting ramp... and so on.

It's not reproduceable...

I personaly think, Squad should have a look at the Win x64 or possibly integrate a working modmanager like CKAN and compatible MODs.

In that state KSP isn't a real fun, because i am more loading, installing mods and uninstalling mods as i play...

thanks,

Kerman.

The Win64 version has gotten less stable starting around 0.25 or so. It's unfortunate, and sadly it is something that is out of Squad's ability to fix as it is a low level problem with Unity. Hopefully when Unity 5 arrives Win64 will become more stable, but we'll have to wait and see.

KSP win64 got nastily unstable in 0.90. 0.90 is actually the first version which I have ever had a CTD on, and I ramp to 5.5GB of mem usage. If partitioning your disk or making a removable boot device is an option, Linux might be worth your time. Alternatively you could try and squeeze your mod load down to a 32 bit install. Look at Active Texture Management, DDSLoader & DDS4KSP, and forcing openGL or DirectX 11 (this one will cause some graphical issues). You can also knock down your texture res but this is gonna REALLY hurt the graphical fidelity. Given the game isn't some multi-million dollar VFX masterpiece, that's not something I personally am willing to sacrifice.

Normally I'm a huge proponent of KSP win64, to the point of at one point having a sig quote which read "I got 99 problems and KSP Win_64 ain't one."

0.90 has challenged that and made it a lot less stable. I can only guess it had to do with all the sweeping code changes it made and how that compiled on 64 bit.

Just use the 32-bit version with OpenGL. I'm running about 30 mods, including Interstellar, B9, KW, Astronomers Pack - High Res with a maximum memory usage of about 2.2GB. Takes a bit of messing around to get AA working, but it runs just as well with less than half the memory use.

I don't know why everyone doesn't dual-boot with Linux, for all your computing needs... I spend 99.9% of my time on Linux, only rarely ever boot the windows partition if I really have to i.e. some proprietary software that won't play nice in WINE, or recently to update my BIOS (only because it was simpler to do that in windows)... I probably wouldn't be playing KSP today if it wasn't linux compatible. The only game that I have that I can't play in Linux, is Skyrim (and honestly I probably could, with some mucking around)

Not trying to start an OS flame war, I hate those, but yeah... Linux does it for me. KSP is a mega bonus.

I don't know why everyone doesn't dual-boot with Linux, for all your computing needs...

Being a web applications programmer, I am constantly using Linux for hosting web servers, etc., so I have lots of experience with the OS. Linux is a great OS, but it unfortunately comes up short in currently being able to replace Windows for many applications. I used to do the dual-boot setup before my KSP days, and I found that I was having to reboot into Windows a lot because Linux didn't have a replacement program or WINE support for something I needed to do... and then I realized that everything I was doing in Linux could be done in Windows, so why am I inconveniencing myself with constantly rebooting back and forth between the two? Today, my home computer is both my personal and work computer. My production servers are ran in the cloud, and I run my development/test servers in Linux virtual machines within my Windows operating system. I also have several scripts that run through task scheduler that require Windows. So the fact that I would only use a Linux partition for KSP 64bit and the fact that I need my Windows environment running always pretty much makes dual-booting not an option for me.

On a side note. I wish Squad had not released KSP x64 for Windows. It has been way too buggy and, for the modding community, it has been a complete headache. A 64bit release should have waited until Unity 5.

Edited by sjohnson0684

On a side note. I wish Squad had not released KSP x64 for Windows. It has been way too buggy and, for the modding community, it has been a complete headache. A 64bit release should have waited until Unity 5.

They didn't want to release it, the only reason they did was because somebody figured out how to pull the x64 Unity binaries from the Unity installer and "hack" KSP to run as a 64 bit application on Windows. Surprisingly, the old 64 bit hack was more stable than Win64 KSP is now.

Quite frankly, Win64 KSP is about as stable as an elephant rolling down a hill; that's about the most politically correct way of describing it and even then it falls shorts. I've gone back to 32 bit KSP and managing, extremely tightly, what mods go in.

Hi again.

tried over Steams last stable x64 version 0.25.

Unmodded it went fine until i changed VSB to Startramp or back to Space Center.

In x32 the same. Stable until i changed the VAB to Startramp or Space Center.

Modded it was terrible unstable. Then i tried the CKAN for ver. 0.25 Mods... Unstable!

There was no diffenrence between handish selected Mods or automated by CKAN.

All resulting in a unstable version without a repeatable/forced CTD.

Crashed at selecting an item at VAB, rotating an item at VAB, Rotating on startramp, switching between vessels, switching between VAB/ramp/Center/Science or SPH-Screen.

The Errorlogs went between 70% and 93% RAM, and all errors were pointing at Unity Player:

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module KSP.exe at "different adresses" .

and

71% memory in use.

6911 MB physical memory [1999 MB free].

13819 MB paging file [5464 MB free].

8388608 MB user address space [8385972 MB free].

Write to location 041d0000 caused an access violation.

or

84% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [1104 MB free].

0 MB paging file [0 MB free].

0 MB user address space [133 MB free].

Read from location 00000ffc caused an access violation.

After i tried this old 0.25 version without a better stabillity i went back to 0.90 in x32.

Same (unmodded and modded, handish and automated via CKAN) results.

Exept the crashes didn't come randomly like in ver. 025, they only come at switching the screens fom VAB to start and start to center or space to center.

But the error.log gives the output: Unity Player

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module mono.dll at "different adresses".

and

85% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [1000 MB free].

0 MB paging file [0 MB free].

0 MB user address space [125 MB free].

Write to location 00401000 caused an access violation.

Now all logs had 0 MB.

I hate to say that, but before implementing "heat reentry" or "new clouds" SQUAD should have a look at these problems with Unity Player!

That's not a ver. 1.0-worthy gameplay at the moment :-(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.