Monoprop RCS, why bother since vernors are out?

They're extremely handy for docking and landing on other bodies. The Vernier engines are meant for bigger spacecraft (I've usually only use them in the first 3 stages or so for Apollo-like missions).

I've yet to find a need for Vernier engines. Even my Orange Tank dockings for one of my craft simply used the RCS thrusters. I don't find them worth the value in dV once in orbit. Pricing of the equipment aside, it's a dV cost once I'm up that I'm worried about.

On the flipside, the 0-10 engines are awesome engines when you want to leave liquid fuel + oxidizer off a lightweight construction. It may just be a matter of building techniques and expectations.

Has it been a while since we've had one of these threads? I can't remember.

Your play-style doesn't use a part or set of parts, so those parts are useless. You ask other people to explain how they use them, and you argue with them about it instead of accepting their answers... :confused: Yeah, thanks for playing.

To answer the question, MP RCS is great for small vessels that need to dock or make minor mid-course corrections. I use them for the latter on interplanetary missions to make small, but extremely effective, course corrections during transfers without needing to change vessel attitude. Vernors would be too powerful to do this effectively and would screw with the total dV, but basically everyone else has said this already.

Edited by LethalDose

Your play-style doesn't use a part or set of parts, so those parts are useless. You ask other people to explain how they use them, and you argue with them about it instead of accepting their answers... :confused: Yeah, thanks for playing.

Quoted for emphasis.

I use the monoprop that comes in the pod as it's plenty to dock with. Vernors have too high thrust for my docking and other RCS usage, are too big and are single directional. I've used them a couple of times though - one was at the top of a Shuttle external tank to keep it pointed right (I had to be careful as it was also using my Orbiter's MP at the same time, because it's all RCS (no LFO on the Orbiter at all, OMS and RCS was all MP)) and one was as actual Vernier thrusters on a launcher. Ended up running out of fuel before I could get to orbit because the Vernors had used it all :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.