Kerbin Geographic And Science Society

togfox

Okay, well then! I\'d like to submit a name for a continent, if I may. I\'m not sure whether there are even continent borders yet, so I\'ll just say 'for this kind of area':

Periculo. It means 'risk' in google translate\'s version of Latin...

Pronunciation: peh-rick-you-low

Attached map with name in general area...

HOC, can you make a map like that but of the Mun? And if possible, Minmus, too?

Sadly, the map is simply a cleaned-up version of the 'kerbinsites.jpg' togfox posted on the previous page. It was easy to do because everything at sea-level on Kerbin is... well... sea and there is a very distinct difference between land and sea.

A Minmus map in the same style would be the next easiest one to make, but there is such a little difference between the frozen lakes and the surrounding land that I can\'t accurately judge what is land and what isn\'t.

The Mun\'s craters are next, and that\'s the hardest because, being craters, they slope upwards and I can\'t call a definite edge.

I\'m going to look out for other resources to make those maps, but I can\'t do it tonight. (probably)

Thanks for that HOC.

The challenge is how to define continents and where to draw the borders. Islands are easy - they have natural borders. Mountain rangers are distinct - they start somewhere and stop somewhere. Craters can be picked out from a map and spotted from orbit.

I\'m worried that the naming of continents will become an arbitrary exercise with no clear guidance on where the borders are. Can I suggest you start another thread in this fan forum (so you have poll control), tag it with [invention] and see what the community thinks. If you can get community acceptance of your idea\'s/methods then the KGSS will recognise any outcome that was determined fairly.

I suggest another thread because there are a lot of continents (presumably) and there is enough creative idea\'s to support a whole thread.

Ah, great idea. I\'ll go away and set up the thread now, and link to it when I do. I\'d recommend placing that link on the original message of this thread because that way whenever a member loads up the page they\'ll have a fighting chance of spotting what\'s going on and hopefully go to the poll.

I\'m planning to have the various polls decide:

1: How many continents there should be

2: What their names should be

3: Where their borders should be

(possibly in that order)

The way I intend to do things is to propose an idea, and have members vote their opinion. The idea shall be largely taken from the responses on the thread.

Eg: Here\'s where I propose we place the (now chosen- this is theoretical, keep up) continents\' borders, for reasons x, y and z.

Poll: AGREE

DISAGREE

Should there be more than three tenths of the community who disagree, I\'ll take a look at the replies and once more formulate a new proposal to put through the system. \'3 tenths\' because settling for what only half or more of the community seems to want isn\'t all that fair- I\'m sure in most circumstances a better plan would yield more votes than that.

All of the above is subject to change, as it is purely off of the top of my head.

THREAD LINK: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=14371.0

Greetings! I\'ve looked through this thread (albeit briefly) and I can\'t see any mention of how to get the mapping data. I thought people would be using the ISA Mapping Plugin (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=10324.0), but as that doesn\'t work with .15 I\'m not sure what\'s being used now.

I\'d like to try my hand at collecting my own information and generating a map from that. I\'ve used the data in the first post in Surfer to make a pretty good one, but the data isn\'t all that accurate, only going out to two decimal places. I\'d like to do one that goes out to four.

If someone could give me a heads up I\'d appreciate it!

The KGSS Chief Cartographer, togfox, wrote an article on an alternative mapping method. You can find it in Edition 1 of the KGSS Journal which can be downloaded from the thread linked to in my signature. I hope this is helpful :D.

Most Excellent! Thank you very much! I\'d seen the document before, but as the title was 'Orbiting our home' I didn\'t realize it had anything to do with cartography. THAT\'LL teach me to not read the fine print ???

Well, it\'s under 5M (2.24) so it should have been fine to attach, but that didn\'t work. :D

It\'s a PNG, and weirdly enough it\'s larger as a JPG lol

Tested out the link on another computer and yeah, the Skydrive is not going to do it. Trying flickr this time.

As you can see by the file name, it has no notations. I\'m using this to keep track of things I find (and leave) on the Mün.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7108/7447652932_7e3157a7b5_k.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.