insufficient docking control

My docking control keys seem to be boogered up.

I have rendevoused with another orbiting craft, and am in postion nearby.

I have keys ijkl mapped for left - right - up - down translation, and H-N for forward - back.

However, instead of translating left-right, the J & L keys produce exactly the same up-down movement as the K-I keys. I have no left-right control whatever. The WASD keys produce rotation instead of translation.

When in staging mode, the right hand 4-key set again produces only up-down translation.

I have two RCS thrusters on opposite sides of an upper stage.

Is there a solution? Other people seem to be docking OK.

If you're only using two thruster blocks and they are smack in your center of mass, they are probably having a hard time turning the vessel. You also might have the single vector blocks on it, but I'm only guessing.

Generally I find I need at least four blocks. Three might work, but I imagine it would be squirrely.

If you are using the 4 nozzle RCS thrusters, you will need to place at least 4 of them on your craft to achieve the required translation movements. One each on the top and bottom of your craft will give you backwards/forwards as well as left/right translation. One each on the left and right of your craft will also give you backwards/ forwards but will also provide up/down.

If you are only using two, that's your problem.

If you've only got two thruster blocks you'll have to roll your ship 90° to get the missing direction (up/down of left/right).

Thanks. That makes sense.

I am now synching orbits and will be trying that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.