DA Challange #1[Closed, participation unavailable]

DA_Challenge_number_1.png

The Challenge:

In this challenge, you'll need to make a plane that could land on ground and water, and fly in air and space.

made from stock parts only, your plane must complete the next steps in the following order and in the same flight:

Step 1: Takeoff from the Land.

Step 2: Land somewhere in the Sea.

Step 3: Takeoff from the Water.

Step 4: Rise up to 50000meters.

Step 5: Rise more and make a stable orbit.

Step 6: land somewhere in kerbin.

For each step you'll have to make an image set, or a video as an approvment.

Participation unavailable.

No results will be displayed.

Changelog:

(15.03.2015) With the following changes, praticipation end date was changed:

-Scoring system was updated.

-Rule 2 was updated.

-Rule 7 and rule *6.1 was added.

(24.03.2015)

- Challenge closed - Not enough challengers.

Edited by DeathApocalypse
Not enough challengers.

Here you go:

This is the same floatplane that I used to land on Laythe in the Jool-5 challenge (with one minor modification - the docking port was removed, as there's no need to dock in orbit to refuel for this challenge). Normally I would release the drop tanks once they are empty, but as the rules prohibit this, they stay attached.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I don't want to sound mean, but your scoring system seems... Wrong. Giving bonus points for videos is discriminating those with weaker rigs. And in the end, it's more than possible for more people to have the same score - how will you differentiate between those and decide who wins?

Edited by Deutherius

I don't want to sound mean, but your scoring system seems... Wrong. Giving bonus points for videos is discriminating those with weaker rigs. And in the end, it's more than possible for more people to have the same score - how will you differentiate between those and decide who wins?

I think you right about both things.

The bonus scoring for videos, is going to be removed.

But the option to gain extra points for making a "Mission video", will stay.

And from now, points will be also archived depending to Craft Mass, and Orbit Altitude(at step 5).

Introducing the Seagull MK-I, a medium sized watercraft SSTO.

In order to get out of the water more quickly and stop wasting fuel I added a small engine to the nose only that can be used to pitch the nose up once the engines are spooled up. This way it's much easier to lift off from the water without building an actual VTOL plane.

Providing Image album and Video, it may be a day before the video is up though, connection bandwidth is limited and video is LARGE to upload.

Here's the album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

In accordance with the new spec:

Craft mass: 17.4t

Orbit altitude PE: 75.986km

Orbit altitude AP: 84.277km

Edited by hoioh

When you say highest altitude, at the end, what exactly do you mean? If I understand correctly what you're saying (Highest orbit), what would happen if I escape Kerbin's SOI, and still return? I would make a rule that either restricts leaving Kerbin's SOI, or: the height points you created stay the same, but when leaving the SOI, the next big round whole number will be used which will also negate the your thing. That might a be a bit confusing. Here's an example: Player 1 gets craft to 80 km x 80 km orbit. Player 1 gets 0.01(80,000)=800 points. Player 2 escapes kerbin's SOI. He gets θ points, where θ>0.01y, where y is the max altitude of Kerbin's SOI (which I don't know off hand).

When you say highest altitude, at the end, what exactly do you mean? If I understand correctly what you're saying (Highest orbit), what would happen if I escape Kerbin's SOI, and still return? I would make a rule that either restricts leaving Kerbin's SOI, or: the height points you created stay the same, but when leaving the SOI, the next big round whole number will be used which will also negate the your thing. That might a be a bit confusing. Here's an example: Player 1 gets craft to 80 km x 80 km orbit. Player 1 gets 0.01(80,000)=800 points. Player 2 escapes kerbin's SOI. He gets θ points, where θ>0.01y, where y is the max altitude of Kerbin's SOI (which I don't know off hand).

I mean the highest altitude displayed in Flight Results window(Rule 7).

That would favor not circularizing. I would say highest kerbin periapsis is a better measurement. I didn't do the whole F3 thing on my run, that rule went up while I was uploading the images, so I'm replacing them with a new run with a periapsis of around 230Km

Introducing the Seagull MK-I, a medium sized watercraft SSTO.

In order to get out of the water more quickly and stop wasting fuel I added a small engine to the nose only that can be used to pitch the nose up once the engines are spooled up. This way it's much easier to lift off from the water without building an actual VTOL plane.

Providing Image album and Video, it may be a day before the video is up though, connection bandwidth is limited and video is LARGE to upload.

Here's the album:

In accordance with the new spec:

Craft mass: 17.4t

Orbit altitude PE: 75.986km

Orbit altitude AP: 84.277km

Rule 7-Must have screenshot with Vessel information window at the beginning, and Flight Results window at the end.

Please make another flight, with new screenshots, and flight results window by the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the water landing have to be done the classic way or can I use parachutes?

As i know, there is no Reusable parachutes in stock KSP. so no.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.