Need Help In Not Sucking With Planes

Ancient Attero

So like most of you i\'ve turned Kerbal Space Program into Kerbal Flight Program. Well actually it went from KSP to KRCP for 'Rocket Car' thanks to the Cart addon, so much fun. Anyway, I\'ve now taken a much wider look at C7 and crafting planes. Now im not sure if its my designs, me, or a lack of proper controls, but when banking or changing pitch on my planes it always seems to bounce around. Its never just a gradual pitch change, its like a rubber-band. For example when trying to go up it goes, but then falls, up, down, up, down, wobble wobble.

Now i\'ve seen videos of people who expertly maneuver their planes with such grace, HOW DO I DO THIS?!

Well, seeing as the pitch/roll/yaw controls tend to be quite responsive in KSP, I suggest you try turning on precision controls (CAPS-LOCK) and see if that allows you to fly gracefully. The more robust attitude controls are more useful for space, but for planes and controlled descent, precision controls tend to be a must.

I\'ll admit this is just a suggestion; I myself won\'t be messing with planes till after .15 comes out. But if you feel as though the movement is too sharp (which is never what you want when dealing with planes), I suggest the best thing to try is precision mode.

Well, seeing as the pitch/roll/yaw controls tend to be quite responsive in KSP, I suggest you try turning on precision controls (CAPS-LOCK) and see if that allows you to fly gracefully. The more robust attitude controls are more useful for space, but for planes and controlled descent, precision controls tend to be a must.

I\'ll admit this is just a suggestion; I myself won\'t be messing with planes till after .15 comes out. But if you feel as though the movement is too sharp (which is never what you want when dealing with planes), I suggest the best thing to try is precision mode.

Thanks for the advice, i\'ll try it out. Curious though, what is new in .15 that has you interested in space planes?

I\'d suggest checking out White Owl\'s tutorial videos on the subject - they\'re fairly in-depth and cover design for a few different sizes, and (IIRC) have a few useful tips.

Also, the reason why 0.15 will be especially good for spaceplanes is that C7 was hired to integrate his part and plugin work into the stock game, as well as having a proper hangar for building spaceplanes and an improved runway for launching them horizontally.

I\'d suggest checking out White Owl\'s tutorial videos on the subject - they\'re fairly in-depth and cover design for a few different sizes, and (IIRC) have a few useful tips.

Also, the reason why 0.15 will be especially good for spaceplanes is that C7 was hired to integrate his part and plugin work into the stock game, as well as having a proper hangar for building spaceplanes and an improved runway for launching them horizontally.

WHEN!? NEED THIS NOW!

controlled descent

Is that even possible? I thought the lack of spoilers and flaps and airbrakes etc. made it hard to build planes that can land while flared and still fly forwards at a reasonable angle of attack with its lift/weight.

WHEN!? NEED THIS NOW!

Well, they\'re about ready to release the experimentals to the guinea pigs testers, so I figure we\'ll have it within the next week.

Is that even possible? I thought the lack of spoilers and flaps and airbrakes etc. made it hard to build planes that can land while flared and still fly forwards at a reasonable angle of attack with its lift/weight.

C7 Flight Pack.

I\'m very well aware of C7 and I reckon I have 50 .crafts that are based around it... but it still doesn\'t include lift-reducing, drag-increasing parts right now that can help you do a flared landing.

If the precision control doesn\'t help, what you need is less control surfaces. Have heavy lift flaps? Swap them out for the default ones. Have twenty flaps all over your plane? Cut half of them off. ;P

I\'m just going to cover all the bases here but for really smooth control of space planes a joystick is goingto be pretty much essential. Analog is going to beat near binary (i.e. keyboard) control every time. Shame there\'s a bug/issue with Unity reading joystick config\' settings so mine is useless.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

So like most of you i\'ve turned Kerbal Space Program into Kerbal Flight Program. Well actually it went from KSP to KRCP for 'Rocket Car' thanks to the Cart addon, so much fun. Anyway, I\'ve now taken a much wider look at C7 and crafting planes. Now im not sure if its my designs, me, or a lack of proper controls, but when banking or changing pitch on my planes it always seems to bounce around. Its never just a gradual pitch change, its like a rubber-band. For example when trying to go up it goes, but then falls, up, down, up, down, wobble wobble.

Now i\'ve seen videos of people who expertly maneuver their planes with such grace, HOW DO I DO THIS?!

Adding on to the stuff said by other people, just tapping the keys instead of holding them down works better. But I am better that at least 50% of those people are using joystick, as it is easier to fly that way.