Cameras as an attachable science gizmo

My brother started playing KSP recently and had, what i think, is a very nice idea. Cameras.

What HE meant was photographic cameras. I told him just to take screenshots, but what he meant was to have the ability to take a snapshot of a moon or planet to return to Kerbin for science, much like the photographs of the dark side of the moon in the Apollo missions. I guess you could argue that the "crew report" would sort of include photographic evidence from the Kerbal inside the ship, but i did like his idea, and it got me thinking.

What about if there were video cameras that can be added to the exterior of the ship? The idea here is that you can actually hit a hotkey and have a first person angle from the cameras, and the best part is you get to choose where they're placed. Think of it as switching to IVA, but instead to a live camera feed. This would allow you to get angles which are inaccessible to the current camera settings. Also, I'd think they would be pretty fun to use around an orbiting space station.

Thoughts?

Show your brother this :)

At least it should cover the IVA and camera stuff (and besides, it's awesome).

And this one should cover all your needs for making science in orbit. It also has telescopes and lots of other neat stuff.

It's been done by mods and many wish for parts of these becoming integrated to the game.

Hullcam VDS does exactly this, up to 10 cameras. Kerbal CCTV extend this concept a bit more with actual screen and feed you can watch using your kerbal in EVA.

CactEye2 is specialized in orbital telescopes and science related to observing space objects.

Probe control room (requiring RPM) let you control a probe by information screens alone instead of magic 3rdperson view, and would make cameras for probes very useful.

In all, nifty idea as a mod. Though not sure useful enough to warrant being stock.

There's was a similar thread some days ago and actually most of users would love the idea of making science with photo. (Ex for a contract too: make a photo of ice caps of Duna)

So guys please stop making useless post with the same mod repeated again and again, if you don't understand what the OP means please do not comment, it's annoying for who is reading and absolutely not useful at all

Edited by Daze

There's was a similar thread some days ago and actually most of users would love the idea of making science with photo. (Ex for a contract too: make a photo of ice caps of Duna)

So guys please stop making useless post with the same mod repeated again and again, if you don't understand what the OP means please do not comment, it's annoying for who is reading and absolutely not useful at all

I disagree. Not one single mod was linked twice in the thread. Since when is it not helpful to direct someone to mods that might come close to the suggested idea? Maybe the person did not know about their existence and now he got some neat stuff to try out.

I disagree. Not one single mod was linked twice in the thread. Since when is it not helpful to direct someone to mods that might come close to the suggested idea? Maybe the person did not know about their existence and now he got some neat stuff to try out.

Since when the person taking in account is posting suggestion for developers in suggestions section , he is not asking for "hey guys what mod can do this.......?" :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.