What's the use of The Not-Rockomax Micronode?

For creating a surface node? Then the Cubic Octagonal Strut should be a better choice, it's cheaper and weighs only 1kg (it's a massless part in fact), besides IIRC Micronode cannot be attached radially.

For connecting things in intersect point? We can simply put anything on then use the rotate magic or add more girder if you prefer.

The point is, it's too HEAVY! I think that thing was made from pure solid steel or something.

A tiny node weighs 150kg, can you believe that? It weighs the same as TWO grabbing units!

It's small, suitable for small crafts, but its incredible weight made it bad for small crafts, that‘s why I never use it.

Edited by SaturnV

Its designed for constructions with I-beams and girder segments. Its a corner piece. Outside of working with these you will be perennially confounded by its uselessness. And, BTW, you can alter its node attach in the cfg.file.

For creating a surface node? Then the Cubic Octagonal Strut should be a better choice, it's cheaper and weighs only 1kg (it's a massless part in fact), besides IIRC Micronode cannot be attached radially.

True.

But even then, I try to keep as far away as possible from the Cubic Octagonal Strut as well, as it is buggy as hell.

I had several perfectly good (and stable!) designs ruined by that part randomly causing explosive wobbles... running mission in ships that can randomly explode for no reason at the worst possible time is BEYOND frustrating.

Down with that damn Krakennite-steel made strut!

(Seriously, try it: stack 3 Octagonal on top of each other, then put 8 long girders radially on each stack... it will wobble-explode within 5 seconds on launchpad. Using less girders does make it somewhat stable but even so the wobble-explode bug will hit at any time without warning...)

It is rather heavy, but if you want the definite attachment of a real node rather than putting stuff on radially it's useful. This is less of an issue now we have the gizmos, but previously it was hard to line up radial attachements precisely. I've used it for small rovers - start with a micronode with its main nodes oriented up-down and build off it, then you can easily attach it to a ship either wheels-inwards or wheels-outwards as you choose. A bit of weight is generally a good thing on a rover too, build too light and you'll have poor grip. Example: https://flic.kr/p/pLpF2d

Or you can just make Tetris blocks with it :D

Fuel flow rules are also different for axial connections. Since that is the first 6 way node unlocked, I used it as the root of my my first career VTOL (for surveys). Cubic Struts of Doom do weird things for fuel draw.

Basic jet on bottom, SAS and docking port on top, fuel tanks front and back. Fuel lines from the SAS to the main engine and fuel will drain in a symmetrical manner. A MK1 cockpit, Science Jr and Goo Pod just about balances the engine. Small fuel tanks or solar panels (with wings) cover the hole.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.