Solar eclipse

Hcube

It was perfectly sunny day in here in Wroclaw (Poland), managed to snatch a few pictures with an old digi-cam (it had 6x lens zoom, but old matrix so result is pretty so-so) and before i managed to get decent enough settings it was all over :D

Used my trusty old "black CD's" (red black plastic with full black printing on it). It was giving a really good quality picture, and ability to watch it with both eyes without problems for long time(don't use this for any longer periods of time actually). Also tried welding goggles too but it was a mess.

b6padrbm.jpg

The ghosts were from an overprint on the CD leaking light... it looks cool at least :P pic taken at 10:51 (maximum sun cover)

OgoJdy4m.jpg

Best quality shot.

ihmiwBvb.gif

And a small gif compilation (8frames) - now i kick myself for not setting stuff up a day earlier and actually trying to make a one picture per minute photo. Grrr

Edited by Nao

Used my trusty old "black CD's" (red black plastic with full black printing on it). It was giving a really good quality picture, and ability to watch it with both eyes without problems for long time. Also tried welding goggles too but it was a mess.

What you did was an incredibly stupid thing to do. We were repeating over and over again NOT TO USE COMPACT DISCS or floppy discs but some people just won't listen and think they're smarter than anyone else.

Although visible light transmittance of such things can be low enough to allow your eyes to see an image that's not shiny, radiation from the Sun consists of other photons, too. Weird, huh?

Well there is infrared and ultraviolet. First one gives the sensation of heat, the second one gives you tan and sterilized surfaces.

In your case, you used a makeshift filter that blocks almost 0% of infrared radiation, meaning the transmittance was almost 100%.

In simple words, you were comfortanly watching the photosphere deprived of visible rays so your eyes didn't feel the need to close their eyelids, while the heat rays were unshielded, entering your eye and giving you a retinal sunburn.

Go to your doctor. Do not wait. Not "in a few days". NOW. If possible, go to the emergency immediately and tell them what you did.

Last years partial was kinda meh considering we had a total (annular) in 2012 right through the US.

Oh. I thought the path of that annular eclipse only extended across a thin strip of the desert southwest because sunset got in the way by the time it reached Texas?

What you did was an incredibly stupid thing to do. We were repeating over and over again NOT TO USE COMPACT DISCS or floppy discs but some people just won't listen and think they're smarter than anyone else.

Go to your doctor. Do not wait. Not "in a few days". NOW. If possible, go to the emergency immediately and tell them what you did.

Thank you for the concern, aside from the disc i did have additional shielding and used it mostly for the camera this time anyways, (I messed around with pinhole projectors).

But I do remember using the same (or very similar) discs for longer periods of time when i was a kid, when we had an eclipse somewhere in the 90's. Didn't have much information back then (no internet, and bad media coverage etc) so i guess i was lucky to not suffer problems afterwards~ (at least nothing showed up for now :P).

Still it was dumb of me to write that it was "good to watch" of course, i was thinking more about watching it without having to strain eyes to see details as it had good amount of dimming no artifacts. (ill strike that it in the original post)

Sorry for making you concerned, and thanks.

It was a bit cloudy but our teacher let us out of class early to see it! It was like a perfect cloud though because it meant i could still see the sun but i could also look at it! I live in northern England.

Here are my pics, not the best but i got some.

hvDVCPS.jpg

bGDR6qE.jpg

Thank you for the concern, aside from the disc i did have additional shielding and used it mostly for the camera this time anyways, (I messed around with pinhole projectors).

But I do remember using the same (or very similar) discs for longer periods of time when i was a kid, when we had an eclipse somewhere in the 90's. Didn't have much information back then (no internet, and bad media coverage etc) so i guess i was lucky to not suffer problems afterwards~ (at least nothing showed up for now :P).

Still it was dumb of me to write that it was "good to watch" of course, i was thinking more about watching it without having to strain eyes to see details as it had good amount of dimming no artifacts. (ill strike that it in the original post)

Sorry for making you concerned, and thanks.

