Elite: Dangerous

cicatrix

Some very long time ago I used to spend my time playing the very first Elite. It had awful graphics (by today's standards):

6108-Elite1.jpg

but it was so addicting that I used to spend a lot of time with it. I skipped all the sequels (Frontiers, First encounter, etc) but now I watched a gameplay video from the new Elite: Dangerous and felt a pang of nostalgia.

My question is - is it worth buying it or am I going to be disappointed?

No idea myself. Elite was, pretty boring for me. I liked the concept, but it felt like a grind. Go to one star and hope there's not a pirate...

I think it would be better if the game had more of a difficulty CURVE, and not a difficulty sine graph...

But that's just me...

I think Dangerous will be better with that kind of stuff, though.

But you know what's interesting? Frontier and First Encounters had realistic Solar Systems! Procedurally generated. I would like to know how....

But you know what's interesting? Frontier and First Encounters had realistic Solar Systems! Procedurally generated. I would like to know how....

That's not a very hard thing to do. I think the whole solar system can be described by only a handful of figures (radius, mass, distance from the star, etc). You get a seed number from random number generator and then some math formulas to derive all of the above. So, in order to re-create this system you only have to know the initial seed.

That's not a very hard thing to do. I think the whole solar system can be described by only a handful of figures (radius, mass, distance from the star, etc). You get a seed number from random number generator and then some math formulas to derive all of the above. So, in order to re-create this system you only have to know the initial seed.

They aggregated the whole thing from an accretion disk and its momentum! How should people do that?

Anyhow, I made a thread about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.