Methods for Renaming Craft

BlkBltChemie

I had originally intended to make this a guide to renaming craft in the tracking station/map mode only since they are less well known; however, I thought I would do it right and make a general tutorial on the three methods for renaming. The three methods are: right clicking a command module in staging (craft/flight) mode, from the craft information panel in the tracking station or map mode, or by editing the save file.

Method 1: Right Click in Staging (Craft/Flight) Mode

1. Right click on the craft's command module (probe core or capsule)
  2. Left click on blue button next to "Rename Vessel."
  3. Enter the desired name or change the craft's classification.
  4. Select "OK" to and click away from the craft to remove the right click menu.

In this example, I rename my Munar Rescue Ship since it has completed its mission and is now on the way home.

3qIpibi.jpg

This method can also be used to rename asteroids when docked via the Advanced Grabbing Unit (Claw) - right click on the asteroid itself rather than the craft's command module.

(Image coming after my next asteroid capture mission...)

Method 1 does not work while at time-warp. It also does not work if the probe core does not have any electric charge or if there are no Kerbals in the capsule.

KWKYBNI.jpg

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 600]

[TR]

[TD]What it Works For[/TD]

[TD]What it Doesn't Work For[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Craft with a probe core[/TD]

[TD]Will not work if the probe core does not have enough electric charge[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Craft with a capsule[/TD]

[TD]Will not work if there are no Kerbals in the capsule[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Asteroids captured with the Claw[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Any craft that do not have a command module (probe core/capsule) - debris, flags, etc.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Method 2: Using the Information Panel in the Tracking Station/Map Mode

(Note: To use this method in map mode, the navball must be visible - this is part of the "Map Items Cannot Be Toggled Bug".)

1. Select the craft you wish to edit.
  2. Left click on the "i" icon to open the vessel information panel.
  3. Left click on the orange bar containing the vessel name.
  4. Enter the desired name or change the craft's classification.
  5. Select "OK" to save changes.

In this example, I rename an asteroid that I previously placed into orbit around Minmus.

SruXYHd.jpg

The main advantage of this method is that it allows you to rename vessels that do not have an active command module - debris, flags (only the name, not the plaque text to the best of my knowledge), dead probes, unmanned ships, etc.

From the tracking station, you can rename a craft while at time warp; however, you cannot rename a craft in map mope while at time warp.

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 600]

[TR]

[TD]What it works for[/TD]

[TD]What it doesn't work for[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Any craft with a probe core[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Any craft with a capsule[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Debris[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tracked asteroids (even if you have stopped tracking them) - for asteroids you have not yet docked with, the name bar is blue instead of orange, but still works.[/TD]

[TD]Unknown objects (the ? asteroids before you track them the first time)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Flags[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Method 3: Save File Editing

CAUTION: Edit save files at your own risk! Backing up files before editing is strongly recommended!

1. Open the persistent.sfs file in a text editor (e.g. Notepad) of your choice.
  2. Craft may be found by searching for "VESSEL" with match case checked (or by the craft's name if you know it) - its towards the top of the save file.
  3. Kerbals may be found by searching for "ROSTER" (or by the Kerbal's name if you know it) - it is the last item in the save file. (This is currently the only way to rename Kerbals.)

In this example I have changed the classification of the "ship" Orbital 1 to "debris" because it ran out of fuel before I could decrease the periapsis into the atmosphere for reentry. I forgot to rename the ship prior to rescuing my Kerbal pilot and hadn't learned about the option to rename from the Tracking Station yet.

{
pid = 591226f398bb47b38d28b412f0703b0c
name = Orbital I
type = Debris
sit = ORBITING
landed = False
landedAt =
splashed = False.
VESSEL

This is an excerpt of Jeb's entry in the roster.

{
KERBAL
{
name = Jebediah Kerman
type = Crew
brave = 0.5
dumb = 0.5
badS = True
state = Assigned

[INDENT] ...[/INDENT]

ROSTER

Edited by BlkBltChemie
Removed incorrect information regarding renaming Kerbals on EVA by Method 2

• 5 years later...

I know this is necroposting (because it's really old), but I had no idea this works! Thanks!

And yes it still works today in 1.10.1, I think the thread might close after this but I didn't know of this and it's really useful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.