Retinal damage does not work like that. It is cumulative. One day you'll find yourself being unable to read. What you see is not exactly what the retina sends to the brain. You see the image brain has patched up for you.

I urge you to go to the doctor to perform an emergency retinal examination using a slit lamp. This is not a matter of polite concern. I'm urging you to go because, based on what I've read about your viewing techniques, retinal damage is basically 100% certain.

There are certain emergency remedies to alleviate inflamation, but it has to be done urgently. It can not wait for a few days. It's a matter of your vision. You don't want such disability.

You're talking about dimming, and I'm telling you it's not about visible light. Shields you were using have pathetic infrared absorption and you can't see that because people don't see heat rays. You were essentially letting unfiltered solar heat to inscribe figures on your retina like a laser writing on and you still aren't aware of it.

worir4 and others - awesome work getting the crescent sun in a picture with terrestrial elements on it, I tried but couldn't get it to work; I suppose you need to wait for a right kind of cloud to get in front of the sun, or was there another technique you used..? Are those composites?

All I got was either a blown-out sun with an underexposed foreground, or the crescent sun with nothing else visible in the frame. So I just took some crescent pictures. Here's one from an early stage with one clearly visible sunspot.

DSC03333

I suppose you need to wait for a right kind of cloud to get in front of the sun, or was there another technique you used..? Are those composites?
Most I've seen appear to either be through heavy cloud, or have the sun overexposed but the lens flare shows the crescent shape.

Good photo from you.

So many cool images by you guys. =)

I suppose you need to wait for a right kind of cloud to get in front of the sun, or was there another technique you used..? Are those composites?

Most I've seen appear to either be through heavy cloud, or have the sun overexposed but the lens flare shows the crescent shape.

That's a good question. My camera settings for the direct eclipse photographing was:

F-stop: f/27

Exposure time: 1/4000. sec.

ISO: 100

So in my case the camera received as minimal with light as technically possible without resorting to any solar filtering... in fact I didn't even have any filters at all. Was afraid if I tried experimenting with any longer exposures multiple times in a row it'd risk damaging the sensor. The region was mostly covered by heavy clouding, but there was some moderately clouded patches that allowed me to photograph the event.

Probably will a picture of the then just recently peeking Sun give an idea about the scenario:

5DtyKaXl.jpg

Apparently it was a total eclipse, but the brightness of the court was the same as always at this time of the day, I wonder if I will ever in Poland such eclipse that was dark as night, just pitch dark.

I remember as a best friend and my cousin watched the eclipse of Sun in 1999, my father was a construction worker colleague so that each of us got our welding glass, so that we could watch the eclipse without fear that we damage our vision,

But even then, the sun shield wasn't fully covered by Moon :(

As for the last eclipse, unfortunately, I could not watch it because I was at work :(

worir4 and others - awesome work getting the crescent sun in a picture with terrestrial elements on it, I tried but couldn't get it to work; I suppose you need to wait for a right kind of cloud to get in front of the sun, or was there another technique you used..? Are those composites?

All I got was either a blown-out sun with an underexposed foreground, or the crescent sun with nothing else visible in the frame. So I just took some crescent pictures. Here's one from an early stage with one clearly visible sunspot.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PAfQZjZ2mRM/VQx718iuVzI/AAAAAAAAGGo/av-5ekgfv_o/w934-h622-no/DSC03333

I took that second picture with the trees in it with my Samsung s4 camera. I suppose I just got perfect clouds.

That sun spot is really cool!

Very nice picture, love the sunspot. I was shooting through some patchy cloud when I got the first photo. I didn't really have a choice but to shoot through the clouds. The second image was taken during clearer conditions. Camera settings were:

Exposure: 1/160

F-number: f/20

ISO: 64

Focal Length: 111mm

And the cloud cover at the time was "few clouds at 200, scattered at 700, broken at 1800".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.