When building...why start with control module?

Ok, so I've been playing KSP for a little bit now, and absolutely love it. Not only on my own, but it allows me to spend both a fun time, and educational one at that with my nephew. So one afternoon, both of us (my nephew and I) were building a command module, and then we decided we wanted to build a space station and he and I both had the same thought. Why does the program make you start off with a command capsule before you can build, and secondly, if you build a really cool capsule, why can't you load it, and then load say, a delta IV booster set to connect to your already saved project. In other words, lets look at it like this.

1. Spend time building a cool Orion replica service module and saved it.

2. In order to launch it, I have to build the boosters on top of the Orion replica.

Option here: What if I just want to build the boosters so I can attach them to another neat item I want to put into space? Like a shuttle, or cargo, etc.

So, let's say you have the boosters configured, when you take away the command module, the rest of the items on the screen are now useless, unless you put another command module on the current screen, and you can't load something else, because it wipes out what is currently there. I'm hoping this makes sense. Basically this is what I was wanting to do.

1. Create space station and save it.

2. Create Orion service module and save it.

3. Create Delta IV booster set and save it.

Now, when I want to launch either one, here's what I'd like to do.

1. Load Orion Service Module

2. Load Delta IV boosters, and attach to previously loaded Orion Module.

3. Launch vehicle.

Same thing with space station.

1. Load space station

2. Load rockets to put station in orbit

3. Launch station into orbit.

Can you guys do this? Would make the game a lot more fun, instead of having to load so many parts to get things going. Many thanks, and if this has already been discussed, I am sorry, but as I said, I'm new to the game and am loving it. Also, why in the world does the game require so much memory (last count, it was holding on to 5 gigs of memory, and eating up my swap file rapidly...bringing the game to almost a stand still at times...) Many thanks, and fly safe everyone.

Hank:)

Since KSP 0.22, you can already save partially-built vessels as as subassemblies.

So here's how your workflow would actually look like:

1. Create Delta IV booster set

2. Drag everything into subassembly area and save it as "Delta IV booster set"

3. Create Orion Service Module / Space Station / some other payload

4. Open up subassemblies list, drag out Delta IV booster set and attach to payload

5. Save combined vessel

6. Launch vessel

This is how I'm playing my own space program - I have a number of booster sets (Javelin, Javelin II, Magnum-K, Magnum-K II) already saved as subassemblies, and after I build my payload, I choose the appropriate booster subassembly and save the whole thing.

Notes:

- A root node of a subassembly needs at least one empty stacked attachment node, where the subassembly can be attached to later rockets

- A subassembly can't be used as the first part

- All subassemblies are shared between both buildings but not between save games

Since Subassemblies are harder to find than they used to be:

I'll go out on a limb and say this is a screenshot by NecroBones:

KSP%202015-01-16%2019-21-34-78.jpg

In the upper left corner, there's an arrow button. Click that to get the advanced assembly options. Then click on the sideways rocket with the teal background – that's Subassemblies, where you can drop and save boosters, lifters, landers, modules, or whatever else you create.

You also don't need to start with a command part – that's just the default, unless it was changed back in 0.90 and I haven't noticed yet.

You also don't need to start with a command part – that's just the default, unless it was changed back in 0.90 and I haven't noticed yet.

That's correct - the root part does not need to be a command part. I've used random structural parts myself and built my boosters underneath.

That's correct - the root part does not need to be a command part. I've used random structural parts myself and built my boosters underneath.

You guys rock!!! Wow, this is going to blow my nephew's mind. Now all those hours of making rockets, we can just connect and fly! Installed the Mech Jeb, and man that's awesome too. No longer am I wearing out #2 pencils trying to figure out the burn time to get a perfect circular orbit... :) Thanks again you guys, millions. BTW, swapped over to Ubuntu, to play 0.90 and seems like there is no lag when it comes to the system, and it's only using 47% of my memory total, instead of the rediculous 90-95% in Windows 7. (Both running in 64bit mode... and no crashes in Linux yet...). Can anyone tell me (besides the fact that Windows is a memory leaking hog) why this is??? My system is as follows:

Toshiba Satellite P775-S7100

Intel i5 Processor

Intel 3000 HD Graphics

6 GB DDR3 memory

(In Windows Mode) Windows 7 Home Premium Edition SP1

750GB HDD (Toshiba)

Swap File is 6GB

(In Ubuntu Mode on secondary ATA Controller) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

320GB Seagate Momentus

Am running dual monitors (Laptop display, native at 1600x900 (16:9) and Samsung 17" (In Win7, this display is 1280x1024, in Ubuntu it's at 1600x1200 at 4:3)

Many thanks again, you all are great, and fly safe!

What I did with this was to do some certification flights. I'd name my subassembly with mass to LKO defined as "100km equatorial" (I had 3 subassemblies, for 3 mass ranges), with rated transfer stages from LKO to elsewhere. Basically, it was a fully modular program.

In the release thread of the first few versions of the game on the Orbiter Forum, back when it was in pre-alpha, HarvesteR said that it was due to how the tree system works and how command is input that it makes it easiest to start with a command pod. Since 0.20, you don't have to start with a command pod, you can use most parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.